Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters

Hey Guys! :)

I have a few questions regarding reference letters as part of medical school applications. If I'm not mistaken, we need to have 3 letters. How should the referees be spread, in terms of profession and relationship with you, etc.? For example, I think the best combination is to have a research supervisor, an academic professor, and a community volunteer coordinator. What do you guys think? Also, in terms of an academic referee, how long should the individual have known you before (s)he may be able to write a stellar letter? Is one course (~4 months) a good time period? Last, and perhaps, most importantly, what is the emphases that admission committees place on reference letters?

Thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: Sorry guys! I meant to post this in Pre-Med forums, but I guess I'll just leave it here to be answered! :)

i think you should first make a list of all the people that already care about you and will be likely to speak highly of you (excluding family members and friends), and then eliminate based on how long they've know you, their professional status, etc. till you have three left.

research supervisor is not necessary because not everyone admitted to med school has done research. you can even ask your family doctor to write you a letter, if you feel like he/she'd say good things.

you totally don't have to go with the research super + prof + volunteer super combo. it's too rigid. just choose what will benefit you the most.

i think 4 months is enough if you think the prof knows you well enough to comment on things other than "hopeful.md has a perfect attendance, turns off his/her cellphone in class, and has a 93 in my class". i'd only worked with one of my referees for 3 months.

i think you should first make a list of all the people that already care about you and will be likely to speak highly of you (excluding family members and friends), and then eliminate based on how long they've know you, their professional status, etc. till you have three left.

research supervisor is not necessary because not everyone admitted to med school has done research. you can even ask your family doctor to write you a letter, if you feel like he/she'd say good things.

you totally don't have to go with the research super + prof + volunteer super combo. it's too rigid. just choose what will benefit you the most.

i think 4 months is enough if you think the prof knows you well enough to comment on things other than "hopeful.md has a perfect attendance, turns off his/her cellphone in class, and has a 93 in my class". i'd only worked with one of my referees for 3 months.

Great advice truffle! Thanks! :)

OH yeah, and make sure they can write a letter well. I had a great person write me a reference but I didn't realize that her english skills were very poor and that reflected in a very poor reference letter!!

Very, very true. I worked at a hospital for a few months and my supervisor was a terrible writer. She thought I was a great person, but just couldn't express it at all. She couldn't think of anything to write, and the second line of the one paragraph letter was "RCP90 has a great smile".

Needless to say, I didn't submit that one.

Very, very true. I worked at a hospital for a few months and my supervisor was a terrible writer. She thought I was a great person, but just couldn't express it at all. She couldn't think of anything to write, and the second line of the one paragraph letter was "RCP90 has a great smile".

And you have an unhealthy addiction to Nintendo 64 games. ;)

YOU GOT TO SEE OUR LETTERS BEFORE THEY ARE SUBMITTED? isn't that not allowed? those forms and letters are confidential, or did i miss something?

YOU GOT TO SEE OUR LETTERS BEFORE THEY ARE SUBMITTED? isn't that not allowed? those forms and letters are confidential, or did i miss something?

From what I have heard, applicants are allowed to review the letters before they are submitted, however they need to indicate on their application that they have done so. In this way, admissions committee will place a lesser emphasis on their letters because the applicant may have had an input into the letter after reviewing. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I condensed the story....

This letter was written before I considered applying to Med school (middle of first-year), and at that point, I asked for it to be written just in case I would need it down the road. So it wasn't as if it was to be sent to OMSAS and my supervisor acted unethically by showing it to me. I didn't even know what OMSAS was at that point.

She showed it to me in a "what do you think :) " kind of way. I asked her to keep the letter on file (why not), and I still talk to her now and again, so in theory, I could have used that exact letter.

I didn't use the letter when I applied this cycle. Hope that clarifies.

PS: leviathan, Goldeneye is still rock solid, even 12 years later. Respek.

Archived