Premed 101 Forums

Alternatives to Ontario Med Schools with a GPA around 3.5.

Rar

Hmm so you are saying that US grad and a carribean grad who end up going to the same place for residency in the US and want to come back to canada after they finish their residency are still not completely equal?

Correct. Because you did not attend a LCME accredited school it means you have stipulations before returning, if I understand the situation correctly.

excellent post...i agree with you, ontario does make it hard to get into med schools, but i suppose thats also because a lot of excellent candidates do apply so they have the luxury of picking the ones they think are the best...

ps: too late to apply for aus/uk now?

yes for UK, not too late for aus, infact you're early. They haven't even opened yet.

Hey everyone,

The posts on here are really interesting. I am wondering if anyone has any additional advice on financing/route to med school. I have an undergrad with a cGPA of 3.88, my mcat is low (b8, p7, v10, wsR), I have an MSc in evolutionary biology (research based+2 courses of B+ and A), and I am taking some undergrad courses now to fulfill prereqs (chem, phys, orgo.. probably finish the year with 6.0 credits and a 3.8). I am really upset that I didnt get any med school interviews this year. I applied OMSAS and am still waiting on U of T. I am an older applicant (30 w/ a spouse). I have dual citizenship (Canada/British). I have been on my own since I was 18 so my student debt is sky high. I was considering applying to SGU because they all but guaranteed me I could start August 18th/09 and I am feeling a time crunch - but I want to work in ontario for after med school and they're super expensive. From what it sounds like on here carribean is a one way street that'll take me more time than waiting out a year in canada...

In you experiences and insight wheres the best (to come back to canada) most affordable (and funded) place if I dont get in in Ontario? Is it easier to come back to canada after britain or us med schools? I plan on re-writing my MCATs this spring (and scoring much better now that I have the courses the mcats are based on...). Should I stick it out and apply another round in Canada or should I throw in the towel and head to the carribean south? Or should i add to the debt and apply everywhere?

Thanks for any advice!

:(

Guest viscous
Cas, you're right. Some schools do take GPA quite seriously, but most don't

One school that is a good option for Canadians is the new Cornell in Qatar program. It's very hard to get into, but the match stats speak for themselves. The match from this program was VERY good last year (the first cohort to match). Nothing like other IMGs. This shows you how 'brand name' can have a huge effect in the US. Also, the students in this program are very intelligent too. You get a Cornell MD. If I had the stats, I would have gone here. It's quite a nice place to live too. They mostly accept Qatar citizens but they accept some Americans and Canadians too.

one also has to keep in mind that in any given year, you can only apply to one cornell i.e. either NY OR Qatar. I just slacked off and missed Cornell Qatar deadline last December. I actually was too confident on my prospects within Ontario. But I am definity applying there this December. I would love to go to middle east as I am originally from there and can get a Ivy degree at the same time.

If the gradutes from Cornell Qatar can get matched into the US after doing a only 2 year pre-med program then it means that US colleges should stop asking for a "4 year bachelors degree" because a person with all the pre-reqs at the university level for 2 years can equally do well while in medical school as well demonstrated by Qatar graduates.

I'm just curious - what on Earth do all those Canadians who went to the Carribean and can't get matched back home do?!

With my 3.4 and 30T (rewriting this summer and doing a 5th year) I was considering applying to SGU...but am becoming increasingly ambivalent.

they go to the States, and adopt the US as their new home;)

• 7 months later...
I'm just curious - what on Earth do all those Canadians who went to the Carribean and can't get matched back home do?!

Almost all of them will not get matched to a residency in Canada, but most will get a residency in the USA. The visa is not a problem if you go the J visa route. The only issue / challenge is that it is very difficult to get a speciality residency in the States - you are most likely to end up in FM. After writing and passing all exams in the states the IMG will be fully licensed to practice in the USA.

If you want to stay in the USA and you are on a J visa, you will either need to leave the USA for 2 year or be willing to get a waiver which means working in an under serviced region of the USA. If you did residency on an H visa, you can apply for PR status immediately.

Coming back to Canada AFTER you are licensed is getting easier because you are a fully licensed USA physician. Ontario is leading the way to smooth the process from USA to Canada, and there are no ROS rules at that stage. I stand corrected but I think the only limitation is that you get assigned to a Canadian Dr for one year before getting an unrestricted practice license.

The IMG route in the Caribbean is a viable option if you are willing to do all of your training outside Canada and you are happy to become a family Dr. Hoping to match back to Canada for a residency and/or get a competitive residency is a long shot.

• 2 weeks later...
Almost all of them will not get matched to a residency in Canada, but most will get a residency in the USA. The visa is not a problem if you go the J visa route. The only issue / challenge is that it is very difficult to get a speciality residency in the States - you are most likely to end up in FM. After writing and passing all exams in the states the IMG will be fully licensed to practice in the USA.

If you want to stay in the USA and you are on a J visa, you will either need to leave the USA for 2 year or be willing to get a waiver which means working in an under serviced region of the USA. If you did residency on an H visa, you can apply for PR status immediately.

Coming back to Canada AFTER you are licensed is getting easier because you are a fully licensed USA physician. Ontario is leading the way to smooth the process from USA to Canada, and there are no ROS rules at that stage. I stand corrected but I think the only limitation is that you get assigned to a Canadian Dr for one year before getting an unrestricted practice license.

The IMG route in the Caribbean is a viable option if you are willing to do all of your training outside Canada and you are happy to become a family Dr. Hoping to match back to Canada for a residency and/or get a competitive residency is a long shot.

What if you are an american citizen residing in canada and going to the carib. would it still be difficult for you to find a specialty residency in the states?

Archived