Premed 101 Forums

Evaluation in Med School

Depends on the block at the U of A.

And everything is pass/fail. Not even honors/pass/fail.

In other words, nobody is watching over your shoulder anymore. You really need to be learning for the sake of learning to remember, not learning to regurgitate. At the end of the day, you aren't studying for yourself, but for the people that you'll be working with for the rest of your professional life.

Depends on the block at the U of A.

And everything is pass/fail. Not even honors/pass/fail.

In other words, nobody is watching over your shoulder anymore. You really need to be learning for the sake of learning to remember, not learning to regurgitate. At the end of the day, you aren't studying for yourself, but for the people that you'll be working with for the rest of your professional life.

I don't understand what you mean by "block at the U of A". Can you please explain?

How does everyone feel about the P/F system? Do you find that you do less work because of it? I know for sure that I'm less stressed out because I know that there is only one mark I can ever get, (well, ok 2 marks, but one is completely unacceptable and nearly impossible to get) but I'm not sure if I'm learning (read: memorizing) less because of it. In the end, I know I would just forget the stuff that I crammed in to get 90s in undergrad, but now that I'm not going crazy about tests etc... does that mean I'm going to learn less? What do others think of this system? what has been your personal experiences with such a system?

Well, pass/fail is what showed up on our transcripts, but we still got our test %, class average, and standard deviation, so we knew where we stood in relation to the rest of the class. And failing would not be an impossibility if you let things slide enough. So I did find enough motivation to study. In any case, clinical rotations have been where most of my learning has occurred - using the preclinical material as a necessary background.

They make you line up and recite everything from Lecture 1 to Lecture 600. If you get anything wrong, you become another cadaver in the anatomy lab. DUN DUN DUN!

Hey, I lost a lot of good friends that way. :(

/pours out a 40 of formalin in memory

//respect ya 'til I dissect ya, bro

///too much time on my hands

Archived