Premed 101 Forums

Advice ref interviews please

Hi,

I'm new to the site and the forums, but there's lots of good stuff here, and positive but realistic people. I'm a "mature" (45) :-)) engineer in the middle of a possible career change with applications in at McM, Ottawa and Queen's. My GPA is competitive enough, and I have postgrad quals. Advisors tell me I am not quite insane but have taken on quite a challenge.

Two things - firstly if you think you are too old at 30, you aren't. Secondly, I have no illusions about the scale of what I am trying or the likelihood of disappointment (I do like the phrase 'thinenveloped'). I did premed chemistry last year and I was older than the prof.

I don't yet have notification or otherwise on interviews, but am doing some prep as this will be crucial for me.

I would very much appreciate any advice from any non-trads who were interviewed at any of these schools, particularly if you were over 30, and chose to address the age issue either directly or indirectly and how you did so. (age will be a huge elephant in the room even if they aren't allowed to discriminate - I am somewhat cynical about this, but will wait until it's all over before deciding). Any other advice or information about the foibles of the schools gratefully received.

Anyway, my approach is motivated but realistic in that if it happens it does, if not I'll still be able to make a living. As a doctor put me up to this, I can blame her if it all works out. If not, she gets to carry on sticking needles in me. Last time I asked her about the odds, she smiled and reached for a syringe......

Thanks

I'm new to the site and the forums, but there's lots of good stuff here, and positive but realistic people. I'm a "mature" (45) :-)) engineer in the middle of a possible career change with applications in at McM, Ottawa and Queen's. My GPA is competitive enough, and I have postgrad quals. Advisors tell me I am not quite insane but have taken on quite a challenge.

I would very much appreciate any advice from any non-trads who were interviewed at any of these schools, particularly if you were over 30, and chose to address the age issue either directly or indirectly and how you did so. (age will be a huge elephant in the room even if they aren't allowed to discriminate - I am somewhat cynical about this, but will wait until it's all over before deciding). Any other advice or information about the foibles of the schools gratefully received.

Last year, I was 30 when I interviewed. No, that isn't quite the same as 45. However, it still is older than most interviewees. The issue of my age never came up either directly or indirectly. I was asked something to the effect of "why now", but I didn't take that to be an age question, but more of a why I was looking at leaving one profession to enter another. If anything, I think my age (and the life experiences I've had) helped me tremendously in my interviews. I could provide concrete examples to each of the questions I was asked, whether they were based on my autobiographical sketch (Queen's) or whether they were standard questions (Westerns).

As someone who has had a career before entering medicine, you can bring many experiences to the class. While there may be some who think that medical school spots should go to younger applicants, I believe that the diversity of our classes will make each of us a better physician. I wish you all the best! I look forward to meeting you during the interview weekends at Queen's.

Elaine

Archived