Premed 101 Forums

Suggestions about electives for 2nd year med student

So, I am beginning to choose our tracks now for clinical years. First off any suggestions as to whether

its best to choose Internal medicine early (i've heard all the other ones kinda of assume you know internal med) or choose it late since its wicked hard?

2) I'm 100% certain I want to go to Vancouver for residency (not in Med school at UBC currently). As for the specialties, i'm pretty open to everything thus far. Probably not a surgery specialty unless I'm amazing at it on the wards. But i'm open to family and everything else.

I'm thinking of doing 3 electives in BC in the summer (i'm from BC originally and parents live there) between my 2 - 3rd year. Just wondering if you guys had any advice on how to get residency spots there. I have heard UBC is the 'Mecca' and extremely competitive for spots. Any advice at this stage would be of great help.

Thanks

I personally started with IM, which is very challenging but you do learn a ton in terms of theoretical material and day to day management, it's a big adjustment but you come out fairly competent on how to work on a ward, and have good approaches to stuff, which will help you throughout the rest of clerkship.

In terms of electives, if you want UBC then spend time away, both in Vanc and in Victoria if you can. It's nice to know your program beforehand that you want, but if you're still undecided, a few medicine subspecialty electives or hospitalist medicine can be a good start.

If you are potentially applying to IM, it might be best to do it 2nd or later.. any rotation that involves inpatient ward work (like surgery or obstetrics) will help you learn the ropes of the hospital. If you're new, any rotation will involve that same learning curve.. I didn't find that internal stood out as being especially hard. Days can be long but you have opportunites to read and think about what to do.

hmmm the problem about doing internal first is that you end up spending almost a whole week or more just getting used to the workings of a hospital ward rather than focasing on the actual medicine.

I did psych and family med before internal and found that it was a much easier transition during those first weeks of internal.

Just a reminder that UBC only allow electives to 4th year students now. you might want to check up on that. too

Archived