Premed 101 Forums

Special Year, 2nd Year Course Question/ Confused?

Regarding the special year, first year courses are not allowed, and second year courses are not allowed too, unless they have a first-year pre-requisite, is this correct?

From Schulich UWO FAQs:

----- "First year courses, repeat/antirequisite courses, and second-year courses that do not require a first-year prerequisite are not acceptable in the special year."

So what if I am taking some random second year course, e.g. Advanced Basket-Weaving, BKT230.

But, the pre-requisite is Intro to Basket-Weaving, BKT201, which is a second-year course :eek: ? This seems to violate the rule, doesn't it, making it an invalid course?

Or another case, Physiological Principles of Exercise, PSL298, which is a second-year course, and the pre-requisite is PSL301, Intro to Physiological Mechanics, a third-year course. Would PSL298 be in violation of the special year rules too?

:confused:

I find it quite odd that a second year course has a second year course as a pre-requisite (which is not a co-requisite)... If you give specific course examples, I think I could give a better answer, beause I was somewhat in the same situation as you last year.

And on your other case, what the hell? Hahaha, what school do you go to that has a second year course with a third year course?

I find it quite odd that a second year course has a second year course as a pre-requisite (which is not a co-requisite)... If you give specific course examples, I think I could give a better answer, beause I was somewhat in the same situation as you last year.

And on your other case, what the hell? Hahaha, what school do you go to that has a second year course with a third year course?

The issue is not whether it is odd, or not. It is a matter of whether it is allowed.

I am in that situation, a second year course, requiring a second-year prerequisite. This situation is possible because courses run from Sept-Dec, and Jan.-Apr. (SEMESTERING).

You may have a permissable situation, e.g. Second year, first semester course, which has either a first year first semester, or first year, second semester course as a pre-requisite.

Or, in my case, a second-year second semester course, which requires a second year first semester course as the pre-req.

• 2 weeks later...
If you had taken a look at the FAQ on their website, then you would see that yes, it is allowed.

I did read the FAQ, where do you think my first post came from?

From Schulich UWO FAQs:

If you had bothered reading the UWO Calendar, and the OMSAS Med Schools .pdf, you would see that this is NOT ALLOWED.

I'm confused. Is a special year only for people who want to apply with their special year marks?

I'm taking a non-degree year to pick up some prereqs for American schools. Less than 3.0 credits for the full year, and all of them second year courses. My last two years have both been well above 3.75. I didn't think the special year mattered unless I was going to submit the marks from this year as one of my two GPA years.

I'm confused. Is a special year only for people who want to apply with their special year marks?

I'm taking a non-degree year to pick up some prereqs for American schools. Less than 3.0 credits for the full year, and all of them second year courses. My last two years have both been well above 3.75. I didn't think the special year mattered unless I was going to submit the marks from this year as one of my two GPA years.

I don't think it will either for you. You should be fine.

Part years are not counted. Your two good years will count. Maybe we will work together at some point?

I did a special year, for me it was already after graduation, so for someone who's simply delaying their graduation by another year, it might be different. But the requirements were 10 courses, no repeating courses for which a grade had already been obtained (repeating a course in which you got a W was acceptable), NO first year courses, and no more than 2 second-year courses. I don't recall ever hearing anything about that whole "no 2nd year courses that have no 1st-year pre-reqs" deal, despite going through their website in great detail before embarking on that special year - this might be a new policy this year.

I did a special year, for me it was already after graduation, so for someone who's simply delaying their graduation by another year, it might be different. But the requirements were 10 courses, no repeating courses for which a grade had already been obtained (repeating a course in which you got a W was acceptable), NO first year courses, and no more than 2 second-year courses. I don't recall ever hearing anything about that whole "no 2nd year courses that have no 1st-year pre-reqs" deal, despite going through their website in great detail before embarking on that special year - this might be a new policy this year.

x5a8pl.jpg

2lvxwtt.jpg

That only applies if you want your fifth year to count for your GPA. So if you already have 2 years above 3.75, and you didn't get into med school after 4th year and are just in school for a 5th year, then you don't need to follow those rules because you have the 2 year requirements down.

Archived