Premed 101 Forums

Can I bring a briefcase with some show and tell?

abcwxyz

I was forced to bring in a folder with the schools info on it to the interview of one of my US schools, mainly because ther was no where else to put it/ they gave it to me and then directed me to the room. But its not appropriate to pull anything out if you bring anything with you.

Another thing that was mentioned by my career advisor is that its OK to bring something in with you along the MMI. Sometimes going through a sheet may help ease the silence, but it is a preference thing. Who knows. She did conduct interviews at queen's so she is not without any credibility.

Just wondering what is the rational for this? That perhaps you will be distracting them with something besides your personality? I think med school almost like a job interview and it's usually encouraged to bring parts of you (ie your portfolio) with you to a job interview so that you can show them what kind of person you are. wrong?

Just curious

Off the top of my head, I can think of very few things you would actually need to bring.

I did bring some visuals for results of some research I did, in case they asked me alot of questions about it (this particular research leant itself well to visuals). But they asked me none, so didn`t feel the need to pull it out. Note that I said...alot of questions. Even if they had just asked me a few, I would not have taken it out. I just wasn`t sure what to expect in terms of the details they would ask. And if it wasn`t "visually oriented" research, I wouldn`t have brought anything...ie would not have brought in graphs or anything like that!

Realistically, you don`t need to bring a thing with you into the interview.

Good luck

What if one of your hobbies is cooking and you wanted to bring a nice picnic for the interviewers?

If it's a panel interview, they're already aware of your background. You're there to talk about it, not present a slide show.

Don't bring anything, especially not to an MMI. The only exception might be for Satsuma's case, but even then I'm not sure how it's relevant to med school admissions.

I always bring a briefcase/leather folder with me to interviews (medicine or formerly workterms/work). I generally keep an extra copy of my CV in there and other documentation of that type. Mostly, I just like to have it in case one of the interviewers can't find part of my documentation. However, in the 30 or so work/medicine interviews I have done, I have never once had to take anything out. And I never mention that I have the things either unless someone is looking for something and they seem to have misplaced/lack it.

I would certainly not bring photos/props.

same reason for not bringing in Louis Vuitton bags. QUOTE]

what's wrong with Louis Vuitton bags? :o (apart from the fact that I dont find them very pretty at all, lol).. is there a similar stigma attached to coach bags? :confused:

I don't think flashing brand names is ever good. I heard about this with regard to interviews in general, not just med school interviews. I think it makes sense because you don't want the med student on your panel to think, "psshhhh poser", or "pssshhhhh spoiled brat". Nice/very stuffed briefcases fall under the poser category.

What if one of your hobbies is cooking and you wanted to bring a nice picnic for the interviewers?

If it's a panel interview, they're already aware of your background. You're there to talk about it, not present a slide show.

Don't bring anything, especially not to an MMI. The only exception might be for Satsuma's case, but even then I'm not sure how it's relevant to med school admissions.

Was only asking a hypothetical question. Though a picnic would be swell. Thanks for the suggestion (I cook sometimes).

I don't think flashing brand names is ever good. I heard about this with regard to interviews in general, not just med school interviews. I think it makes sense because you don't want the med student on your panel to think, "psshhhh poser", or "pssshhhhh spoiled brat". Nice/very stuffed briefcases fall under the poser category.

wow! thanks for letting me know :) I had no idea ... i'll need to dig out some old bag now :D lol

Guys seriously, you will bring whatever is on your physical person into that interview room. This means your suit, tie, shoes, etc.

There will be no CVs, no papers, no pictures, no props and other ridiculous items...

All the interviews I went to had a place designated to drop everything else from coats, bags etc. So your bling bling bags mean nothing here...

Your interview is not a a dramatic arts presentation. Those conducting the interview can get all the information they need from the questions they have chosen to ask and the verbal response you decide to give. The interview is simple. Be yourself, answer the questions, elaborate VERBALY where possible on why you would be an asset to the medical school and the profession.

If you you go beyond this your over thinking this whole process... The only exception to this would be if the given medical school specifically requested something else from you. However, this would be a rare.

Guys seriously, you will bring whatever is on your physical person into that interview room. This means your suit, tie, shoes, etc.

There will be no CVs, no papers, no pictures, no props and other ridiculous items...

All the interviews I went to had a place designated to drop everything else from coats, bags etc. So your bling bling bags mean nothing here...

Your interview is not a a dramatic arts presentation. Those conducting the interview can get all the information they need from the questions they have chosen to ask and the verbal response you decide to give. The interview is simple. Be yourself, answer the questions, elaborate VERBALY where possible on why you would be an asset to the medical school and the profession.

If you you go beyond this your over thinking this whole process... The only exception to this would be if the given medical school specifically requested something else from you. However, this would be a rare.

so i can't bring my lab coat for my interview panel to autograph, eh? and i guess i can't bring a camera and get my photo taken with them either.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I brought a picture with me to interviews. I shaved my head to raise money for cancer research a year before my interview and my hair grows extremely fast, like it was past shoulder length. So when they read it on my sketch they asked me if I helped shave people for the event, and I said no I shaved my head, and then they looked at me, and were like soooo, you cut your hair for the event? And then I gave them the picture of me bald. But only in one interview, where they specifically asked me and didn't appear to believe me. Didn't realize it was bad. Obviously if its not allowed they'll tell you before hand and then it won't matter. I brought a clip board with the map and interview letter and stuff too in case I got lost and just left it with my coat and stuff. People had their suitcases, if they flew and they had to check out from the hotel too.

I didn't have a briefcase, but I brought an old computer bag to my interview. Inside were some samples of magazines/journals that I illustrated for -- I wanted to bring some samples in case the topic came up. You know, like a portfolio or something

And guess what? the topic DID come up... but I completely forgot that I had samples so it was a wasted effort. :confused: I got accepted by that school in the end though...

Archived