Premed 101 Forums

McGill cGPA conversion?

pavp

I was wondering does anyone here know how McGill converts your cGPA if you come from a 4.3 system, like say Concordia or UofM?

I see 2 ways: the easy arithmetic proportion conversion (which is ****ty, eg 3.8/4.3 --> ~ 3.54/4.00) and the more approriate grade-by-grade equivalency conversion (nicer, 3.8/4.3 -> ~ 3.71/4.00). Did any of you read anything / hear anything?

AFAIK uM's is 4.5/4.5 GPA and ConU's 4.3.

MG does not have A+. Both values above are A+.

I read somewhere that your cGPA will be recalculated using their scale.

I was wondering does anyone here know how McGill converts your cGPA if you come from a 4.3 system, like say Concordia or UofM?

I see 2 ways: the easy arithmetic proportion conversion (which is ****ty, eg 3.8/4.3 --> ~ 3.54/4.00) and the more approriate grade-by-grade equivalency conversion (nicer, 3.8/4.3 -> ~ 3.71/4.00). Did any of you read anything / hear anything?

AFAIK uM's is 4.5/4.5 GPA and ConU's 4.3.

MG does not have A+. Both values above are A+.

I read somewhere that your cGPA will be recalculated using their scale.

UofM is out of 4.3, I have done an undergrad there. And, yes, obviously McGill does not have 4.3, hence my question about HOW they do the conversion, not if they do it at all.

@tmimm and @Biochemist1

Thanks guys, that is the approach I hope they are adapting. Although as the link might indicate, this "nice" conversion you mention (A+ = 4, A = 3.9 etc...) is the OMSAS version for converting the other way, i.e. from any other system to OMSAS. Does McGill use it to convert to its own cGPA for people like me with a 4.3 based cGPA?

When I asked the receptionist lady at the admissions office, she proved to be more useless than I could possible imagine. This is the reason for my questioning.

• 1 month later...

uM is 4.5 GPA that is usually a 95%+...

UofM is out of 4.3, I have done an undergrad there. And, yes, obviously McGill does not have 4.3, hence my question about HOW they do the conversion, not if they do it at all.

Archived