Premed 101 Forums

How many OOP's are interviewed?

For what it counts...there was one no-show at my specific group of 80 at the MMI. So the most candidates possibly interviewed now is 479 total.

OMG! OMG! My chances of getting in were 39.1666666666666666666667% and now they are up to 39.24843423799582!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

*dies of stroke*

only about two 3rd year OOP are accepted? ahhh.

See from what I understand from U of A, they have a well set out evaluation policy, where each section gets x percent towards the final mark. Unless you have a PhD or Masters they don't say they add points, so I would propose that those low numbers are due to the random chance of

a) only 22 out of province

B) fewer 3rd year applicants

c) 3rd year applicants generally have lower grade stats cause people generally improve their marks as their university careers go on

d) 3rd year applicants may be less likely to apply everywhere, because they still have more years to go

so don't worry? haha this is just my guess, esp D, so who knows,

188 is close to what i've heard from the admin staff.

188 is an anticipated projected by class size, but I have spoken with all of the Deans and they have confirmed that they do not know if this number will be achieved over a period of one, two, or even three years.

See from what I understand from U of A, they have a well set out evaluation policy, where each section gets x percent towards the final mark. Unless you have a PhD or Masters they don't say they add points, so I would propose that those low numbers are due to the random chance of

a) only 22 out of province

B) fewer 3rd year applicants

c) 3rd year applicants generally have lower grade stats cause people generally improve their marks as their university careers go on

d) 3rd year applicants may be less likely to apply everywhere, because they still have more years to go

so don't worry? haha this is just my guess, esp D, so who knows,

2/3 year applicants are placed in a different admissions pool with a fewer number of available quota spots. Factor the 2/3 year pool consideration in with the 15% OOP figure, and it comes out to a pretty low number of accepted 2/3 year OOPs. I don't think we have any 2 year OOPs, and I can count on one hand the number of 3rd year OOPs there are in our class.

188 is an anticipated projected by class size, but I have spoken with all of the Deans and they have confirmed that they do not know if this number will be achieved over a period of one, two, or even three years.

I heard this at the interview as well. They did say that "the money is in the bank" though, as opposed to "the check is in the mail". SO the expansion is for sure (unlike U of C), the timeline is just a little less certain.

Take it for what it's worth, so this is the last time I'll post this and I'll let the rest of you debate it. Realize this, however - I have a very close line with all the deans in the FMD and they have all confirmed (in person) that there will be a seat increase, but they do not know how many as they often do not receive final confirmation of funding until what is often after May 15th, meaning they will fill the waitlist and move the number of applicants off the waitlist which correspond with the number of seats which the government have expanded by.

188 is a number that has been consistently thrown around, which equates to a seat increase of 30. The Deans have confirmed that there will be an increase, and ultimately the class size of 188 will be attained, but nobody can speak as to over how many years this may occur.

*My* personal speculation is that we won't see the full increase of 30 seats, and the increase will be incremental over the course of the next two or three years, but again, this is pure speculation.

Nobody will know for certain until the Faculty receives the actual 'check in the mail', so to speak, from the government.

Obviously it does make a difference...particularly, as you can see there have been many posts about this. Furthermore, that was not the question I asked. The question was about the split in the interview numbers(how many IP's vs. OOP's); I know the overall numbers(479), what is the split?

For what it counts...there was one no-show at my specific group of 80 at the MMI. So the most candidates possibly interviewed now is 479 total.

Obviously doesn't make a real difference for anyone...except Jen21:rolleyes:

Archived