Premed 101 Forums

Have you/would you consider US for residency? Why or why not?

Many people don't want to leave Canada because of family, etc. Or that they don't like the US, or the US healthcare system.

For current medical students, or better yet, residents who decided to go South after completing some part of their education in Canada, what prompted you to make the move?

Are residents in the US paid better? More research opportunities? More stabs at competitive specialties?

I'm trying to decide if I want to write my USMLE (which people generally write after 2nd year for the step 1?)

There are many more residency spots in the USA compared to Canada.

Competitive residencies like EM and Urology are far more available in the US based on sheer numbers. So, writing the USMLE keeps options open should you need to apply to the USA if you go unmatched in Canada.

I know that should I go unmatched, I will write the USMLE and try for a spot in the USA in the field that I want to do, rather than back-up with something else.

There are many more residency spots in the USA compared to Canada.

Competitive residencies like EM and Urology are far more available in the US based on sheer numbers. So, writing the USMLE keeps options open should you need to apply to the USA if you go unmatched in Canada.

I know that should I go unmatched, I will write the USMLE and try for a spot in the USA in the field that I want to do, rather than back-up with something else.

You realize that step 1 has to be written after 2nd year... you cant just "decide" to write the USMLE if you go unmatched

Step 1 doesn't *have* to be written right after 2nd yr, though that is probably the easiest time to do so when preclerkship material is still fresh. The time needed to write Step 1, 2 CK, 2 CS, and 3 (which can only be applied for after passing the first three) for licensure should be taken into account though.

You realize that step 1 has to be written after 2nd year... you cant just "decide" to write the USMLE if you go unmatched

I was under the impression that step 1 could be written anytime after 2nd year, not necessarily the summer following second year. Am I wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived