Premed 101 Forums

Presentations in Grad school

I think that even between a course-based master's vs. a research-based master's, you're going to end up doing a lot of presentations. As a grad student in a research-based program, I can say that all you do IS present...present your progress to your supervisor and thesis committee, you may have a journal club in your lab that you do weekly presentations for, you're hopefully presenting your thesis at conferences, and should be able to present/discuss the premise of your thesis when you meet different faculty or students at any given moment. If you TA, then you're doing tutorials and presentations round the clock as well. Within the courses you have to take, they are usually essay + presentation based as well. But don't worry if they make you nervous. After a while, you'll become incredibly used to it!

For the research-based programs, in depends on the school, but from what ive seen they do 1 formal presentation every year of their degree (in front of all the other grad students + professors of the department)..and then you usually end up presentiing to your lab fairly often, maybe once every few weeks.

Its not that bad, you'll get used to it =).

For the research-based programs, in depends on the school, but from what ive seen they do 1 formal presentation every year of their degree (in front of all the other grad students + professors of the department)..and then you usually end up presentiing to your lab fairly often, maybe once every few weeks.

Its not that bad, you'll get used to it =).

Don't forget all the presentations you have to do for your courses. Even research-based Master's (like mine) still required a bunch of courses, which of course meant tons of presentations. God I love grad school. </sarcasm>

Archived