Premed 101 Forums

Strength and weaknesses of Alberta health care system

As far as I know, in Alberta, there is no third way. There was a proposed "third" way a while ago (during the Klein era) though it never came to fruition.

This is speculation, and the truth is this, or close:

The three tiered approach to health care encompassed three different levels of health care coverage:

1. Basic health care is covered by the government.

2. More 'exotic' health care is not covered, and you would be required to pay yourself. (ie. chiropractor, acupuncture, massage, etc)

3. Some forms of basic health care can be divided in both the public and private division. Therefore, you could wait a year for a hip replacement surgery under public health care. Or, if you could afford $ 5,000 (just a guess), you could pay your self and have it done in a few weeks.

Like I said, this is mostly speculation, but I believe that this was the jist of something that never got introduced.

But I do plan on researching different "styles" of healthcare further because that knowledge will definitely come in handy.

Furthermore, it may also be of interest to know that the WHO organization ranked canada's health care system fairly low when ranking overall healthcare for all the developed and developing nations. I believe it was ranked in the high teens or even twenty's. Several different aspects were measured and considered.

Perhaps looking into some of the top country's health care set ups (like Singapore) would be beneficial as well.

Good post. tnx. been trying to find info on it since I remember it was in the news for a while 3 years ago and it disappeared.

As far as I know, in Alberta, there is no third way. There was a proposed "third" way a while ago (during the Klein era) though it never came to fruition.

This is speculation, and the truth is this, or close:

The three tiered approach to health care encompassed three different levels of health care coverage:

1. Basic health care is covered by the government.

2. More 'exotic' health care is not covered, and you would be required to pay yourself. (ie. chiropractor, acupuncture, massage, etc)

3. Some forms of basic health care can be divided in both the public and private division. Therefore, you could wait a year for a hip replacement surgery under public health care. Or, if you could afford $ 5,000 (just a guess), you could pay your self and have it done in a few weeks.

Like I said, this is mostly speculation, but I believe that this was the jist of something that never got introduced.

But I do plan on researching different "styles" of healthcare further because that knowledge will definitely come in handy.

Furthermore, it may also be of interest to know that the WHO organization ranked canada's health care system fairly low when ranking overall healthcare for all the developed and developing nations. I believe it was ranked in the high teens or even twenty's. Several different aspects were measured and considered.

Perhaps looking into some of the top country's health care set ups (like Singapore) would be beneficial as well.

It disappeared because Albertans promptly shot it down. Private health care is something that most Canadians are wary of. Fear is that only those with money will be able to get quality service and the rest will be left with an inadequate system. Sound like any place you know?

Archived