Premed 101 Forums

Sudbury Practise MMI

Hello all Sudbury folk going to the NOSM interview!! (or those who live in the proximity to attend). A few of us (three so far) want to get together to practise for the interview, MMI style.

Join if you can so we can help each other out and put our best foot forward!!!

Reply to this thread if you would like to be in (in med school!! hahaha) But seriously, this can really help!

Hello all Sudbury folk going to the NOSM interview!! (or those who live in the proximity to attend). A few of us (three so far) want to get together to practise for the interview, MMI style.

Join if you can so we can help each other out and put our best foot forward!!!

Reply to this thread if you would like to be in (in med school!! hahaha) But seriously, this can really help!

Hey!! Thanks for trying to organize this!! I think it's a great idea. So my availability to come to Sudbury is Feb 18-21 (during my reading week). After that I may be back in North Bay for a weekend or two but I'm not sure - it depends how much school work I have.

• 3 weeks later...

Any more ideas about when we should meet? Or where? I could probably book us a study room or something at the library. I still have my old student / alumni card somewhere. I didn't use the study rooms there much, so I'm not sure how large they are, but I have no problem heading into the library to check things out. I'm not sure if people want to meet at the school to see the campus????? Anyway...just realized that it's the final week of February here, so I guess if we're going to meet up, we should nail down a date sometime soon? Cheers!

Hello all, sorry for the long time I've been away from here. Well it seems there are 6 people interested in meeting up for practise. Things in school are tightly squeezed right now. Does March 21 sound good to anyone?

I was thinking when we did this, everyone could have their "questions" and we could rotate, so:

-basically, person 1 is with person 2. Person 1 gives person 2 his/her question to read, and then allows the 8-minute time period for response. While doing so, person 1 has a page that he/she checks off and considers that grade that person and add comments.

- after this, they switch, and Person 2 now gives person 1 his/her question to read and the same deal goes on.

- then they switch, and person 1 is paired with person 3, etc. until everyone has had a chance to go around to everyone.

- then, everyone goes around again, but now it is for discussing how you graded that person and why.

What does everyone think about this? I think it helps immensely to actually grade someone, then you know what the graders on interview day are dealing with.

So, basically, we need a checklist format for this, and we need 6 questions (we could also double or triple it too though, so we do this whole thing more and therefore need for example 12 or 18 questions).

I had my interview last year and therefore am unable to disclose the questions posed. However, on the interview invites, the general knowledge needed pretty hits it on the button anyways and tells us what we should expect. I could come up with some questions that I feel are closely related based on what the invites say.

Also, we need an area to practise. Perhaps taking out a conference room at the Laurentian library. Actually, I just called the library. The woman on the other end told me the best thing to do is to go into a large classroom at Laurentian (they keep most doors open, no classes on weekends anyways). BINGO!!!

If everyone does 1 question each, this whole process will take about 3 hours. I know everyone is busy, so we'll try to keep it tight. If we do 2 q's each, then double that time.

So, EVERYONE INTERESTED, PLEASE POST BACK OR MESSAGE ME WITH WHAT YOU THINK. I can prepare some questions, that doesn't really take too long also with a general scope of what a reasonable answer should be. Anyone can help me with this, and also the checklist: I was thinking the obvious (maturity, communication skill, depth of answer, understanding of question, etc.) anyone can help me add to this too.

Whew...this is long, but that is okay, because to have a good session we need some good organization too.

cheers, looking forward to hearing some feedback and getting this going!

Hey!!

Thank you so much for organizing this!! Unfortunately it's looking less and less likely that I will have time to make the trip to Sudbury :( - I really wish I could because I know this would be a great practice opportunity. That being said I'm planning on setting some mock interviews up with friends here in Ottawa - so if anyone else here is interested they are more than welcome.

Anyways good luck to everyone and I'll maybe see some of you @ the Sudbury interview weekend!!

That sounds like a great plan. Can we confirm the date though (I'm coming from Hamilton and will need to book a room for the night).

Hey Digs, I'm not entirely sure how many people will be going to this, since one has stated unable to attend now. So five (plus me) if everyone else replies.

If the people who end up wanting to practise that day dwindle to really short (ie. just you and me and someone else, then we can still do it, and should still do it, just less variety in people). Practise is good, and we can give each other feedback.

March 21 is a good day for me. The time, it depends when people are most available. I would like to confirm this is the day (my interview is March 28, so its a good warm-up, for the April interviews too).

You said you need a place to stay. I don't know you, but as long as you aren't a psycho killer (haha, I doubt it :) ), you can stay at my house. I live with my mother and we have 4 spare rooms :) and are quite used to having guests come in and out all the time. That wouldn't be a problem. For example if you wanted to come Friday, etc.

Alright, well just waiting for more replies. And if you look up questions you want to practise, etc., feel free to add them to the mix that we will practise.

PS> I read there is practise being organized in the Hamilton area too. I just hope this long trip will be worth it for you and we will get alot out of it in the cold North! Ps. I live pretty close to the school (10 min drive) if you were thinking you wanted to explore, etc.

That's awfully generous of you! I was planning on just checking in for a night at the travelodge, but if you're cool with me crashing in a quest room, well, I don't mind. It will ultimately depend on whether or not I drive or take a bus. If I bus it, then i'll just go back the same day, but if I drive, I'll either come the night before, or stay the night of depending on what time we arrange this all for.

There are a few others from Hamilton that have just begun some practice sessions I've attended. They're all interviewing in TB, I'm in Sudbury on the 29th. I was there for a few months last summer with my wife while she was on an ER rotation at St. Jo's so I know my way around a little bit, but it's always nice to get comfortable with a location before any sort of stressful day.

P.S. The 21st works perfectly for me

I'm definitely still in, and met a co-worker today who also has an interview and who would like to join. She'll be down at McMaster on the 28th, and then back to Sudbury for the NOSM interview.

Do we want to think about planning a bit of time to share resources, talk about background info, etc? I sort of think that kind of conversation might evolve naturally, but sharing resource ideas might help us all.

Looking forward to it!

That's awfully generous of you! I was planning on just checking in for a night at the travelodge, but if you're cool with me crashing in a quest room, well, I don't mind. It will ultimately depend on whether or not I drive or take a bus. If I bus it, then i'll just go back the same day, but if I drive, I'll either come the night before, or stay the night of depending on what time we arrange this all for.

There are a few others from Hamilton that have just begun some practice sessions I've attended. They're all interviewing in TB, I'm in Sudbury on the 29th. I was there for a few months last summer with my wife while she was on an ER rotation at St. Jo's so I know my way around a little bit, but it's always nice to get comfortable with a location before any sort of stressful day.

P.S. The 21st works perfectly for me

Alright! Whatever works for you. Ultimately, we want to make sure we prepare as best as we can!

I'm definitely still in, and met a co-worker today who also has an interview and who would like to join. She'll be down at McMaster on the 28th, and then back to Sudbury for the NOSM interview.

Do we want to think about planning a bit of time to share resources, talk about background info, etc? I sort of think that kind of conversation might evolve naturally, but sharing resource ideas might help us all.

Looking forward to it!

Sure, that is a good point about sharing the resources! Feel free to help me plan what the day should consist of. I like the idea of giving everyone "their" own question(s) so everyone in the room gets a chance to be asked the question and answer it (except the person with that question, which I think is okay because by listening to all the answers they will know exactly what a good answer is).

I think we should do it so everyone has about 2-3 questions (so make up about 20 questions), and do as many as we have time. Perhaps everyone can bring a snack to share, and if we start at say 10am in the morning, we can have "intercession" for lunch or something like that?

Alright, these are the areas I think we should focus on (again, I had an interivew last year, but I am unable to reveal the questions; these areas come pretty much directly off of the invite invitation and are self-evident to the school's mandate):

- Northern / rural / Aboriginal healthcare issues (especially in Northern Ontario)

- Ethics (medical-based and not)

- General problems-solving questions

- The general questions you can expect at a med school interview "why do you want to be a doctor?" "what's the most stressful thing you have experienced?" etc.

Does anyone want to add anything else (category-wise?)?

As I said, each of the questions should be accompanied by a "general answer" as to what a good answer should be so the person asking the question can properly assess the answer. Note: I've done my reasearch, mainly for the first two categories, and so can add what I have found. However, I know you guys also have your insights and can use that when assesing the answers.

That being said, (well for me anyways), this practise will be in THE WAY A QUESTION IS answered; which is so vital. We can really do all the research at home, but the way it comes across to the person in front of you is what will count alot too, and that is why I want to practise like this!

As such, so far these are the categories I would like to add onto the checklist that will be used for grading (I wish I knew what the checklist NOSM uses looks like, but oh well, just have to guess):

- Maturity

- Depth of answer

- Communication skill (ie. clarity of answer, easy to follow)

- Professionalism

- Understanding of question (ie. well-rounded answer, logical)

- Ability to connect with interviewer

- Overall Impression

Now, I beleive I recall their grading is on a scale of 1-10 (1 very poor, 10 excellent).

Does anybody want to add anything else? I will also leave room for a comments area, as the "grader" may forget what their impressions were by the time it becomes time to tell the interviewee.

Also, I will bring a timer that buzzes, so the 8 minute answer will be right on too, followed by 2 minutes in which time the grader fills out the assessment form. This follows NOSM's MMI format. Normally during these two minutes the interviewer moves onto reading the next question. But because we lack a large group to practise with, we could simply do:

2 minutes (interviewee read question) - 8 minutes (interviewee answer question, interviewer not allowed to engage in conversation) - 2 minutes (interviewer fill out assessment while interviewee silent) - 2 minutes (exchange, now the other person is the interviewee and read the other person's question)....

The whole process repeats itself until everyone in the room has paired with everyone. After this, perhaps we can take a quick break, and then re-do the whole pairing. How the pairing will be to show the person you interviewed how you scored them and why.

Done one set of questions. If time permits/ people want to, redo all over again with next set.

Lunch (I'm thinking that sounds good), time to chat, etc.

I'm sort of repeating my last post, but just getting things more organized.

So does March 21 10:00am sound good to all?

Please let me know about the categories and checklist qualities for any changes, or if you guys have anything else you want to add for how this should flow.

!!!

Hi there,

I was just reading this post regarding the topics you are going to cover for your practice MMI. I would suggest adding 2 things:

- importance of Research - both informal and formal

- knowledge about NOSM itself (curriculum, mandate, etc) and about the North in general.

Good luck with the practice session and on the interviews!

I've also found a few pieces of info directed at the people running/marking MMI candidates. I have one or two checklists, rubrics, etc. that are meant to grade a candidate's answer - and some are general (vs. specific to a scenario). I'll make a few copies of each to bring along, in case we want to try using them, or just for people to have and take home with them.

As for various scenarios, I'm not sure how many you have, but I have a prep binder that's beginning to burst out with practices cases and questions, so I'll bring some along too. I figure if I make 10 copies of each item I bring, that should be enough?

Also - do we have a room we want to meet in? Or should we just plan to meet outside the library. There is a classroom right there, and it's a short trip down the stairs to a hallway with tons of classes if we choose to split up for practice questions.

Hi Litgal;

I wish I had more time to put stuff together really well; but I'm in school right now too and things are gettign really tight time-wise!

Please bring that binder and the checklist page. Sounds good. I think we should meet in front of the library and then decide which classroom from there.

I'll bring some questions as I too have made a binder.

I don't know about the timer anymore. I am thinking this may end up being improvised a bit -- which is okay. We want to practise talking and answering.

We can just do whatever people think is best. I can practise unti about 2pm. If we start at 10:00am that should be okay. Mind you, this is an informally organized group, so people can stay and practise as long as they want!

okay, back to work ---thanks litgal

I think this will be really useful for us all. It's a very different experience thinking about how you might answer a question, vs. actually verbalizing an answer in real time.

I'm coming into town the night before so that I can join you all, only thing is I don't know where the library is at the Laurentian campus (unless you're talking about the library in the NOSM school which I'm familiar with).

If someone could PM me with directions to the library you're speaking of (from the travelodge) I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

Hello all who are coming to the Sudbury practise interview session Saturday morning 10:00 am!

It seems settled that we are meeting in front of the Desmarjin's Library (pm me if you need directions) and then finding a suitable classroom to use from there.

I'll bring along some q's we can practise with and make some checklists we can use too. Another participant had mentioned he/she can bring some q's and a checklist too. Thats excellent.

I'll bring a timer with me too. At first I was thinking we could do this very systematically ; I think it will work out best if we all just decide as a group how people feel most comfortable practising, etc (split up into different rooms, what not?). Anyhow, it will be good to simply "answer questions" and talk as if the real thing. Its great practise, and having already interviewed once, I can say for sure that answering a question for 8 minutes isn't what you expect until you've done it!

Okay all -- ps., I'll bring a small snack if others want to bring something that might be nice too.

Also, I have to leave around 2:00-2:30pm, just to let you guys know. But of course anyone can stay and practise as long as they wish!!

Alright, if there's anything I missed, feel free to send a shout my way or reply to anyone else attending!

Hello!

I found out about the practice MMI through LitGal, and I will be coming too! Saturday March 21st at 10:00 a.m. sounds great! I will bring along the practice questions that I have stumbled upon!

See you all soon!

Archived