Premed 101 Forums

Research strengths of UO

Hello,

I have been trying to find out more information about some of the current research areas in UO's school of medicine. In particular, I would like to know what research points in Ottawa are distinct (e.g. Cardiac/Diabetes research in Ottawa). So, if anyone can provide more information about this, I would truly appreciate that(Possibly some of UO current students). I have tried finding this info on their web site, but it seems so vague, which is making me wonder how Ottawa stands with respect to research.

Thanks,

Jen

Hi Jen,

Here is uOttawa's faculty of medicine research & innovation website: http://www.medicine.uottawa.ca/Research/eng/index.html

I think you'll find quite a bit of what you are looking for. There are also plenty of summer studentships for medical students to partake in, making it very possible for many med students to publish should they choose to do research during the summers.

Raed

don't believe Raed, LOL... or the website... LOL, ottawa is good for neuro, and cardio, they just built a nephro add-on to RGN, that's about it, the rest are pretty sad.

All universities will advertise themselves as the best in research for EVERYTHING, ask your friends, ask the people when you are HERE for interviews. ONE good researcher in a field isn't enough to elevate the university's reputation (tho the university would like to think otherwise)

Ottawa is very good for cardio (look up Ottawa Heart Institute) and emerg.

I hear neuro often thrown around as a strength, but honestly, I am not sure. If I were to go with neuro specifically I would say stronger research comes out of U of T and UBC. Possibly UWO as well (at least for certain areas, especially epilepsy).

So this is the thing though. If you are really strongly interested in research, you should know what area you are most interested in to make the best decision. One program is not going to be great at everything. For example, you could do some interesting stroke research here at Ottawa. But if your interest in neuro is epilepsy you would have a hard time with just one epileptologist.

When it comes to research I think the best way to know where is a good fit, is to get your hands on some papers that cover the kind of work you would be interested in and then see where the authors are based. Also have an idea whether you are looking for strong clinical research programs or basic research programs.

• 1 month later...

Archived