Premed 101 Forums

NSERC USRA or a different summer job?

januarytwenty

Hi everyone- kind of an odd question but I thought maybe some people here could lend me a little more perspective on this.

So, I was just informed I have been awarded an NSERC USRA to do HIV-related research for the summer. Exciting! The only problem is, I'm also in the final stage of interviewing for a really amazing summer job with the university (a team that builds a bacteria from bioblocks with a useful function) which would pay about $1000 more for the summer (although that's really only small change in the grand scheme of things, I suppose).

I have to decline/accept the NSERC by next Wednesday...it seems doubtful that the hiring process for the other job will be done by then.

So I'm thinking I'll just take the NSERC:

-guaranteed job (if I turn it down I could really be screwing myself over)

-still a very exciting area of research (for me)

-probably more relevant to what my potential Master's would be in

I just have that nagging feeling about the other job. I suppose I might not even get it (its highly competitive).

So what do you think? (sorry for the long post :o )

Can you do both?

Unfortunately no- both are supposed to be 9-5 M-F jobs from the start of May to the end of August.

I'm probably going to take the NSERC- it will give me more relevant experience/better networking for a Master's and I really can't take the risk of not getting a decent job this summer. I have no research experience so it's a bit too big of a risk.

Thanks for the replies so far- I really appreciate it!

I applied for an NSERC this summer, as well as other funding that pays $1500 extra. If I get both, I plan on just declining the NSERC. If I were you, accept the NSERC. If you get the other job, great. Let your research office know you can't take the NSERC and they'll give it to someone else. Seeing as you probably won't be starting until like May or so, I can't see it detrimental to accept it and then decline it a few weeks later.

I hope not anyways, because that's my plan!

I applied for an NSERC this summer, as well as other funding that pays $1500 extra. If I get both, I plan on just declining the NSERC. If I were you, accept the NSERC. If you get the other job, great. Let your research office know you can't take the NSERC and they'll give it to someone else. Seeing as you probably won't be starting until like May or so, I can't see it detrimental to accept it and then decline it a few weeks later.

I hope not anyways, because that's my plan!

Hmm..yeah...I think I'll look into that. The email did mention having to have my supervisor complete the remainder of the paperwork for the NSERC if I accept (so that it will be submitted by a certain deadline) so I'm not sure if it will be irreversible if I accept.

Do what you feel is right, but (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong), you can still write on your CV that you were awarded an NSERC , but you also right 'declined'.

That means that people will know you got it, but preferred to do something else.

just something to consider

I did exactly this a few years ago. I declined an NSERC USRA to work with a prof for the summer. Regardless of whether you accept the NSERC or not, it is still an award which can be listed on your CV (as declined).

I'd say take the other job if it's interesting and pays well...and list the NSERC on your CV.

If the other job is what I'm thinking it is (iGEM team), go for the NSERC and see if you can still be on the iGEM team on a volunteer basis.

This is what I did last summer, I had an NSERC project, but when there was downtime while experiments were running etc I was able to contribute to the iGEM project as well, the you can still go to the conference in Nov. as part of the team.

If the other job is what I'm thinking it is (iGEM team), go for the NSERC and see if you can still be on the iGEM team on a volunteer basis.

This is what I did last summer, I had an NSERC project, but when there was downtime while experiments were running etc I was able to contribute to the iGEM project as well, the you can still go to the conference in Nov. as part of the team.

Wow this is a great idea! Yes it is the iGEM team. I think this is what I will do.

Archived