Premed 101 Forums

How do you deal with not being overly sad?

I don't really know. Somehow, I've become somewhat inured to it, but the difference always comes when I see someone obviously in pain rather than, say, an intubated ICU patient who's asleep or just out of it. Those visibly in pain are always more... worrying, I guess, but it seems that a smile and some empathy goes a long way.

I've seen some very, very sick patients on my infectious disease elective (ironically, the HIV patients in clinic are usually the healthiest!).

When you see people suffering, how do you deal with it?

Do you generally go through a transition period, and then you eventually learn to cope more with it?

Interesting question. The best answer is everyone is different. I've noticed for myself, I am able to mix empathy with distance. It is a skill that I am actually glad I have, and from what I have gathered, pretty rare. I've been told, to many times almost, that I seem to "like being with patients" and am caring blah blah (I say this because I am interested in Radiology, and tire of people telling me to go into family simply because of patient care), when I find that I am able to not become emotionally invested. It has served me well, because it allows me to have an objective outlook.

Having said that, countertransference can serve a doctor well if you learn to use it well. I've seen physicians carry the wait of their patients problems on them, and use that to help drive them. I've seen some get too stressed because of it. Some physicians never seem to learn how to cope with it, others become jaded, and others can find a way of releasing it.

Personally, I just think "I'll do the best I can, and let the chips fall where they may - some days I'll lose, others I'll win, and it is my job to have the knowledge so that I win more than I lose".

Interesting question. The best answer is everyone is different. I've noticed for myself, I am able to mix empathy with distance. It is a skill that I am actually glad I have, and from what I have gathered, pretty rare. I've been told, to many times almost, that I seem to "like being with patients" and am caring blah blah (I say this because I am interested in Radiology, and tire of people telling me to go into family simply because of patient care), when I find that I am able to not become emotionally invested. It has served me well, because it allows me to have an objective outlook.

Funny, I feel the same. I have just been told seeing a pt in emerg last night that it's a "shame' that I'm going to do rads in a few months...

AND I'm not sure "being emotionally invested" makes a good physician.

noncestvrai

When you see people suffering, how do you deal with it?

Do you generally go through a transition period, and then you eventually learn to cope more with it?

I saw a lot of sick people when I worked as a paramedic. I found myself overly upset and even traumatized the first few times I saw people die. Over time, I've become more and more used to it. The last time I went to a patient in cardiac arrest, I had really little emotion or concern and when we terminated resuscitation, I wasn't affected at all. In my opinion, I think it is a worse situation if you are completely detached than if you are too involved. I hope that day never comes for me, because I think it would make me feel unhuman.

Archived