Premed 101 Forums

Rural Family Med electives

I'm looking to do electives in rural Ontario and rural Alberta. Does anyone have any recommendations for communities and preceptors? I'm hoping to do the electives with someone who truly practices full-spectrum Family Medicine (office, inpatient, obs, ER, OR assists, etc.); I would be particularly interested in working with a family doc who also does c-sections and/or other surgeries.

Thanks for your help!

http://www.ermep.com/

You can check out the above site for eastern ontario rural placements. When you apply you can specify what interests you want your preceptor to have so they match you appropriately. If you go on the website under list of communities you can see where you could go.

If you want very northern, I think you have to go through NOSM but I am not sure.

There are other organizations for other parts of ON.

I did a rural family elective in Wawa. No one family doc did all that you suggested, but by working with all of the staff you would have exposure to each. One was a GP-anesthetist who would go to the Sault 1 week/month, another was a GP-surgeon who did small operations including planned C-sections (not as an assist), and another did c-scopes (as did the GP-surgeon). Everyone does emerg. I really enjoyed working with the group. I think Wawa falls under the jurisdiction of NOSM.

I did my core family rotation in Carleton Place, ON through ERMEP. I worked with Bill Potvin and had a great time. He did office work, small procedures, obstetrics (only assisted C-sections), gyne surgical assist, ER shifts, and some inpatient work. I also briefly worked with a really nice doc in Almonte who had a very similar (busy) practice, only she did GP anesthesia instead of surgical assist. Her name was Heather Abramenko and I believe she also takes students through ERMEP. Both of these places are about 45 minutes west of Ottawa, but have their own mostly family doc-run community hospitals.

Archived