Premed 101 Forums

How did/will you pay for medical school?

Line of Credit contributes the most to my tuition/living expenses, etc. OSAP (if you are from ontario) is another great resource. You get $14,000 the first two years, then $18,000 in 3rd year and $11,000 in 4th year. Of this you need to repay $7,000 in years 1, 2 and 4 and $10500 in year 3. This happens because OSAP forgives any loan over $3500/semester.

As well, there are many bursary's and need based awards. I believe that I have gotten at least $4,000/yr from these (some classmates were getting up to $10,000). There are also a ton of in class awards. These awards are usually specialty specific, so there is an award for someone who has shown interest in family medicine/surgery, etc.

Funding of med school is not as difficult as it seems. The line of credit has an interest rate at prime. I have found that the best one is through royal bank. As well, banks are pretty willing to increase the amount of money on the line of credit, depending on your previous debt, etc.

I'm going to rely on substantial savings for tuition and general cash flow for living expenses, but if I come up short (and I almost certainly will) I'm going to go for OSAP too. Just because of the loan-forgiveness thing. I did the LOC thing in undergrad and I found that paying the monthly interest was taking a big bite out of my cash flow. And that was just on $25 000, don't even want to know what the payment would be on one twice that.

Lol it's not even just the cost of Ramen noodles that makes it great. It's the convenience...

Yea, making Ramen noodles frees up at least another hour of study time! Also, going to club meetings, studying in the back, and then eating the free pizza afterwards is a great way to save money and time.

Yea, making Ramen noodles frees up at least another hour of study time! Also, going to club meetings, studying in the back, and then eating the free pizza afterwards is a great way to save money and time.

ORR...simply just an extra hour to lie around and sleep. Or watch a movie. Or surf the net and procrastinate and feel more justified doing so because you probably would've spent the time cooking BUT aha, thanks to Ramen, you did not, so you get the extra procrastination hour WITHOUT feeling quite AS guilty.

Archived