Premed 101 Forums

Did I just end my chances?

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could give me some input on my situation. Any advice is welcome:

I am a current second year Nova Scotia student. My OMSAS GPA for first year is 4/4 and my GPA for the first semester of second year is 3.75. However, I'm predicting my second semester GPA to be really bad (probably somewhere between 2.2 and 3.0). I have good EC's, almost a year of research (more expected), good reference letters and I'm sure that I can pull off at least a 3.8 next year. I know that admissions are really picky though so I'd like to know: am I finished?

I predict about 6 extra posts after this one.

3 will be along the lines of:

-no of course you're not 100% out of the game yet, and for future references they have threads stickied for things like this: see "what are my chances?"

3 will be along the lines of:

-I was the exact same way. I had a terrible year because of [insert life crisis] and it really shot one semester of my GPA. But I managed to pull through it and get my GPA back up. Plus, your EC's/research might compensate for a lack luster term. Good luck!! :)

Take your pick

Your are definitely not finished. Worst case scenario get one more really good year like your first one and apply to western and queens who take your best two years. Also if its only one term (roughly 5 classes) then keep a full course load and you can drop 4 of them when you apply to uoft. If you don't want to take either of those roads i am sure you can still get in as an IP to DAL. If you do get a 3.8+ for the next 2 years you cGPA will be around 3.75+ making you competitive every wheres and exceptionally competitive at the schools i mentioned above.

No, it is not all over. Though it will affect your GPA, this is far from ruining your chances. If you have taken a full course load you may be eligible for the wGPA at various schools, or some schools take the best/last two years as other posters have mentioned. However, if you have a 4.0 first year and obtain similar marks third and 4th year I am sure you can make up for one semester at around a 3.0.

Just to be the pessimist:

Let's say you get your 2.2 this semester, and then land 2 semesters worth of 3.8s next year. Assuming you've been in the same amount of credit hours each semester, and that you're going to apply for the first time when you're in 4th year, your OMSAS GPA will be a 3.592. Although Queen's may take your best 2 years instead of your most recent 2, you'll still have to make their MCAT cutoffs (which I'm sure you can do). Unfortunately, it seems as though many on the Ontario schools and almost all OOP schools may be off limits for when you apply in fourth year. Of course, since you're a NS resident, you'll get your interview at Dal, even though those grades are a bit below average (3.8 OMSAS past 3 years). I think you'll be considered OOP for MUN, so you may be out of luck there as well.

Fortunately, if you get 3.8s again in your fourth year, your final OMSAS GPA (with the same assumptions as above) will be a 3.644, which will put you in the running in some places, but it still a little off the mark, as I'm sure you may have seen by looking at past posts by people in these forums. Like I said earlier though, you'll always have your Dal interview.

Ok, I'm expecting about 10 flames about how it's evil for me to play ADCOM and that I shouldn't crush a person's dream... All I've done is provide the numbers, so you can draw your own conclusions. I think you've likely closed most of the OOP doors, but your dream isn't finished.

Just to be the pessimist:

Let's say you get your 2.2 this semester, and then land 2 semesters worth of 3.8s next year. Assuming you've been in the same amount of credit hours each semester, and that you're going to apply for the first time when you're in 4th year, your OMSAS GPA will be a 3.592. Although Queen's may take your best 2 years instead of your most recent 2, you'll still have to make their MCAT cutoffs (which I'm sure you can do). Unfortunately, it seems as though many on the Ontario schools and almost all OOP schools may be off limits for when you apply in fourth year. Of course, since you're a NS resident, you'll get your interview at Dal, even though those grades are a bit below average (3.8 OMSAS past 3 years). I think you'll be considered OOP for MUN, so you may be out of luck there as well.

Fortunately, if you get 3.8s again in your fourth year, your final OMSAS GPA (with the same assumptions as above) will be a 3.644, which will put you in the running in some places, but it still a little off the mark, as I'm sure you may have seen by looking at past posts by people in these forums. Like I said earlier though, you'll always have your Dal interview.

Ok, I'm expecting about 10 flames about how it's evil for me to play ADCOM and that I shouldn't crush a person's dream... All I've done is provide the numbers, so you can draw your own conclusions. I think you've likely closed most of the OOP doors, but your dream isn't finished.

I love frank kick-in-the-balls realism. Flowery "don't give up hope at pursuing your dream!!!!" doesn't really get you anywhere

w8, you provided probably the most useful information there is to a question like that

I was the exact same way. I had a terrible year because of personal problems and it really shot one semester of my GPA. But I managed to pull through it and get my GPA back up. Plus, your EC's/research might compensate for a lack luster term. Good luck!! :)

Archived