Premed 101 Forums

Dalhousie Radiology

Hi everyone,

Does anybody here have any experiences/suggestions that they'd like to share regarding radiology electives at Dal? I will be starting a 3 week elective there soon and don't know much about the program. It would be great if anyone could PM me names of radiologists who might be good to work with!

Thanks

street_med

Hey there,

I can comment on both of those programs. I'm a 4th year at Dal (who did a rads elective there), and will be starting as a radiology resident at UofT in July (I did 2 electives there).

As for Dal, most people do an elective through the Halifax Infirmary/Victoria General sites (adult) - which is probably the case for you. If so, the secretary will give you a nice rotation schedule with time allocated to most areas of adult imaging (or so I've heard...I didn't do a rotation at the adult centre). You might not have a whole lot of say as far as who you work with, but there are lots of really friendly, excellent staff and residents, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the elective.

I was a last minute convert to radiology, so there was only space for me at the children's hospital in Halifax (the IWK). I highly recommend an elective there (if you don't mind pediatric pathology). I believe they only take 1 student at a time, and all of the staff are completely devoted to teaching. Most often, you will be 1:1 with staff, or else with 1 resident and staff. Overall, I really enjoyed this elective and learned a lot.

At UofT, I spent time at St. Mike's (doing general) and at the Western (doing diagnostic neuro and neurointerventional). I found the teaching at St. Mike's amazing (at least 2, and often 3 hours/day), with lots of great clinics in the hospital (ie. TB clinic, CF clinic) and traumas producing great images. It is more of a general rotation, with no set schedule, and you are free to spend time in any area of imaging. I found both staff and residents extremely friendly, they were excellent teachers, and I learned a whole lot.

At the Western, I spent all of my time with a really nice diagnostic neuro fellow. The Western is one of the busiest neuroscience centres in North America, and the pathology there was outstanding. They also do some cutting edge interventional work, and have some great staff who actually didn't mind having a med student tag along at times.

Anyways, as you know you are officially suppose to set up electives through the electives office, so I'm not sure how much say you can have as far as chosing sites, but best of luck!

Archived