Premed 101 Forums

Medical School + Match

Hello there everyone,

I was hoping I can get some advice as to how this Residency choice match works?

Does your wanting to attain particular residency (i.e. pediatrics, cardiology, etc.) and success at attaining that position depend on the medical school one attends?

Is it beneficial to attend one particular medical school over another?

how did some of you choose which medical school you wanted to attend, considering you were offered a seat at more than one school?

Any helpful strategies would be appreciated.

Thanks

In general I don't think that the medical school you attend affects where/what you match to. Most schools do very well in the match (go to carms.ca for more info on the match). The most important parts of the match is probably where you do your electives, your reference letters and your interview for the program. Every medical school gives you elective time in fourth year (or third year) to spend at different locations and in different specialties. This is the best way to get to know the program you are interested in as well as allow them to evaluate you for your suitability for that program. I think that how well you do in the match has much more to do with you than the school you came from.

The carms site is an excellent resource to give you an idea of what residency there are, and what locations they are offered. There is also statistics which gives you an idea of how competitive each residency is.

(btw Cardiology is not a direct entry residency, you must go through internal medicine first).

Hello there everyone,

I was hoping I can get some advice as to how this Residency choice match works?

Does your wanting to attain particular residency (i.e. pediatrics, cardiology, etc.) and success at attaining that position depend on the medical school one attends?

Is it beneficial to attend one particular medical school over another?

how did some of you choose which medical school you wanted to attend, considering you were offered a seat at more than one school?

Any helpful strategies would be appreciated.

Thanks

Generally, no.

If you want to match to Complicated Surgery at Prestigious University, doing your MD there could help. You'd have 4 years to do establish connections, get to know the right people, etc.

On the other hand, every year people match to super-competitive specialties at places where they didn't do their MD. Having a good elective and/or a good letter of reference can make up for not having sat in that university's classroom during the preclinical years. If you're going to a school where you have summers off (eg everywhere in the country except Mac and Calgary), start doing electives at Prestigious University from first year to boost your chances.

On the gripping hand, I know people who did long-term electives in Competitive Specialty at Prestigious University who didn't even get a CaRMS interview. Time and chance happen to them all...pb

Archived