Premed 101 Forums

So...how do you get paid for an NSERC USRA (undergrad) summer job?

januarytwenty

Well, it seems some other people on these forums have received NSERC USRA awards to do summer research and I'm just wondering how they were paid? My supervisor never really mentioned this and I was just curious...:D

EDIT: I guess this may vary by university etc., but I'm wondering did you get paid biweekly like any other job, or monthly etc. and just a cheque like any other job?

it's low (welcome to research ;))

i think i'm getting 8500 this summer

Dude thats a lot.....undergrad NSERCs at UofT go for like $6k after the mandatory 25% that profs. have to contribute. Best pay I think I've heard of is UofT's medical biophysics department with a pay of $1600/month, which ends up being $6.4k by the end of the summer.

Haha yeah when I looked back at my original question I knew I was gonna get that response (or similar) :D

Thanks for the input...just wondering how long I'll be waiting for that first paycheque lol...so broke...:P

I think the info that you're looking for is -

At least at my school (Waterloo), payment was made by direct deposit on the last Friday of each month - check with your school's HR department when payday is (it's the same for all university employees) - but you're probably going to have to wait until the end of May.

Yeah I had one last year with MUN's faculty of medicine. Paid the bare minimum (4500 + 25%(1125)) = 5625$. People in the physics dept. get 8000. There is absolutley NO way they did any more work than I did (2400$ worth of it).

I turned down my NSERC this year because studentships with the Canadian Stroke Network went up this year from 5k to 7k. Whoop!

And yeah I got paid every second thursday

I think the info that you're looking for is -

At least at my school (Waterloo), payment was made by direct deposit on the last Friday of each month - check with your school's HR department when payday is (it's the same for all university employees) - but you're probably going to have to wait until the end of May.

japlanet u from waterloo too? according to your stats that you posted previously on this forum I might know who you are, I know a lot of premeds from waterloo btw. Are you in your 3rd year right now?

japlanet u from waterloo too? according to your stats that you posted previously on this forum I might know who you are, I know a lot of premeds from waterloo btw. Are you in your 3rd year right now?

No, I'm 4th year, biochem. Not your typical premed, you may or may not know me. My first name starts with the same two letters as my username.

there are a surprisingly large number of waterloo students wandering around on this form :)

Archived