Premed 101 Forums

RESEARCH: Which is Better?

iamcool

I am finishing up my 3rd year of my undergrad and I have a couple of options for research this summer:

A: Volunteer 2 days/ week as a clinical research assistant at a Children's Hospital

B:Full time employment for the summer as a field research assistant

WHat do you think?

More importantly, what the hell else are you going to do with the three days a week you wouldn't volunteer if you pick (A)? That will be pretty important on your application...

Also, if you research full time, you could also get a couple of hours a week in some volunteer job in the evenings and score both on your application, where as it would be a LOT harder to get a volunteer thing going as your primary and then find a research position that would actually want you for only a couple of days a week.

it kinda sounds like the OP is asking us which would be better "in the eyes of the Adcom"! If, infact this is what you are asking, first ask yourself why are you doing research. Don't do it just for med school.If you have genuine interest in the project, do what you find more interesting.

If you are determined to do research, then ask yourself if you want to get paid, or not. If it doesn't matter either way, then your choice is slightly more simple.

Guest rpuff

depends on what you like

to me, clinical = people, field = cells/tissues/maybe outdoorsy collection stuff? therefore i'd pick the clinical research (but I'm biased because I HATE lab research)

weigh the pros and cons.... do you have something else to fill the rest of your time if you pick the 2 days/week, will you be happy in a laboratory all summer, is the full time research involving something you're interested in or is it a resume booster

also consider finances. most full time research positions pay rather sh*tty but volunteering is for free, are mommy and daddy helping out?

also, have you written your MCAT? if you're writing this summer I'd definitely pick the 2day/week and use the rest of the time effectively to study and prepare.

Archived