Premed 101 Forums

Why do you want to be a doctor?

Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed in some previous thread somewhere but I'm somewhat new to this forum and I was too lazy to go searching through all the past posts.

So, why do YOU want to be a doctor? And be honest....don't give me the "this is what I said during my interview to get me into med school" type of answer. I'm actually curious about everyone's real reasons.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed in some previous thread somewhere but I'm somewhat new to this forum and I was too lazy to go searching through all the past posts.

So, why do YOU want to be a doctor? And be honest....don't give me the "this is what I said during my interview to get me into med school" type of answer. I'm actually curious about everyone's real reasons.

Hmm...aren't you the person that got accepted to med school, turned it down and signed up for a M.Sc. because you love research so very much? And now this genious thread...

Bad troll! Bad!

Anyhow, here is mine. I chose medicine because it is cool to help people. It feels nice.

The science is fascinating and directly helps people - its an opportunity to leave a legacy behind.

I want to work for MSF for a good chunk of time - that would be fascinating to me.

Sounds good enough... but do you know what working for MSF actually involves (i.e. risks)? You can do a lot of good in this world without venturing into extremely dangerous areas.

Hmm...aren't you the person that got accepted to med school, turned it down and signed up for a M.Sc. because you love research so very much? And now this genious thread...

Bad troll! Bad!

Anyhow, here is mine. I chose medicine because it is cool to help people. It feels nice.

Ummm...ya, and now I reapplied to med school for this upcoming cycle. Just because I love research doesn't mean I don't love med. I actually want to do medical research in the future (part time in the clinic, part time in the lab) so I don't really understand where the hostility in your post is coming from.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone has their own reasons for studying med and I'm just curious. I know mine is because I genuinely want to help people. I'd like to be an oncologist in the future since almost everyone these days is being affected by cancer in one way or another....and it seems like a lot of people that get cancer are people that don't deserve it (are young, lead healthy lifestyles, etc.).

Sounds good enough... but do you know what working for MSF actually involves (i.e. risks)? You can do a lot of good in this world without venturing into extremely dangerous areas.

Yeah, this reminds me of that group of docs/nurses who got kidnapped somewhere like Somalia recently...no MSF for me, lol.

Well, I don't think MSF has much need for oncologists really. After watching Triage and listening to James Orbinski recount the multiple times he was held at gunpoint or threatened in some way, I was thinking... no. Not me. I remain very interested in global health, but I don't really have much inclination to hang out in a country during a genocide.

Bad troll! Bad!

Did he turn down a Canadian acceptance? :eek:

I'm really interested in translational research with neurological diseases, i.e. making CLINICALLY RELEVANT animal research models and turning them into human trials.

i hate when premeds say "i just want to help people".

BS. Go work at a food bank, or volunteer at a homeless shelter. You can do so much for society "helping people" without devoting 12+ years to school

Who cares why other people want to be a doctor?

The progression of this thread suggests some stupid motive by the OP to exert moral superiority over the rest. Not the first time for this OP.

Woahhhhh.....calm down. I don't think I'm more superior than anybody and I don't know where you got that from.

I was actually just curious.

Thanks NewfieMike for giving a neat response. Do you want to work with any neurological diseases in particular?

I've been doing research on stroke as an undergrad, and have interest in brain hemorrhage/aneurysms. Although as of this term I've developed an interest in the immune side of things as well, so I've been looking into some labs that do neuroimmunology work like multiple sclerosis

There are many reasons, all the usual ones I suppose. I love the science, the human body, the mechanics. I'm completely fascinated by medicine and more importantly I find it challenging...which a person like me needs. In particular, I think I want to do something in the mental health field, there are issues in psychiatric medicine that really resonate. But I think I could say the same for cancer research...

Why do I want to be an MD? Because I'm good at physio/anatomy/pathology, I'm interested in the human body (therefore I won't get bored of it anytime soon), and I like to help people without hurting others in the process (Robin Hood is an a-hole for assuming the rich are automatically bad) :D. Seriously for me its all about what I want to achieve in life (make a positive impact on society) and what career path will make me most effective in achieving it (ie. using my best skill set).

And there is nothing wrong in wanting to be a physician without really wanting to help people directly. My friend wants an MD because it allows a person great flexibility in their career. You can just go and practice full-time, go into clinical research, academic research, investments, drug development, etc. Not many degrees give you that much flexibility.

Cool answers guys!

NewfieMike, that's awesome that you want to work on MS. It's such a devastating disease and we really do need better treatments for it. I saw something on CTV a few months ago how people with MS were flying over to China to get this new treatment where they basically rebuild your immune system using stem cells. Interesting stuff....just a shame that people feel as though they need to fly over to China since their treatment options here are so limited.

In particular, I think I want to do something in the mental health field, there are issues in psychiatric medicine that really resonate. But I think I could say the same for cancer research...

What kind of cancer research are you interested in?

Because I think it's a career that I would enjoy. That's it, in a nutshell. I'd love to do Sports Medicine and spend my life training while being paid for it. Or maybe neurology.

So what's the difference between being a Sports Medicine doctor vs. a kinesiologist or a physiotherapist? I actually don't know and that's why I'm asking. I have a friend studying human kinetics at Ottawa U and he doesn't want to be a doctor but he's trying to figure out what else he can do with his degree....

Seriously for me its all about what I want to achieve in life (make a positive impact on society) and what career path will make me most effective in achieving it (ie. using my best skill set).

Very, very true. Well put.

There are many reasons, all the usual ones I suppose. I love the science, the human body, the mechanics. I'm completely fascinated by medicine and more importantly I find it challenging...which a person like me needs. In particular, I think I want to do something in the mental health field, there are issues in psychiatric medicine that really resonate. But I think I could say the same for cancer research...

Cancer research? Hi five! I'm involved with breast cancer research on mice model right now. I'm looking to transition into developing new methods of cancer treatments in the clinical setting. I have some radical ideas, but I'll keep that to myself for now :D. I'll just say its elegantly simple. Hopefully you'll be reading about it in like 20-30 years, and be able to take advantage of it in like 30-40yrs. Its the main reason I want to specialize in radiology oncology.

Cancer research? Hi five! I'm involved with breast cancer research on mice model right now. I'm looking to transition into developing new methods of cancer treatments in the clinical setting. I have some radical ideas, but I'll keep that to myself for now :D. I'll just say its elegantly simple. Hopefully you'll be reading about it in like 20-30 years, and be able to take advantage of it in like 30-40yrs. Its the main reason I want to specialize in radiology oncology.

chances are if you think you're found some "elegantly simple" solution to treat cancer, someone else has and it hasn't worked.

edit: how heroic of you to have it figured out now but want to wait 20 years so you can take all the credit... why not tell someone now and save lives sooner? prestige hunting, perhaps?

chances are if you think you're found some "elegantly simple" solution to treat cancer, someone else has and it hasn't worked.

Don't hate! LOL, jk

Yes its slightly true. I'm aware of a few profs in U.S. working on slightly similar projects, but the logistics in their method make it impractical in a full-blown clinical setting. I just thought of a way to expand on their initial concept that will make it much easier to implement in the clinical setting. Thats the nice thing about research, there is always a way forward. Everything can be improved on.

Archived