Premed 101 Forums

# of interviews

hey,

I am looking all over and trying to find how many were interviewed. I think I read somewhere that it was 550 last year, but I really am not sure. I also read that it was more this year. If anyone can tell me how many were interviewed this year, it would be much appreciated. Do they release this info?

Thanks a lot

They'd be interviewing way less people if they were to consider the whole application package like UT does, instead of strict GPA/MCAT cutoff.

~180 out of 760 with waitlist movement is too much of a crapshoot, esp with interview being 100%.

Probably a crap shoot for us, but not a crap shoot for them - it is extremely likely they will get 100 very good people out of the process, which is what they want. it is just really annoying to us.

They tried using essays but found they were useless. They found gpa after a point was pretty meaningless, so the don't want to really look at that. All that is left was the subjective stuff, which I guess they hoped they could evaluate at the interview.

That's true, med admissions is always a dreadful process filled with uncertainty.

I agree with their GPA/MCAT strict cutoff to some extent, as I think anyone with a 3.75 or above in their recent two years have essentially demonstrated that they can do well academically. This would also eliminate a lot of discrepancies between programs (i.e. huge debate between engineering and healthsci). Of course, higher GPA should still be given more advantage post-interview. Approximately 25% like Western would be great, anything more than 50% like UT is too much.

As for their interview style this year, I'm sure a lot of people interviewing in the second round had somewhat of an advantage compared to the first round, some might've even memorized their answer to every question.

So the way they are doing it this year, compared to other schools, is probably not the best way to select physicians.

That's true, med admissions is always a dreadful process filled with uncertainty.

I agree with their GPA/MCAT strict cutoff to some extent, as I think anyone with a 3.75 or above in their recent two years have essentially demonstrated that they can do well academically. This would also eliminate a lot of discrepancies between programs (i.e. huge debate between engineering and healthsci). Of course, higher GPA should still be given more advantage post-interview. Approximately 25% like Western would be great, anything more than 50% like UT is too much.

As for their interview style this year, I'm sure a lot of people interviewing in the second round had somewhat of an advantage compared to the first round, some might've even memorized their answer to every question.

So the way they are doing it this year, compared to other schools, is probably not the best way to select physicians.

yeah I agree - I think they were a little surprised by the number of applicants :) They weren't completely ready for dealing with so many.

I believe the interview is worth 50%, your ECs, letters of recommendation, etc is worth the other 50%. I might be wrong though.

Did they change to 50%? From what I know, it's 100% interview once your MCAT and GPA meets the cutoff. I don't think EC ever comes into play. They might, however, contact your reference letter writers, but I doubt it's part of the formula.

Did they change to 50%? From what I know, it's 100% interview once your MCAT and GPA meets the cutoff. I don't think EC ever comes into play. They might, however, contact your reference letter writers, but I doubt it's part of the formula.

That is my understanding - the whole this is the most important 30mins of your life speech can be inserted here :)

I believe the interview is worth 50%, your ECs, letters of recommendation, etc is worth the other 50%. I might be wrong though.

Are you just saying this because they interviewed so many more people this year, or do you have evidence? Nothing has changed on Queen's admission website.

Again and again people within Queen's circle of admissions have said EC's aren't considered outside the interview.

It does say on their website however they'll look at your references, and a few years back that used to say that references counted for something, so they may still now....

I would guess that it is between your spoken interview (50%+), the written assignment and your references to determine your ranking.

Again and again people within Queen's circle of admissions have said EC's aren't considered outside the interview.

It does say on their website however they'll look at your references, and a few years back that used to say that references counted for something, so they may still now....

I would guess that it is between your spoken interview (50%+), the written assignment and your references to determine your ranking.

I always thought it was just 100% interview...well I mean obviously this year they would add the writing assignment too, but that's really just like another question in the interview.

I always thought it was just 100% interview...well I mean obviously this year they would add the writing assignment too, but that's really just like another question in the interview.

From the website:

------

How much emphasis is placed on academic and how much on extracurricular activities?

Applicants are assessed in sequential steps. The first steps are based on academic requirements - the GPA and MCAT scores. Applicants who successfully make these cuts are invited for an interview and their academic marks are no longer considered in the admission process. Those applicants are then assessed based on personal experiences and personal characteristics through an interview.

---------

So the short answer is after the cut off academics matter not, and it would appear the interview is the primary evaluation tool.

From the website:

------

How much emphasis is placed on academic and how much on extracurricular activities?

Applicants are assessed in sequential steps. The first steps are based on academic requirements - the GPA and MCAT scores. Applicants who successfully make these cuts are invited for an interview and their academic marks are no longer considered in the admission process. Those applicants are then assessed based on personal experiences and personal characteristics through an interview.

---------

So the short answer is after the cut off academics matter not, and it would appear the interview is the primary evaluation tool.

Yea, so that's why I was wondering whether or not what supafield said was based on evidence or speculation.

All I said was reference letters had a little weight in the past, and it still says on their website that they at least consider them so maybe they hold weight now.

Likely however, it's going to be mostly your interview and the written question as their website says GPA and MCAT are gone after getting the interview and that they consider your sketch only through your interview, not on a separate basis.

Likely however, it's going to be mostly your interview and the written question as their website says GPA and MCAT are gone after getting the interview and that they consider your sketch only through your interview, not on a separate basis.

Yeah, but the interview this year was standardized, so how could they consider a sketch if they couldn't talk about it? I don't think my interviewers even had my sketch - at least it was never on display.

Yeah, but the interview this year was standardized, so how could they consider a sketch if they couldn't talk about it? I don't think my interviewers even had my sketch - at least it was never on display.

they must have had them, my reviewer mentioned parts of mine they wanted to clarify - just happened that the interviewer and myself love to snorkel and he wanted to know where I have traveled for it. Must of had the sketch to do that!

Archived