Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So... random question for all you Ontarionites (Ontarionians? Ontarians?.... people from Ontario:D.....).... with the HST thing coming into effect on July 1 (which you guys are getting hosed on btw. That totally sucks from what I've read about it.... I like living in a province when all taxes amount to 5% :D), if I buy a plane ticket (round trip) from Edmonton to Ontario (and then obviously back again) would I be paying HST on the return flight (or the flight there for that matter) even though I'm purchasing it in Alberta? ie- will there be any difference in the price of tickets from June 30 to July 1?

I ask because I'm trying to plan my trip... and I want to know if I should hurry up and make a decision about flights, or if I can wait until after my MCAT to figure it all out....

Depends on where the agency that you buy the tickets from is located.

I don't really understand this HST bizinazz you guys. Weren't we already paying 5% and 8% in taxes before (in ON)? So what if it's combined? Why all the brouhaha? Can someone please explain?

some things can only have the 5% GST charged to them, and we used to not have to pay PST on it... but now... almost everything that used to only have a 5% tax now has a 13% tax... sigh

I don't really understand this HST bizinazz you guys. Weren't we already paying 5% and 8% in taxes before (in ON)? So what if it's combined? Why all the brouhaha? Can someone please explain?

Because the taxes were separate, some things were only charged 1 tax (usually the 5% GST).

But since the taxes are being harmonized, things that were charged only 1 tax are now being charged the sum of both (13%)

This includes (not exhaustive list):

-women's hygiene products

-international flights and local flights

-gasoline

-services (ex/ condo fees, any manual labour)

-used cars

-new houses over $400K (this is huge)

-domestic trains

-taxi fare

-hotel/camping accommodations

-smoking / smoking cessation stuff

-internet / phone bills

-gas/electric utilities

-dry cleaning

-gym membership

-funeral services (there has been a HUGE increase in the number of people doing pre-need services)

-etc... (many many more, can't think of anymore, but I know there is a pdf by the Ontario government outlining the changes)

http://hstontario.com/hst-ontario/hst-changes-list/

B/c on some items you were charged one or the other. Now you will be charged either 5 or 13.

Some things you don't have to pay PST on, like kids clothes, and now will have to pay.

Sigh...that reminds me, I need to fill up my gas before July 1st so that I don't get hit with the extra 8%

Out of curiosity, what is the price of gas over there?

Because the taxes were separate, some things were only charged 1 tax (usually the 5% GST).

But since the taxes are being harmonized, things that were charged only 1 tax are now being charged the sum of both (13%)

This includes (not exhaustive list):

-women's hygiene products

-international flights and local flights

-gasoline

-services (ex/ condo fees, any manual labour)

http://hstontario.com/hst-ontario/hst-changes-list/

I never did understand why that was taxed (even GST) in the first place... they aren't supposed to tax for "necessities"... the tax is supposed to be for "luxury" items... last I checked that wasn't a luxury:rolleyes:

NS's tax rates are going back up to 15%.

:eek: That's insane!!!! I'm really glad I live in AB now..... 5% :D

:eek: That's insane!!!! I'm really glad I live in AB now..... 5% :D

Yay! I'm moving to Alberta very shortly - hurray for low taxes! :D (I'm glad to be moving from Ontario just as the HST is coming in!)

My two cats are looking so adorable right now (yes, I know most people think they look strange, since they are Sphynx, but in person, they are SO cute!)

img1876y.th.jpg

Ahhh, thanks guys! Appreciate it. :)

So Deeman, I guess you're taking up McGill's offer?

Cnb, gas is under a dollar here in T.O. (98 cents-ish) But in other parts of the province, gas is more than a dollar, around 1.20. Depends on which part of ON you visit. The remote parts will charge you more, the metropolitan parts tend to charge you less.

Then, go to the Caribbean. :D
I'd love to, but I'm working on a huge project in the lab that I can't really leave at the moment. Also, I already went to Chicago this summer, so I don't really have any vacation time left. :(

Oh well. At least I had a free vacation this summer already. :)

That scandal thread if a fu(king train wreck.

I agree. I've been tempted to post in there, but then again, I don't want to get in the middle of it. It's too intense.

Ugh... I agree. Like one of the earlier posters in the thread said... "no good can come of this". Call me naive and stupid, but I don't understand how people can be so judgemental on RUMORS. Ugh... it reminds me of elementary/junior high/high school all over again... I thought that once you hit university, people would grow up and realize how dumb it is. I especially thought that those applying to med would have more..... I don't know exactly the word I'm looking for... character? ethics? brains? common-sense? All of the above? than to start/say shiz like that. Not cool.

EDIT: Although, I did have to laugh at the poster telling sfinch he needs to get laid if starting that thread was his idea of "fun" lol.

EDIT 2: I think it's really stupid that people are assuming that one side of the story is right as opposed to the other.... like my mom always says... "There's 3 sides to every story- yours, mine, and the truth. Usually the truth is somewhere in between yours and mine. Sometimes though, it's nowhere near either."

That scandal thread if a fu(king train wreck.

it was started by sfinch, what do you expect lol.....and *apparently* the doctor involved posted too. I'm more inclined to think that a trolling premed posed as the doc...

We need more mods. asap

it was started by sfinch, what do you expect lol.....and *apparently* the doctor involved posted too. I'm more inclined to think that a trolling premed posed as the doc...

We need more mods. asap

Agreed.

On a totally different (and much funnier) note.... Someone was arrested in NY.... for driving while intoxicated. What's so funny you ask?... He was driving a snowmobile.... in June.....

http://www.thepassinglane.ca/2010/06/man-accused-of-snowmobiling-while-intoxicated-in-june.html

Last I checked, it was called a SNOWmobile for a reason:rolleyes: haha

Archived