Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

Hehe. I need to get out of the habit of using German words. :o I know I'll be saying "Danke" a lot instead of thank you for the first week I'm back home. :P

I used Danke a lot when I dated a German Menno... :P

Why I learned to cook - Organic Bison Burgers at 2:30 am :D

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$#^%@#^#$%#!@%$@#%#$Q%$!%$#@%#$^@%$^&%*^&($^*^%&%$@^#$!%$#^#%^&$%&%^*$^*^%@^#$%#!^%#^&%^*%#&%^!#$%$#!%%^$^

Landlord has requested vacation of the premises at the end of the one year contract. That means we might have to move literally on the day of my MCAT. Oh God.

$#^%@#^#$%#!@%$@#%#$Q%$!%$#@%#$^@%$^&%*^&($^*^%&%$@^#$!%$#^#%^&$%&%^*$^*^%@^#$%#!^%#^&%^*%#&%^!#$%$#!%%^$^

There are miniminums on the roads here too... I have been stopped for going too slowly on the highway and in the city.

Maybe I was doing it to meet cops. OR MAYBE I WAS TRYING TO FIND A PARKING SPOT YOU MORON THAT IS WHY I WAS DRIVING SLOWLY ... *seeths*

It's illegal to park on the highway. :P

Landlord has requested vacation of the premises at the end of the one year contract. That means we might have to move literally on the day of my MCAT. Oh God.

ahhh wait? I thought that wasn't allowed(?) Is this some property you are leasing?

From the landlord tenant act (this is Ontario's version, which is where I thought you were from (correct me if I am wrong :)):

About Ending a Tenancy

Renewing a lease

The end of a lease does not mean a tenant has to move out. A new lease can be made or the landlord and tenant can agree to renew the lease for another fixed term period.

If a new agreement is not reached, the tenant still has the right to stay:

•as a monthly tenant, if they paid their rent by the month in the expired lease, or

•as a weekly tenant, if they paid their rent by the week in the expired lease.

Where the tenant stays on as a monthly or weekly tenant, all the rules of the former lease will still apply to the landlord and tenant. But the landlord can increase the rent each year by the amount allowed under the Act.

-------------------

Not sure if this actually applies to you (you might be in what is called a boarding house if the landlord is on the property with you), and there are some reasons the landlord can still request you to leave - to make vital repairs etc, but in most cases the landlord cannot actually make you leave a property at the end of the lease.

Following up on what rmorelan says, I am s ure you would qulify for free legal aid and you can/should obtain advice as to your rights. Obviously, the landlord wants to ikeep renting the premises, so either he wants more money or something. Verify your entitlements and don't allow yourself to be pushed around.

Following up on what rmorelan says, I am s ure you would qulify for free legal aid and you can/should obtain advice as to your rights. Obviously, the landlord wants to ikeep renting the premises, so either he wants more money or something. Verify your entitlements and don't allow yourself to be pushed around.

yup - no one (including landlords) actually bother to read the tenant act. Landlords actually have remarkably little power.

I know guys, and thanks for the law quote but it's not very formal here. We and the landlord are both from the same background, so friendly contact etc etc...not very formal. He said he'd like to stop renting in two months and it's a fair request, delivered in a friendly manner. Though we can "legally" stay, staying beyond his deadline would be rude and weird, if you know what I mean. It's not like he stormed in and demanded vacation thought I guess my previous post looks that way, lol :D

We're currently searching for a home to buy anyway. My only concern is that the actual moving might cut into my time so I might push the MCAT to early Sept.

Grr. I'm trying to figure out why the U of A doesn't have a lovely dedicated undergraduate advisor person in my soon-to-be-new faculty. I guess I was spoiled at Guelph, where any questions I had regarding credits or my program were easily answered by the undergraduate student advisor. And that's all that person did: her full time job was as undergraduate student advisor.

At U of A, it seems that in ALES (the faculty I will soon be a part of), various professors are assigned groups of students, alphabetically, and those profs act as those students' advisors. Now, needless to say, profs are busy with research, teaching, grad student supervision, etc, so really don't have a lot of time for advising their undergraduates.

I've been waiting, since April, to find out about my transfer credit from Guelph. Now, I've registered for both fall and winter, so I have a full course load currently, but if I get any transfer credits, I'll need to enroll in other courses to maintain a full course load. The problem, of course, if that those other courses are already full or have very few seats left in them.

To top it off, my move back to Canada, and my adventure from Munich, to Montreal, to Ottawa, and then onwards to Edmonton (basically driving from Ottawa to Edmonton once I am back on Canadian soil) begins shortly, so I will have sporadic phone and email between now and, oh, about 3 weeks from now.

I'm trying to be patient and understanding (I've already sent several emails - several weeks between each) but I really, really wish there was a dedicated undergraduate advisor. And I hope that if I DO get transfer credit, and the courses I need end up being full, that I'm allowed to take a letter of permission course somewhere so I can keep a full course load. Or that, since they didn't give me transfer credit for any of my math courses, I can take intro calculus or intro algebra for an easy A (since those were easy A+s for me the first time around, and since I've taken more advanced maths since then).

Ah, the joys of a second degree, at a new university, in a different province. :P

It's finally a nice day to wear shorts!!!!!!! (Second day so far this summer) -- 14degrees out :)
Ok. I'll give you 10° from Ottawa's weather. That way, you can have 24° and here it'll only feel like 31° (versus the swealtering 41 that we're having right now)

Archived