Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

Law, you have too many needs! Not enough compromises! Continental wide texting, talking, data? Turn off you're effing data roaming! You don't NEED that fb update when you're in the US! You're best bet is to either stay on telus and hook up with a retention plan in the future (they'll give you a sweet deal cause you're shelling out $$$$$$$$$$ every month to them) or switch to fido and try the same thing. Either way if you don't want to pay out the ass you have to get a contract. And stop tethering internationally! :P

And I thought I was being spoiled. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Other option would be to get a US sim and a Canadian sim. I used to have 2 sims back when I was living in the US for part of the year. It was cheaper.

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Law, you have too many needs! Not enough compromises! Continental wide texting, talking, data? Turn off you're effing data roaming! You don't NEED that fb update when you're in the US! You're best bet is to either stay on telus and hook up with a retention plan in the future (they'll give you a sweet deal cause you're shelling out $$$$$$$$$$ every month to them) or switch to fido and try the same thing. Either way if you don't want to pay out the ass you have to get a contract. And stop tethering internationally! :P

And I thought I was being spoiled. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Other option would be to get a US sim and a Canadian sim. I used to have 2 sims back when I was living in the US for part of the year. It was cheaper.

Eh, why should I compromise? :P ROBBERS has another plan that'll cost $90/month and include 500 mb data for canada and the US, but won't include texting WHILE in the US. Screw that lol.

Yeah, my phone is unlocked, I might just get a US sim. I guess I could forward my phone calls to my US number then?

Anyway, if I get lucky and get into med school then I'll probably be moving to the US... ain't nobody tying me down to a contract now. I will never sign a contract unless they give me an absolutely unbelievable plan lol. You know what, the guy who gave me my plan told me the 1GB of data I have works in both Canada and the US... HE TOTALLY lied to me because I saw on their website that it's $1/MB, can I ***** about that? I'm debating saying, I was surfing your site and it says $1/MB... I was told the plan would INCLUDE 1GB of data for north america wide use... should I do it?

Eh, why should I compromise? :P ROBBERS has another plan that'll cost $90/month and include 500 mb data for canada and the US, but won't include texting WHILE in the US. Screw that lol.

Yeah, my phone is unlocked, I might just get a US sim. I guess I could forward my phone calls to my US number then?

Yea just do that. I used to pay $17 to get in on my aunt & uncle's family plan and just use their (mostly unused) plan while in the US. :D

And obviously you should ***** about that! Duh! Stop bending over and talking it up the backside. :P

Yea just do that. I used to pay $17 to get in on my aunt & uncle's family plan and just use their (mostly unused) plan while in the US. :D

And obviously you should ***** about that! Duh! Stop bending over and talking it up the backside. :P

I doubt they'll do anything for me though! I'll try though. What if they won't give me what the sales associate said... then I will sue them!

I doubt they'll do anything for me though! I'll try though. What if they won't give me what the sales associate said... then I will sue them!

If they don't give you that (very likely) insult their business practices and their legitimacy as a telecommunications company. And pretend like rogers and bell are leagues better. lol. Threaten to leave. That will usually get you to some sort of customer relations, who I know can hook stuff up like that. Come on law! You ***** at me all the time, I know you can do it. :P

If they don't give you that (very likely) insult their business practices and their legitimacy as a telecommunications company. And pretend like rogers and bell are leagues better. lol. Threaten to leave. That will usually get you to some sort of customer relations, who I know can hook stuff up like that. Come on law! You ***** at me all the time, I know you can do it. :P

LOL at Law's stament.

And awwww. Your convo is kind of cute methinks.

Also, I've never yelled at anyone over the phone. I admire the courage!

Grr! I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and find a walk-in clinic in Ottawa. Stupid LUQ pain is getting quite insistent. :( Why can't I be a doctor already? :P

I hope you've seen a doctor by the time you read this. *hugs*

I find that the limit on the 401 is a 'suggestion' and I have passed OPP on the road, above the speed limit, w/o any problem. They seem to go after you when driving at 'excessive' speed in their judgment.

Or if they think you're sexy.

Haha, fine, I'll try. Better than nothing.

haha, only happened twice and I deliberately looked only ahead of me, cannot say where they were looking when I was alongside of them. :)

If I would have caught dee, I would have pulled him over. And then asked him out. :D (no ticket)

wow, first indication that future_doc is actually human!

Dee, you must be a black stallion, to say the least

wow, first indication that future_doc is actually human!

Dee, you must be a black stallion, to say the least

Us humans (I already had told you I was human :) ) have no interest in ehtnicity or race, it is all about character and a compassionate heart. dee is a good guy.:o I am sure that you are too! :D And I am sure you are human no matter how you categorize yourself.

haha, only happened twice and I deliberately looked only ahead of me, cannot say where they were looking when I was alongside of them. :)

If I would have caught dee, I would have pulled him over. And then asked him out. :D (no ticket)

Breathlessly say, "I guess I'll let you go with a warning, you stud!"

Of course, when we get to Edmonton, we will need to find a company that offers TV, internet, phone, etc., in addition to my iPhone. We're in an apartment building, so not everything is necessarily available. I guess we'll see once we get there.

In other news, I'm experiencing some left upper quadrant abdominal pain that I'm hoping is just a result of changing diet from Munich-German back to Ottawa-Canadian. Either that or it's my bloody endometriosis growing in a new place. My old family doctor in Ottawa is too booked to see me, and well, I'll be on the road until we get to Edmonton, where I'll probably have to rely on the university health services since it seems there are no family doctors seeing new patients in Edmonton. No other symptoms, so I'm really hoping it's just the change in diet and that is goes away soon.

Shaw has decent phone/internet/cable plans and no contract. (Customer service is also really friendly when you do have to call).

As for finding a family doc- good luck. The only reason my family managed to get one, was when our doc from where we used to live moved up here, we told him to take our files with him (he moved up almost 8 years before we did. lol- but calling into the clinic was a 4 month wait (for a regular appointment)- at least when we called into his new office up in Edmonton, it was at most a week... so if we really needed to see a doc my mom would drive us the ~2.5 hour trip! lol). My best recommendation would be to open up the phone book and call each doc and ask if they're taking new patients. If you have any family in Edmonton, you might be able to get a family doc because *some* will take family members even if they're technically full. But even then, a lot aren't anymore because they're just too full.

I don't know how the UofA med clinic is (I know it's a CRAZY long wait though), but if you can at all help it, don't go to the medicentres. Or at least not the one at Heritage Village. It's such a crapshoot as to whether you get a good doc or not. I end up getting the "or not" more often then anything when I need to use the medicentre (the one didn't even look at my throat when I was really sick with a sore throat. She basically walked in, heard I couldn't talk, told me to try not to talk and wrote me out a prescription. Seriously. It was like a 30 second appointment. After a 3 hour wait. wtf! lol)

Your best bet I think would be the "after hours" clinic at the Misercordia hospital. It opens at like 6 or something and everytime someone I've known has gone there, they say the docs have been really quite good.

My plan is brutal though (w/o data pass 10, which is a 30 day pass that you can add anytime you want) it is:

$87/month:

-350 anytime minutes

-evening/weekend 6pm (cost me $7/month)

-nationwide my5

-1GB data

-voice mail, conference calling

-unlimited n. america wide text & caller ID ($15 of the price of the plan is here)

Still cheaper than what I had to pay with WIND with roaming. Last month my bill was $200. At least now, for $10 I can get roaming at $1/MB vs $4/MB.

I'm on a month to month plan though, can cancel anytime and now my phone is unlocked so can go with any company. If anybody can think of a better plan for me, let me know! I need all of these features, I like having options (ex. free texting while i'm in the US, cheap data in the US - cause when I don't my bill becomes HUGEEE lol). Also def need caller ID, voice mail, etc.

I was so desperate that I even looked @ ROGERS plans. They will eventually screw you over, they always find a way to get their money's worth and good luck arguing with morons who say one thing to you on the phone but never carry through with it. For God's sake, they tried charging me $300 for a modem I returned. I even had the receipt and they were STILL trying to charge me for it. Idiots.

Hmm... that's pretty expensive..

I ended up not going with Wind because I found a much cheaper plan overall (and even though Wind has coverage in Edmonton, I apparently live in the ONE neighbourhood where they don't quite have coverage yet! lol... seriously- they have coverage all the way to Leduc and the surrounding area, but not in my little neighbourhood? lol). Virgin mobile currently has a student plan (all you need to do is show a valid student ID... actually, not even that, because they didn't ask for mine:rolleyes:)... I have the cheaper plan, but based on what you want data wise (mine is only 500MB)... This might work for you:

For $65 you'd get...

Unlimited Nationwide Talk&Text to 10 people

1GB Data

Unlimited Evenings and Weekends (7pm-7am)

250 Anytime minutes

Incoming Text

Call waiting

Call forwarding

Conference calling

Unlimited Texting- $10 (extra)

Voicemail/Call Display- $10 (extra) (So if you got it all I guess the price would be similar at $85)

If you could live with only 500MB of data, it would work out to $70 total including the added on unlimited text and voicemail/call display (additional data is $0.05/MB). The only thing is, is I don't know if they have anything where you can get roaming in the US for cheaper... (although, as far as roaming data in the US is concerned I don't think you need to pay extra? But don't quote me on that)

And the cool thing is, is there's no contract required (I just went with a contract so I could get the phone for cheaper) and you can switch your plan for free once a month (and you can also change the 10 people on there for free once a month). And as far as I know, you can add stuff on at any time for no charge.

They're a division of Bell, so you'll get the same coverage Bell gets (and technically Telus, since they work off each other's towers)- so you shouldn't get dropped calls like you did with Wind.

I guess I'm slightly biased against Telus because I used to be with them- I absolutely HATED having to call their customer service, and seriously, they can be just as sneaky as Rogers (well, almost anyways by the sounds of it). With Virgin mobile though, I swear, the customer service people must get a prozac or something everday before starting their shift because they always sound so perky. lol. Plus their "hold" music doesn't suck. lol. So you coiuld even call them and ask about roaming, data, and text while in the US.

I was so desperate that I even looked @ ROGERS plans. They will eventually screw you over, they always find a way to get their money's worth and good luck arguing with morons who say one thing to you on the phone but never carry through with it. For God's sake, they tried charging me $300 for a modem I returned. I even had the receipt and they were STILL trying to charge me for it. Idiots.

I had one of those free trials for Bell, but I never activated it for a year.

One day, I get a bill in the mail asking for $400 for internet service (which I never signed for, I just had this free package that came with my computer)

I call customer service, they agree to knock off $100

I get pissed, ask to speak to the manager, at which point she waived the entire bill without any further questions (I guess she was really scared of her manager, lol)

Unfortunately, Rogers is my best bet because of that corporate plan. I really wish Wind was more flexible with their plans (offer something between their $15 and $35 plan).

Shaw has decent phone/internet/cable plans and no contract. (Customer service is also really friendly when you do have to call).

As for finding a family doc- good luck. The only reason my family managed to get one, was when our doc from where we used to live moved up here, we told him to take our files with him (he moved up almost 8 years before we did. lol- but calling into the clinic was a 4 month wait (for a regular appointment)- at least when we called into his new office up in Edmonton, it was at most a week... so if we really needed to see a doc my mom would drive us the ~2.5 hour trip! lol). My best recommendation would be to open up the phone book and call each doc and ask if they're taking new patients. If you have any family in Edmonton, you might be able to get a family doc because *some* will take family members even if they're technically full. But even then, a lot aren't anymore because they're just too full.

I don't know how the UofA med clinic is (I know it's a CRAZY long wait though), but if you can at all help it, don't go to the medicentres. Or at least not the one at Heritage Village. It's such a crapshoot as to whether you get a good doc or not. I end up getting the "or not" more often then anything when I need to use the medicentre (the one didn't even look at my throat when I was really sick with a sore throat. She basically walked in, heard I couldn't talk, told me to try not to talk and wrote me out a prescription. Seriously. It was like a 30 second appointment. After a 3 hour wait. wtf! lol)

Your best bet I think would be the "after hours" clinic at the Misercordia hospital. It opens at like 6 or something and everytime someone I've known has gone there, they say the docs have been really quite good.

Hmm... that's pretty expensive..

I ended up not going with Wind because I found a much cheaper plan overall (and even though Wind has coverage in Edmonton, I apparently live in the ONE neighbourhood where they don't quite have coverage yet! lol... seriously- they have coverage all the way to Leduc and the surrounding area, but not in my little neighbourhood? lol). Virgin mobile currently has a student plan (all you need to do is show a valid student ID... actually, not even that, because they didn't ask for mine:rolleyes:)... I have the cheaper plan, but based on what you want data wise (mine is only 500MB)... This might work for you:

For $65 you'd get...

Unlimited Nationwide Talk&Text to 10 people

1GB Data

Unlimited Evenings and Weekends (7pm-7am)

250 Anytime minutes

Incoming Text

Call waiting

Call forwarding

Conference calling

Unlimited Texting- $10 (extra)

Voicemail/Call Display- $10 (extra) (So if you got it all I guess the price would be similar at $85)

If you could live with only 500MB of data, it would work out to $70 total including the added on unlimited text and voicemail/call display (additional data is $0.05/MB). The only thing is, is I don't know if they have anything where you can get roaming in the US for cheaper... (although, as far as roaming data in the US is concerned I don't think you need to pay extra? But don't quote me on that)

And the cool thing is, is there's no contract required (I just went with a contract so I could get the phone for cheaper) and you can switch your plan for free once a month (and you can also change the 10 people on there for free once a month). And as far as I know, you can add stuff on at any time for no charge.

They're a division of Bell, so you'll get the same coverage Bell gets (and technically Telus, since they work off each other's towers)- so you shouldn't get dropped calls like you did with Wind.

I guess I'm slightly biased against Telus because I used to be with them- I absolutely HATED having to call their customer service, and seriously, they can be just as sneaky as Rogers (well, almost anyways by the sounds of it). With Virgin mobile though, I swear, the customer service people must get a prozac or something everday before starting their shift because they always sound so perky. lol. Plus their "hold" music doesn't suck. lol. So you coiuld even call them and ask about roaming, data, and text while in the US.

I checked out Virgin, roaming in the US is $6/MB :eek:... and text messages were like 60 cents a message in the US... and I don't think the unlimited text counts messages sent to the US from Canada (and I do that pretty often). I think it's probably worth the $17 for the safety of knowing I wont' get overage charges.

canadian companies are all ripping us off. :(

dee is a good guy

Wut? Are you suuree about that?

Breathlessly say, "I guess I'll let you go with a warning, you stud!"

Haha renny. I'm sure you were staring at a pic of me as you came up with that. :P

(too long to quote)

Thats great and all but I talk/text/bbm one of my friends who's on the virgin network all the time and I gotta say its SOOO spotty! :P

I had one of those free trials for Bell, but I never activated it for a year.

One day, I get a bill in the mail asking for $400 for internet service (which I never signed for, I just had this free package that came with my computer)

I call customer service, they agree to knock off $100

I get pissed, ask to speak to the manager, at which point she waived the entire bill without any further questions (I guess she was really scared of her manager, lol)

Unfortunately, Rogers is my best bet because of that corporate plan. I really wish Wind was more flexible with their plans (offer something between their $15 and $35 plan).

I wish that WIND had better coverage. If the coverage wasn't so ****ty and the roaming data was cheaper, I'd definitely have stayed with them to stick it to the man. There really is no company out there that offers very comprehensive plans for a good price. I mean seriously, $15 for call display and texting?!

Archived