Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish that WIND had better coverage. If the coverage wasn't so ****ty and the roaming data was cheaper, I'd definitely have stayed with them to stick it to the man. There really is no company out there that offers very comprehensive plans for a good price. I mean seriously, $15 for call display and texting?!

we get hosed for all communication forms, internet, tv, phone, wireless.

I wonder what would work better overall, fully deregulate and let US companies come in, or have it fully government run.

we get hosed for all communication forms, internet, tv, phone, wireless.

I wonder what would work better overall, fully deregulate and let US companies come in, or have it fully government run.

It's true. The CRTC would never let US companies come in and I'm not really iin favour of the government running the show. I'm in favour of practices that give up and comers a chance to compete with the oligopoly big 3.

I checked out Virgin, roaming in the US is $6/MB :eek:... and text messages were like 60 cents a message in the US... and I don't think the unlimited text counts messages sent to the US from Canada (and I do that pretty often). I think it's probably worth the $17 for the safety of knowing I wont' get overage charges.

canadian companies are all ripping us off.

Oh wow! That is a lot :S. Hopefully Telus doesn't take on any hidden fees for you or switch your plan randomly......

And yeah... I think Canada has almost the worst cell rates of most of the developed world :S

Thats great and all but I talk/text/bbm one of my friends who's on the virgin network all the time and I gotta say its SOOO spotty! :P

Haha... Hmm... I don't find it spotty at all:p. Maybe it's not the network (considering they use the same stuff as Telus/Bell)... maybe it's your phone?:P

Don't have to. You're always on my mind.

Wow! First f_d, now Renin.... sounds like dee has a bunch of admirerers/a fan club going here....

those rates with Wind aren't bad.

Here's what I'm getting with fido at the moment.

$71/month iphone 3gs

2000 anytime minutes (city fido)

unlimited text

6gb data (tethering included)

caller ID and voicemail

Fido isn't too bad, there's no System access fee and I negotiated a $10/month discount with them.

Shaw has decent phone/internet/cable plans and no contract. (Customer service is also really friendly when you do have to call).

As for finding a family doc- good luck. The only reason my family managed to get one, was when our doc from where we used to live moved up here, we told him to take our files with him (he moved up almost 8 years before we did. lol- but calling into the clinic was a 4 month wait (for a regular appointment)- at least when we called into his new office up in Edmonton, it was at most a week... so if we really needed to see a doc my mom would drive us the ~2.5 hour trip! lol). My best recommendation would be to open up the phone book and call each doc and ask if they're taking new patients. If you have any family in Edmonton, you might be able to get a family doc because *some* will take family members even if they're technically full. But even then, a lot aren't anymore because they're just too full.

I don't know how the UofA med clinic is (I know it's a CRAZY long wait though), but if you can at all help it, don't go to the medicentres. Or at least not the one at Heritage Village. It's such a crapshoot as to whether you get a good doc or not. I end up getting the "or not" more often then anything when I need to use the medicentre (the one didn't even look at my throat when I was really sick with a sore throat. She basically walked in, heard I couldn't talk, told me to try not to talk and wrote me out a prescription. Seriously. It was like a 30 second appointment. After a 3 hour wait. wtf! lol)

Your best bet I think would be the "after hours" clinic at the Misercordia hospital. It opens at like 6 or something and everytime someone I've known has gone there, they say the docs have been really quite good.

Super! Thanks for all the information. Really appreciate it. :) Sadly, no family in Edmonton - just being sent there because the crazy Canadian Forces is posting us there (my husband will get out of the CF if/when I get into med school, but for now, one of us needs to be working.)

I hope you've seen a doctor by the time you read this. *hugs*

Thanks. :) Yep, saw a doctor. Basically, it's either my lovely endometriosis spreading someplace new (oh joy) or a gastric ulcer (also oh joy). He gave me some ulcer meds to take for two weeks, and if that doesn't do the trick (or if I develop any new and exciting symptoms) then I should see a doctor again (no surpise. :P) Guess I should lay off the Diet Coke for a while in case it is an ulcer - I think I would rather it be the endo. ;) He basically ruled out anything else since I have no indigestion, no nausea, no vomiting, and normal everything else. Just this very annoying and quite painful pain.

Of course, my sense of pain is totally off. I once broke my L2 vertebra falling off a horse while jumping, and I not only got back on the horse and finished the riding lesson, I untacked and groomed the horse afterwards, and drove the half hour home. It was only later, when I couldn't step over the ledge of the shower on my own after cleaning up, that my parents insist I should go to the ER to get checked out. When they told me my "back" was broken I was in total disbelief. So yeah, judging degrees of pain is not my best thing.

Of course, my sense of pain is totally off. I once broke my L2 vertebra falling off a horse while jumping, and I not only got back on the horse and finished the riding lesson, I untacked and groomed the horse afterwards, and drove the half hour home. It was only later, when I couldn't step over the ledge of the shower on my own after cleaning up, that my parents insist I should go to the ER to get checked out. When they told me my "back" was broken I was in total disbelief. So yeah, judging degrees of pain is not my best thing.

Horse riding is like dope. I feel no pain either :D

Hehe, so true. :D I have to say, I've done more dressage than jumping since that incident though. ;) I'm no longer the undestructable 17 year old I once was - or thought I was. ;)

Once I took a tumble, my parents were like ... THAT IS IT! NO MORE HORSES! ... so I got on a mountain bike and ripped my face open. LOL!

Sometimes parents can't win.

So. Since my laptop tried to electrocute me multiple times, I asked DELL to inspect it immediately. 20 days later, a box has arrived from DELL, asking me to put the laptop in and send it back (prepaid box).

..................................I shall die without access to my laptop. We shall see what happens. It may be adios for a while!

So. Since my laptop tried to electrocute me multiple times, I asked DELL to inspect it immediately. 20 days later, a box has arrived from DELL, asking me to put the laptop in and send it back (prepaid box).

..................................I shall die without access to my laptop. We shall see what happens. It may be adios for a while!

You r lucky that the Dell laptop didn't act like a bomb as they did before to other individuals.

Guys, what do you think about future doctors/doctors having facebook?

I just got scared straight by tales about breaching confidentiality (inadvertently ofcourse) via fb, and then having to face the consequences.

Meh those docs deserve the consequences for not keeping their work and private lives separate. I've always kept facebook for friends only and comment on my own life- it avoids such messy situations.

Guys, what do you think about future doctors/doctors having facebook?

I just got scared straight by tales about breaching confidentiality (inadvertently ofcourse) via fb, and then having to face the consequences.

I have Facebook... and so does almost everyone in my class. Just treat Facebook as a bulletin board outside of your home. If it's not something you'd say in public, don't post it on Facebook.

:)

Funny story - so I work with a Law Firm and one of the lawyers is handling a case for Toronto guy who lost a job because of Facebook.

His employer, a Christian radio station, creeped his profile and found his ratio of female to male friends to be despicable (He had way more girls than guys) so his boss sends him this long letter filled with bible quotes telling him they're going to pray for him... and he's fired... quoting only the number of girls and the profile pics some of them had as the main reason.

Funny story - so I work with a Law Firm and one of the lawyers is handling a case for Toronto guy who lost a job because of Facebook.

His employer, a Christian radio station, creeped his profile and found his ratio of female to male friends to be despicable (He had way more girls than guys) so his boss sends him this long letter filled with bible quotes telling him they're going to pray for him... and he's fired... quoting only the number of girls and the profile pics some of them had as the main reason.

There has to be more to the story than that...

Were there any inappropriate pics or something?

There has to be more to the story than that...

Were there any inappropriate pics or something?

Nope, his profile settings only allowed them to see who he was friends with. I saw the email he was sent, they just chirp him for being friends with lots of girls (it was like a 7 to 1 ratio, good for him) stating that many of the girls failed to exhibit modesty in their profile pictures and a bunch of stuff about how one conveys himself to the public. Its certainly possible that his boss was out to get him for an unrelated personal reason but that was the official reason in his dismissal, which is why it was so funny/outrageous... and also why he sought legal advice.

Well, I begin my trip from Ottawa to Edmonton today. At least we are starting with a nice short drive today: only Ottawa to North Bay. We have no idea how the cats will react in the car, but we have a nice portable shelter thing for them to buckle into the back seat. Hopefully they won't meow the entire way. Both of our Sphynx have Siamese blood in them, and they have the Siamese voice to show for it. ;)

I've never really done anything crazy to celebrate my birthday. I live in a really small house that is not really equipped to deal with large numbers. However, I have a nice back yard + deck that wraps around 2 sides of my house. Tomorrow calls for 22 degrees and sun all day. I was going to have a small shindig at my place (15-18 people) or so. In the car this morning, my mother spills the beans that her and my stepfather are going out of town for the weekend. (note: when my parents make plans to go away/on vacation, they tell me the day before they go so that I don't have a whole lot of time to plan something malicious). Anyways, thanks to the convenience of facebook, I've decided to increase the number of people invited three-fold. This is gonna be a superstar weekend.

I've never really done anything crazy to celebrate my birthday. I live in a really small house that is not really equipped to deal with large numbers. However, I have a nice back yard + deck that wraps around 2 sides of my house. Tomorrow calls for 22 degrees and sun all day. I was going to have a small shindig at my place (15-18 people) or so. In the car this morning, my mother spills the beans that her and my stepfather are going out of town for the weekend. (note: when my parents make plans to go away/on vacation, they tell me the day before they go so that I don't have a whole lot of time to plan something malicious). Anyways, thanks to the convenience of facebook, I've decided to increase the number of people invited three-fold. This is gonna be a superstar weekend.

i can get a roundtrip flight for 700 taxes in that leaves tomorrow....

Eff.

Archived