Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh. :( That's a long way to drive for an exam. :(

My day today:

I just got back from the hotel gym. Finally getting back to working out after three weeks of living in hotels, driving from Ottawa to Edmonton, and moving from Munich! We did work out in a couple of the hotel gyms on our drive across the country, but it wasn't possible to do it everywhere. We have our two cats with us, and the various hotels have different policies as to whether or not pets can be left alone in hotel rooms. But we are now in a hotel where we can leave the cats alone for short periods of time if we let the front desk know and have a cell phone on us, so I can get to the gym. Yay!

I can't wait until our furniture and effects get here so we can move into our apartment and start living normally again. All this restaurant and fast food eating is getting very tiresome. I'm trying to do the healthy choices (and I'm doing breakfast in the room - Luna bar and orange juice ftw! ;)) but still, I know all this eating out isn't good for me.

My husband started working at his new regiment today. He'll have time off when our furniture and effects get here, but for now, he's on duty. He's the DCO (Deputing Commanding Officer) so he'll be plenty busy. So I'm alone in the hotel with our two Sphynx, but at least I can go out for short periods of time, due to the policy I mentioned above.

Does your husband know any mounties?

I forgot, what're you doing these days? Are you loafting like me?

If you're not doing anything, I could use an extra set of eyes to help me scope out some used rides! :)

I WISH I was loafting. More like working my ass off and trying to figure out how to move in my crap to mtl by the end of this week. :confused:

I'll keep my eye out for you though.

That car is for young white boys,at least buy something good looking...*cough*cough*Audi R8*COUGH*

Lmao I didn't buy the car purely for its looks. That was like #4 on the priority list. I'm actually disliking the huge wing on the back, but it serves a really good purpose so it stays. Stuff like r8's and whatnot have to wait until I'm actually a doc with no loans. :P

LOL no. And I only know the answer to that because me and Dee discussed this picture in extensive detail today.

Haha. Law is not taller than me. :P

Lmao I didn't buy the car purely for its looks. That was like #4 on the priority list. I'm actually disliking the huge wing on the back, but it serves a really good purpose so it stays. Stuff like r8's and whatnot have to wait until I'm actually a doc with no loans. :P

Hehe ^^,

My top five cars are:

1:BMW(So hot,my d!ck is getting hard now.)

2:Mercedes(SLR is just so naughty.)

3:Audi(RAWR,i have candies in mah car,wanna come?...)

4:Austin Martin(They like it big,juicy and hard.)

5:Porsche(This is not for the weak.)

Haha. Law is not taller than me. :P

You aren't taller than me either!!! lol

I can attest...neither are much taller than me and they're pretty damn equal. Depends on which one has a hair cut.

Or mine... ;) ;)

Lol. I'm not getting into that...you both tried before, I'm not picking a car!

I have a badass car. And I'm a chick. My biggest requirement is that it needs to be able to take my mountain bike in the back. Tough with the Mitsu.

I work in an auto repair shop, and while mitsis are not terrible, engineering-wise, they're not the best either.

Here's mine...

When I get accepted, we're painting it zebra striped. :D

HZ-3073-01.jpg

^ awesome landy! :D

Yea I'm not a mitsu lover either. I don't like any of their cars except the evos. They're just built differently. And it sucks that I can't put my bike on it! Can't have a trunk rack cause of the wing, can't have a roof rack cause the roof is aluminum, don't want to put a hitch on it cause its heavy as hell. My only option is to dirty up the back seat. :(

^ awesome landy! :D

Yea I'm not a mitsu lover either. I don't like any of their cars except the evos. They're just built differently. And it sucks that I can't put my bike on it! Can't have a trunk rack cause of the wing, can't have a roof rack cause the roof is aluminum, don't want to put a hitch on it cause its heavy as hell. My only option is to dirty up the back seat. :(

Use a blanket Dee...can come in handy for other reasons too.

I just got back from the hotel gym. Finally getting back to working out after three weeks of living in hotels, driving from Ottawa to Edmonton, and moving from Munich! We did work out in a couple of the hotel gyms on our drive across the country, but it wasn't possible to do it everywhere. We have our two cats with us, and the various hotels have different policies as to whether or not pets can be left alone in hotel rooms. But we are now in a hotel where we can leave the cats alone for short periods of time if we let the front desk know and have a cell phone on us, so I can get to the gym. Yay!

I can't wait until our furniture and effects get here so we can move into our apartment and start living normally again. All this restaurant and fast food eating is getting very tiresome. I'm trying to do the healthy choices (and I'm doing breakfast in the room - Luna bar and orange juice ftw! ;)) but still, I know all this eating out isn't good for me.

My husband started working at his new regiment today. He'll have time off when our furniture and effects get here, but for now, he's on duty. He's the DCO (Deputing Commanding Officer) so he'll be plenty busy. So I'm alone in the hotel with our two Sphynx, but at least I can go out for short periods of time, due to the policy I mentioned above.

I'll try to 'rescue' you soon Caylynn!!:)

I hate my condo gym. Because the place is old and because i don't think any of the other residents (retirees?) have any interest in it, they haven't upgraded the machines since 1969. I can't identify some of the things in there. I mean, a treadmill that doesn't do incline??? hmmmm....can't wait till I am in school and in the school gym. My jigglypuffy body is gonna suffer, though:(

Just got OR privileges :D

Will be observing 5 - 7 surgeries this August before starting school :D

---

Anyone have any advice on furniture shopping (i.e. good places to buy the stuff I need?)?

I need to buy:

-a bed (mattress and bed frame)

-pullout couch

-desk

-bean chair

I figure I would rent a van/truck and buy the stuff on my move in date (I'd probably end up buying the couch, desk and chair used off kijiji/craigslist).

But does anyone know any places that have free delivery in Ottawa for beds? I'd prefer not to buy from Ikea (bad bad experiences).

go check out surplus furniture on St Laurent. It isn't far from RGN campus, actually.

They sell out tons of goverment furniture, so it is usually great quality for good prices. Tell them you are a student and I believe you get a further discount. Be extra nice to them and they might even drop the price. It is like any other used place, the stock varies from week to week. The good stuff goes quickly.

http://www.surplusfurniture.ca/

We have bought everything from desks to sofas to wastepaper baskets from them. Oh yes, and lots of desk chairs. Again, like any used place, there is also a ton of crap so you have to look through the place, but the quality for the price makes it worth it. It is amazing what the federal government decommissions based on colour schemes and tastes of various civil servants.

Oh, and if you're looking for a bed, I'd go with the Bay. They have the best return policy. Delivery is $50 within the city.

My last bed delivery story. Went in and chose a mattress at the Bay, came to...hmmm...800 bucks? Original 1800, so figured I got a good deal. However, when it came to delivery the bed came with a stain on it. They are very sticky about the policy that if anything goes wrong, they aren't going to do anything if the bed is stained in any way...so I sent it back. Next one comes, with even MORE stains. I send it back and call in to complain. The THIRD mattress comes and it is actually deformed (one of the bed corners is crushed). I've had it with calling in. I go back to the Bay personally and speak to the manager, explain how I haven't had a mattress in 2 weeks and that I have had to send back multiple mattresses because of damage. The manager agreed that my situation was unacceptable, told me to try out some other mattresses on the floor, and he would sell that one to me for the price I paid originally.

I ended up with a $2500 mattress for $800, and it arrived in perfect condition the first time.

Thumbs up to the Bay for great customer service.

Will you change your user name then to kylazebra?:D

Prob not. I am nothing like a zebra. We just think that zebra stripes go really fittingly on a right-hnd-drive expedition rig.

It will be pretty good advertising for our business too. We're kind of the land cruiser experts of Vancouver Island.

I have this fantasy of making my first impression at med school by driving up in my zebra-rig, getting rock-star parking in front of the building, and my horn playing "La Cucaracha". :P

Working at a repair shop has really opened my eyes. From now on I will base vehicle purchases on the amount of profanity I have heard from the guys while they are working on vehicles. There is definitely a brand hierarchy with cursing.

I will likely never buy a dodge. They are the worst for foul-mouth-ness.

Thumbs up to LostLamb, a fantastic role model as knowledgeable consumer! :P

I believe in getting the most for my money, and fortunately some companies do recognize that the customer will return if they are treated fairly. In no way did I try to trick or misrepresent myself to the Bay. Just gave them the straight goods--the product is damaged and I will not take it that way.

My family has replaced all their mattresses with new ones from the Bay...that's 5 mattresses. It is just common sense that we will go where we have been treated well in the past.

Don't get me started on coupons, sales, points programs...I am a frugal shopping addict. I figure that what I save in this way is money that I can use for other things that don't go on sale (like lululemon exercise pants...)

I am a frugal shopping addict. I figure that what I save in this way is money that I can use for other things that don't go on sale (like lululemon exercise pants...)

Good for you :) and there should be more of us. I go to a no-name store very far from my home where I buy top shoes and boots for next to nothing. They are all piled one on top of the other, never in pairs. So after finding something that I like and fits, I then need to try to find the other shoe or boot somewhere else in the pile; and instead of spending $100, I spend $10. Of course, the money I save I do not have, so it is out of necessity. :) And I learn good spending habits for the future.

I'll try to 'rescue' you soon Caylynn!!:)

I hate my condo gym. Because the place is old and because i don't think any of the other residents (retirees?) have any interest in it, they haven't upgraded the machines since 1969. I can't identify some of the things in there. I mean, a treadmill that doesn't do incline??? hmmmm....can't wait till I am in school and in the school gym. My jigglypuffy body is gonna suffer, though:(

Too bad about the condo gym. :( Our apartment actually has a fairly decent one - for an apartment gym that is. A decent amount of treadmills and other cardio equipment, and some weight training stuff. It will be a nice supplement to the university gym for me and to unit PT and the base gym for my husband.

I can't wait until I'm re-certified to teach group fitness in Canada (I'll be writing the exams in late August) - hopefully I'll be teaching some group fitness classes at the university in the fall. :) It really only pays for itself (music, certification, continuing education, clothes), but I love it and it's a great way to make sure I'm always getting some exercise in.

Archived