Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad and good news today... A family member died at age 53 of a heart attack... this is really shocking to everyone, he was so healthy. And I was just talking yesterday about an 80 year old who I met yesterday who was incredibly healthy. This is so messed up. Why does this happen? Why can a 50 year old die of a heart attack, out of nowhere, while some live much longer? I don't get this, it's really sad.

On the other hand, I got fantastic news about starting another research project after this one is finished. I don't know what to think right now... very shocked, sad, angry... trying to focus on the positive, but I guess it will take some time. Every time I've dealt with death, it seems to strike out of nowhere... life is way too short, nothing is ever going to stop me from making the best of it while I'm here.

I hateeee lifeeeee... gf broke up with me a few weeks ago... And now the semester is getting busy and I can't do anything :( So brutal

Sorry to hear that, hang in there bud. I had a pretty emotional break up at the end of my 1st year (around this time actually). It sucks but you'll have to work even harder to stay focused on school. Don't want to regret letting your hard work go down the drain because of the break up. Finish the year strong and *then* enjoy your summer ;).

Sorry to hear that, hang in there bud. I had a pretty emotional break up at the end of my 1st year (around this time actually). It sucks but you'll have to work even harder to stay focused on school. Don't want to regret letting your hard work go down the drain because of the break up. Finish the year strong and *then* enjoy your summer ;).

Yeah, it's just ridiculous.. Trying to study and it doesn't feel like I even know what I'm reading.. so bummed out.. hopefully this passes.. Worst feeling ever

Thanks though!

Bad and good news today... A family member died at age 53 of a heart attack... this is really shocking to everyone, he was so healthy. And I was just talking yesterday about an 80 year old who I met yesterday who was incredibly healthy. This is so messed up. Why does this happen? Why can a 50 year old die of a heart attack, out of nowhere, while some live much longer? I don't get this, it's really sad.

On the other hand, I got fantastic news about starting another research project after this one is finished. I don't know what to think right now... very shocked, sad, angry... trying to focus on the positive, but I guess it will take some time. Every time I've dealt with death, it seems to strike out of nowhere... life is way too short, nothing is ever going to stop me from making the best of it while I'm here.

Death is hard to deal already. Death of someone far younger than average life expectancy is much harder to stomach. A teammate of mine in high school also ran with a private track club in her down time. Her coach was also quite young (early 50s, I believe) when he died -in the middle of a run - because of heart enlargement related complications.

If life was always fair and predictable, it wouldn't be worth living, right?

Death is hard to deal already. Death of someone far younger than average life expectancy is much harder to stomach. A teammate of mine in high school also ran with a private track club in her down time. Her coach was also quite young (early 50s, I believe) when he died -in the middle of a run - because of heart enlargement related complications.

If life was always fair and predictable, it wouldn't be worth living, right?

Yeah... it is really hard for me to deal with. The other two times I had to deal with it, it was my dog (passed away when she was 7 during the night, perfectly health though) and one of my friends (murdered by her father, it was surreal). Thanks for responding though :) It's something I'm going to have to try and deal with the next little while.

Yeah... it is really hard for me to deal with. The other two times I had to deal with it, it was my dog (passed away when she was 7 during the night, perfectly health though) and one of my friends (murdered by her father, it was surreal). Thanks for responding though :) It's something I'm going to have to try and deal with the next little while.

My advice is to pay the proper respects and not to dwell on it. All 4 of my grandparents died in a more or less two year time frame; so or a while...there seemed to be looking up or things getting any better. I was struck especially hard when my grandfather (who pretty much raised me) passed away due to stage 4 lung cancer ON MY 17th BIRTHDAY (what a nightmare!). I was a wreck for a month and everything suffered - relationships, school, athletic ability and drive... etc.

Don't let that happen to you. And don't be afraid to seek support and find someone to talk to when you're having a bad day. :)

Cerena, you have the right attitude. Live through the feelings and as mm88 said, talk if you need to. You'll see that life will take its course and you'll be back to your excited, postive self soon.

Sincere condolences.

...life is way too short, nothing is ever going to stop me from making the best of it while I'm here.

Thx Karma... I know this wasn't directed at me, but I sure needed to hear it :)

In cases like that I always tell myself that my futur career is more important thant whatever is going on in my life at that moment. You only have so many shots at med school. I know, easier said than done though...

sorry to hear, death is always rough, but it sounds like you have a positive attitude and will be fine!

C2MD and mm88, thanks :) I'm trying not to let it affect me. It will get better, I'm just a person who gets pretty attached to others. Going to spend time with friends tonight. Have some company, and try to focus on positive things.

Let's break the depression of death and break up with something a little more light hearted.

http://sealfit.sitesasrx.net/page/index.php?menu=homepage&page=articles&display=article&hide&id=1676

^T/F? Opinions?

Sorry, but it's not light-hearted to some people. It makes me sad. :(

Not all is true, in any case. I can 'do' my nails with a pocket knife.

But I can't open my own jars. :(

Sorry, but it's not light-hearted to some people. It makes me sad. :(

Not all is true, in any case. I can 'do' my nails with a pocket knife.

But I can't open my own jars. :(

Sorry :(

End of spoon/fork or butter knife under edge of lid, or turn it upside down and smack the bottom a couple of times. Between one of those two methods, I've always gotten my jars open.

Archived