Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

well, i just won the lottery...

to get into The New York Marathon Nov 6, 2011. So, this means I have to pay lots of money to go run around New York City... To further compound matters, if I happen to be lucky enough to get into med school I'll have to work around that.

I think it's doable.

Boston is Mecca

I won the lottery to race in New York, which has a faster qualifying time than Boston for my age group... Which is weird.

Thanks for the well wishes. Real training starts in July, but right now I'll focus on getting into training shape, resolve a couple of injuries and sort out the plan of attack.

Welcome to the world of race lotteries! I'm a vetran of these... I even pulled names out of a hat for races in my elementary age years. :)

You have more than enough time to train, just sort out the injuries (easier said than done) and don't increase distnace more than 10% per week. And run trails. It's good for you. Preferably in Pac Spirit park. :D

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to get into The New York Marathon Nov 6, 2011. So, this means I have to pay lots of money to go run around New York City... To further compound matters, if I happen to be lucky enough to get into med school I'll have to work around that.

I think it's doable.

Congrats! :) I have plenty of friends who have done New York and they say it is just amazing. Enjoy!

I thought the lottery of marathons was Boston? :confused: good luck training :)

Boston has qualifying times - for each gender and age group, you need to run faster than a certain time to qualify to run Boston (Boston also has some charity runners, but the majority get into Boston by running a fast marathon).

Many, many large marathons have lotteries. They have far more people wanting to run these races than their are spots, so they either: a) hold a lottery or B) do a first-come, first-served type of registration. But lotteries are very, very common for a lot of the large marathons.

Many of these races also offer guaranteed spots to "fast" runners, those who have run a marathon in the previous year under a certain time for their gender and age group (similar to Boston). But for the average or mid-pack runner, they have to rely on the luck of the draw to get in.

I’m not down on running as a sport or anything I just suffer from a genuine lack of understanding. If the distance is the same every time, then why are some better than others? Is Boston more hilly, or flat, or is the atmosphere better, better prizes? The best I ever did was a half and that was followed by 2 IVs and three days of complaining, then again I am a Clydesdale. At any rate congratulations and have fun.

It's the atmosphere. Because Boston is full of "fast runners", it's a different feeling. I've heard it described as "I felt like I was at the Olympics". It's the cool factor too. Also, I think that some people just want the jacket. Now that I think about it, a Boston Marathon jacket is kind of the running equivalent of the MDFinancial backpack... "I'm good enough to get in"

It's not just the really exceptional people who can qualify for Boston, but you have to have a certain amount of natural talent to make the qualifying times, IMO.

It's the atmosphere. Because Boston is full of "fast runners", it's a different feeling. I've heard it described as "I felt like I was at the Olympics". It's the cool factor too. Also, I think that some people just want the jacket. Now that I think about it, a Boston Marathon jacket is kind of the running equivalent of the MDFinancial backpack... "I'm good enough to get in"

It's not just the really exceptional people who can qualify for Boston, but you have to have a certain amount of natural talent to make the qualifying times, IMO.

Sorry if this was already addressed, but how does one qualify? not that I'm going to run a marathon or anything; just curious! :)

Sorry if this was already addressed, but how does one qualify? not that I'm going to run a marathon or anything; just curious! :)

You need to run a marathon that meets a standard according to your age and gender. For a female age 18-34 it's a 3:40 marathon, for a male it's 3:10. If you're over age 70 it will go up to 5:00 for women, 4:30 for men. I am not sure how you go about proving this.

http://www.baa.org/Races/Boston-Marathon/Participant-Information/Qualifying.aspx

You need to run a marathon that meets a standard according to your age and gender. For a female age 18-34 it's a 3:40 marathon, for a male it's 3:10. If you're over age 70 it will go up to 5:00 for women, 4:30 for men. I am not sure how you go about proving this.

http://www.baa.org/Races/Boston-Marathon/Participant-Information/Qualifying.aspx

If the marathon you ran posts official times it can be used as a qualifying time no? At least that is my understanding. I think it also has to be a time that is valid for the age group you will be registering in, but I'm not clear on that.

If the marathon you ran posts official times it can be used as a qualifying time no? At least that is my understanding. I think it also has to be a time that is valid for the age group you will be registering in, but I'm not clear on that.

It has to be a fast enough time that it qualifies you for the age group you'll be IN on RACE DAY. But it also has to be within the last xx years or something.

Someday I want to run a marathon with the intenion of racing it, so far, all I've done are "novelty" marathons. May fastest is actually the one I did at the end of Ironman!

Got to heal myself first.

I am considering starting bodybuilding- if I can't run or bike right now, maybe this is the perfect time... it's something I've always wanted to do and it will build up muscle mass that can be used in endurance running later on. Hmm. Got to think about this a little more.

I am considering starting bodybuilding- if I can't run or bike right now, maybe this is the perfect time... it's something I've always wanted to do and it will build up muscle mass that can be used in endurance running later on. Hmm. Got to think about this a little more.

Do it! :) When I strained my left gastroc, the only thing that kept me sane was weight lifting! I love lifting heavy - I feel so strong and powerful. :) But start easy/light if you've never done much weights before, but once you gain experience, don't be afraid to go heavy. Better yet, use periodization, where just like in distance training, you vary what you do. So start with a period of light lifting, move on to medium weights, then to heavy, then go back to light again. Light weights and more reps, medium and medium, and heavy and low reps.

For the lighter weight periods, I also like doing weights as a circuit, so you end up getting some cardio benefit as well (without doing cardio) since you are moving quickly from one exercise to another with no real break in between, and only a short break between circuits. When I injured my calf and couldn't do much lower body stuff, I still had an amazing workout just with upper body and core stability stuff.

You probably already know a lot of this stuff, but hey, you got me started on a topic that I love. :) I'm a certified group fitness and stability ball instructor, and if I wasn't going into medicine, I would definitely be doing something in the fitness sector, if possible.

Wow that was quick! What did you get? I iz curiouz

I went for the HP touchsmart tm2. The newer models (this one was a 2010 model) are way better than the older ones. Light, chic, the screen flips with ease... And I'm really, really loving it! It is perfect! And, we end up getting it for $400 off the regular price O.o I know what you mean know about having a tablet computer... I am NEVER going to go back to a regular PC. lol EVER. Especially after buying this one. I'm happy :D

So, successful in completing almost everything so far! :D

One essay left (the longest one). Due at 11:59pm today (haven't started it yet)... So almost 3 hours (although I'd like to be done in 2). 1500-2000 words (or 5-8 pages). Definitely doable. I hope.

Hmm... considering everything is going ok... I have a feeling that this will not teach me my "never procrastinate again" lesson.....:o

So, successful in completing almost everything so far! :D

One essay left (the longest one). Due at 11:59pm today (haven't started it yet)... So almost 3 hours (although I'd like to be done in 2). 1500-2000 words (or 5-8 pages). Definitely doable. I hope.

Hmm... considering everything is going ok... I have a feeling that this will not teach me my "never procrastinate again" lesson.....:o

Good luck! When I read 11:59 I was like "GASP", but then I realized I'm 3 hrs ahead.

Good luck! When I read 11:59 I was like "GASP"' date=' but then I realized I'm 3 hrs ahead.[/quote']

Thanks! I just finished and submitted! :D half an hour early! See, I'm not a TRUE procrastinator... if I was I would have submitted at 11:59 or 11:58 (just to be safe;)).

I just realized I've had 3 hours of sleep in the past 40 hours..... And I'm not tired. Awesome:rolleyes:

Goal for tomorrow: Sleep and become and informed voter for Monday. Pretty sure I know who I'm voting for, but I just want to make sure.....

Not that it matters.... If a toupee with a fake nose/moustache/eye glasses ran in this province as a Conservative, they would win by a landslide......

I wish I were kidding......

On Thursday night I made walmart change their prices for me. Ten cent easter candy cannot be beat.

I just needed to share this.:D :D

(and apparently, i am the best student teacher ever...lol)

Nice. I got mini eggs for 20 cents and I thought I did well.

Archived