Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Disagree. 9am class and it's 9`C outside -.-"

LOL! The temperature is so nice! I'm so surprised that there hasn't been a frost warning yet.... and it's OCTOBER! :D I love this weather!

You crazy Torontonians :P

Looking forward to the weekend!!!

EDIT: Leon, you need to spend a month in Edmonton between October and May..... You'll begin to really appreciate this weather;)

i was walking to my car from the library last night and there was frost on my windshield :( ... plus the oilers blew the lead with half a second left :(, o well, at least they're in contention every game, they just need the experience to finnish, i think they have a legitimate shot at an outside playoff spot this year khabibulin and dubnyk both look sharp and nugent-hopkins is definitely a keeper, the oilers are going to be an incredibly scary team a year or two from now...

anyhoo, i digress, 8 am class, serious? i hope it's a mandatory class and the only one available otherwise i'm gonna have to ***** slap you side the head, lol, jk...

8am class and it's -1 outside.

i don't really like the taurine in energy drinks besides red bull, the rest of them give me hardcore headaches, i wish you could get a taurine free version... paradoxically a lot of studies have shown that taurine prevents nmda excitotoxicity as it's an antagonist and has an array of positive effects on the body, but everytime i have an energy drink besides red bull i just get a headache and feel spaced out... which is totally weird cause i can drink like 7 coffees a day and feel fine

caffeine pills cause vasoconstriction and increase bp in the brain as well as an increase in dopamine transmission via the inhibition of the adenosine receptor, but it really won't help you concentrate better, it will keep you awake, and slightly increase your focus, but not for sustained periods of time, you're not really getting that prefrontal stimulation, plus caffeine withdrawal is the worst thing ever!!!!!!!!!! like for real, i've been trying to quit drinking coffee for 6 years and i finally quit trying to quit, id need to take a 1 month vacation from life to quit drinking coffee, im just content to get down to a couple cups a day now, lol.

i really like those 5 hour energy things, especially if you don't want to down a whole coffee or energy drink, they're remarkably effective if you need to make a late night drive on the highway or something, i was pretty shocked at how well they worked.

i wouldn't recommend people take something like dexedrine on a public forum, i'm on a.d.d. meds again... but i got an 8 hour neuropsych assessment, have had an ekg, eeg, mri, had sleep apnea ruled out, got checked out for any arrhythmias, thyroid problems and god knows what else... prob 30 hours of medical, psychiatric and neuropsych evaluations, if you're going to take something like dexedrine it should really be under the supervision of a doctor... there's a lot of potential side effects: tachycardia, aggression, anhedonia, increased bp, decrease in bone density, insomnia and in people who have a propensity for mania or schizophrenia this can be a major trigger... not trying to be a ****, but dexedrine is schedule II for a reason and people really should be monitored while they're on it

on an aside, there's a new drug out called lisdexamfetamine (vyanase)... it's a prodrug of dexedrine bound to lysine so it is a steady release over 12 hours (it's a prodrug that has the lysine cleaved off gradually over a 12 hour period). besides appetite suppression, there's literally no side effects that i've noticed, which is a first for any adhd med ever... hopefully they keep giving out vouchers for free samples, i really doubt my insurance covers such luxurious (and expensive) medication.

I love red bull. I'd drink it if it didn't have any caffein.

You might like those 5 hour energy things.. or a stimulant like dexedrine.

Or how about just caffein pills?

LOL! The temperature is so nice! I'm so surprised that there hasn't been a frost warning yet.... and it's OCTOBER! :D I love this weather!

EDIT: Leon, you need to spend a month in Edmonton between October and May..... You'll begin to really appreciate this weather;)

Yeah! Well I'm in BC but it's -1 here.

No frost warning?

Lucky ducks.

Any advice on nootropics that actually work? :)

i don't really like the taurine in energy drinks besides red bull, the rest of them give me hardcore headaches, i wish you could get a taurine free version... paradoxically a lot of studies have shown that taurine prevents nmda excitotoxicity as it's an antagonist and has an array of positive effects on the body, but everytime i have an energy drink besides red bull i just get a headache and feel spaced out... which is totally weird cause i can drink like 7 coffees a day and feel fine

caffeine pills cause vasoconstriction and increase bp in the brain as well as an increase in dopamine transmission via the inhibition of the adenosine receptor, but it really won't help you concentrate better, it will keep you awake, and slightly increase your focus, but not for sustained periods of time, you're not really getting that prefrontal stimulation, plus caffeine withdrawal is the worst thing ever!!!!!!!!!! like for real, i've been trying to quit drinking coffee for 6 years and i finally quit trying to quit, id need to take a 1 month vacation from life to quit drinking coffee, im just content to get down to a couple cups a day now, lol.

i really like those 5 hour energy things, especially if you don't want to down a whole coffee or energy drink, they're remarkably effective if you need to make a late night drive on the highway or something, i was pretty shocked at how well they worked.

i wouldn't recommend people take something like dexedrine on a public forum, i'm on a.d.d. meds again... but i got an 8 hour neuropsych assessment, have had an ekg, eeg, mri, had sleep apnea ruled out, got checked out for any arrhythmias, thyroid problems and god knows what else... prob 30 hours of medical, psychiatric and neuropsych evaluations, if you're going to take something like dexedrine it should really be under the supervision of a doctor... there's a lot of potential side effects: tachycardia, aggression, anhedonia, increased bp, decrease in bone density, insomnia and in people who have a propensity for mania or schizophrenia this can be a major trigger... not trying to be a ****, but dexedrine is schedule II for a reason and people really should be monitored while they're on it

on an aside, there's a new drug out called lisdexamfetamine (vyanase)... it's a prodrug of dexedrine bound to lysine so it is a steady release over 12 hours (it's a prodrug that has the lysine cleaved off gradually over a 12 hour period). besides appetite suppression, there's literally no side effects that i've noticed, which is a first for any adhd med ever... hopefully they keep giving out vouchers for free samples, i really doubt my insurance covers such luxurious (and expensive) medication.

YES! I killed Anatomy yesterday. So happy exams are over for the week :).

Finally a chance to catch up on sleep and take a breather !!

Enjoy!! I'm pretty sure I did well in anatomy too, and I'm happy with my cell bio grade. But I have tons of work to do today and this weekend before studying for my last midterm next Friday.

I think crammimg seems to work? Spent 2 days cramming for an exam material that i literally hadnt looked at since school started (bad i know, got off track with other courses prior to midterms and that one took the hit) and if end up with less than a 95 i'd be shocked.

Although it did seem like easy questions but a LOT of info to try and retain so who knows if cramming actually worked or i just got lucky with an easy'ish test despite the information overload. Meh :confused:

i was walking to my car from the library last night and there was frost on my windshield :( ... plus the oilers blew the lead with half a second left :(, o well, at least they're in contention every game, they just need the experience to finnish, i think they have a legitimate shot at an outside playoff spot this year khabibulin and dubnyk both look sharp and nugent-hopkins is definitely a keeper, the oilers are going to be an incredibly scary team a year or two from now...

anyhoo, i digress, 8 am class, serious? i hope it's a mandatory class and the only one available otherwise i'm gonna have to ***** slap you side the head, lol, jk...

It is mandatory and the only one available. I tried to have all afternoon classes, but my cores were all early morning.. at least I'm done school at 1pm monday and friday

8am class and it's -1 outside.

hahahah well I'm from the tropics and am used to 24/7 365/year 30`C summer weather. After all it's only my third winter here :P

Today's pretty good though. I think it was just my house that was really cold the moment I woke- it was nice outside.

i do actually, i'm really interested in cognitive enhancement.

most of the stuff posted before work as cognitive enhancers, but you become habituated or they have adverse effects that take them out of the nootropic class.

piracetam, l-theanine, aniracetam, vinoceptine, huperzin a, phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidylserine, s-adenosyl-methionine (SAM-E), magnesium, memantine (prescription), galantamine (the delivery system is patented and used for people with alzheimers but you can get galantamine as nutritional supplement from specialized nutrition stores) are a few that come to mind off the top of my head... a really promising one for people who have to take benzodiazepines for whatever reason or for people who want to improve their memory is a5Ia (alpha 5 inverse agonist)... memantine has also shown neuro-protective properties, but currently doesn't have that indications, it's often prescribed by sharper psychiatrists to prevent habituation to amphetamines or to protect against glutamate excitotoxicity, although it's extremely expensive

inositol powder and n-acetyl cysteine are also fantastic for depression and ocd like disorders (inositol will make you cheerier even if you're already happy, and everything will look way brighter and clearer)

keep in mind if you buy most of these you want to make sure you're getting pharmaceutical grade supplements

as usual, don't try and of the above without consulting your physician, this is not to be construed as medical advice :)

Any advice on nootropics that actually work? :)

Congrats :)

Tanks ! :)

Awesome! Paid or volunteer?

And what kind of research? Something you're interested in?

Good job!!

Volunteer (for now, hopefully. I didn't want to ask to be an assistant just yet because this is my first time and I have no idea what I'm doing.)

And it's a kine prof so yeah I'm very interested! :)

and Thanks alot!! I'm excited.

nice job, volunteering is good, you'll get a feel for the lab and pick up some skills for when your working on a project down the road

Volunteer (for now, hopefully. I didn't want to ask to be an assistant just yet because this is my first time and I have no idea what I'm doing.)

And it's a kine prof so yeah I'm very interested! :)

and Thanks alot!! I'm excited.

Archived