Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ortho wants to schedule knee surgery Dec 6th - 2 daya before the start of exams :(

Dunno what to do

Your convenience and future is far more important than what is convenient to the surgeon. Try to shcedule it for the day following completion of exams or as soon as possible thereafter. Generally, there is a long and painful rehab period.

I definitely advise to wait until after exams.

Would it be too big of an issue to wait till after exams?

That sucks. My cardiologist wanted me to try new medication but I explained to him that I don't want to have any adverse affects during the school year so we put if off until April. Obviously this is not the same issue as surgery' date=' hopefully you can work something out with your doc... if not maybe with the university.

Good luck.:)

ABS[/quote']

Your convenience and future is far more important than what is convenient to the surgeon. Try to shcedule it for the day following completion of exams or as soon as possible thereafter. Generally, there is a long and painful rehab period.

I definitely advise to wait until after exams.

First, thanks guys for your feedback. Greatly appreciated!

I also have the option of moving it to sometime in mid-January but my problem them is that I'd be in the middle of classes and either need to find someone to take notes for me or hope the professors can help me with information so that I can keep ahead of the curve while at home recovering.

I don't think recovery for THIS one will be too bad. It's just a scope (on both knees) for now. MRI's weren't as conclusive as we had hoped so his option is to clean them out with a scope and take a look around to see what or if any further damage there is and then use that to decide future courses of action if needs me. He has said 2 weeks before I am easily mobile but I'd hpe for earlier.

I have one prof so far that would let me defer if I need to. Just working on the other profs to find out what they'll allow. If people can defer exams before a Dr said they were sick SURELY the fact someone having surgery is a deferable reason over that of someone being sick. Who knows.

I'll await the professor responses before making a final decision. Ortho gave me until next Wednesday to decide.

Ugh

Oh, and ABS: sorry for the health issues you are going through. That *really* sucks and is hugely scary I bet :(

Is it feasible to explore the possibility of writing before the presently scheduled date of surgery?

That may be an option, though would put me under considerable stress since classes end on the 6th and prep time would be, well, non-existent.

Still waiting to hear back from profs. Exam schedule was just posted. I have one on the 10th and 14th with the rest on the 17th (2) and 19th (1). I could probably handle the 3 later ones but can imagine being able to do the early ones so maybe I can make arrangements to write from the 17th to 22nd instead of a complete deferral to January.

We shall see what professors say :)

Thanks for your input!

Your idea of seeking to write between 17th-22nd is brilliant! If it does not work, better to write immediately after last lecture (where you can build up/plan for exam and last knowledge will be very fresh) and start the winter semester running w/o baggage as opposed to being forced to retain/remember for exam purposes this knowledge for Jan deferred exam while seeking current in new courses. I have every confidence you will negotiate that which is possible in your best interests. :P Self-interest has a way of motivating us all to even accomplish the impossible occasionally. :) Good luck!

Just got back from my second shift at my new job. I'm working at a drop-in centre for at-risk youth. Totally out of my comfort zone and different for me, but I can see, after today, how rewarding it can be.

Helping the at-risk youth while gaining in growth and making yourself a stronger candidate - win-win-win! :P Keep up the good work. :)

In such a discouraged and sad mood, haven't been able to study for my midterm all day which is on monday because of my below-par mark on phys midterm.

I know I did well on the two other midterms I wrote but this really is just sucking all hope outta me. Especially when your other keener friends are all doing so well.

Uggggggh. :(

In such a discouraged and sad mood, haven't been able to study for my midterm all day which is on monday because of my below-par mark on phys midterm.

I know I did well on the two other midterms I wrote but this really is just sucking all hope outta me. Especially when your other keener friends are all doing so well.

Uggggggh. :(

School is an individual activity. Wallowing won't do you any good. You know what you're capable of so just buckle down and do it and forget about thes keener friends. :)

Correct. You only compete against yourself - to be the best you can be! Others are totally irrelevant to your success, to your future. You have made the purposeful decision to harm yourself and you will be responsible and accountable to yourself. It is easy to study when you are motivated. You need to become self-motivated and keep your eye on the goal as your motivation. Otherwise, you are inflicting self-harm and taking yourself out of the game. Discouragement is temporary but GPA is forever. So turn yourself around now and do what you have to!

Correct. You only compete against yourself - to be the best you can be! Others are totally irrelevant to your success, to your future. You have made the purposeful decision to harm yourself and you will be responsible and accountable to yourself. It is easy to study when you are motivated. You need to become self-motivated and keep your eye on the goal as your motivation. Otherwise, you are inflicting self-harm and taking yourself out of the game. Discouragement is temporary but GPA is forever. So turn yourself around now and do what you have to!

This is all true. I just seemed to have lost faith in myself! I'll push through though.

The test of character is to fight the fight when down and discouraged. I have been in your shoes. I lost self-confidence with a really poor MCAT score despite having worked hard preparing all summer. :mad: I had no choice but to shake it off and continue to work as hard as possible, otherwise my discouragement would have become a self-fulfilling prophesy turning into as downward spiral. Life does not work always the way be wish or plan. Things happen. We must adjust and move forward as best we can. Many of us have been in your shoes. Just shake it off, focus and do what you must!

Archived