Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

Bike. That's about the only thing that doesn't really need arms. Even on the elliptical I found there was too much jostling!

I think I'll be ok on the elliptical.. my shoulder doesn't really hurt (it's my biceps I have to protect and it's now attached to my humerus!) so a little jostling shouldn't hurt but I'll see! I hate biking indoors :/ I'll bring my notes to read anyways just in case.

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I'll be ok on the elliptical.. my shoulder doesn't really hurt (it's my biceps I have to protect and it's now attached to my humerus!) so a little jostling shouldn't hurt but I'll see! I hate biking indoors :/ I'll bring my notes to read anyways just in case.

What do you mean by this?

What do you mean by this?

Normally the long biceps tendon is attached to the labrum inside the shoulder capsule. Since last year I had a massive labral tear repaired and that I somehow re-tore part of it, instead of attempting to repair a 2nd time my surgeon just cut the tendon and instead attached it to the head of the humerus (tenodesis). This way it will never again pull on my labrum and the tear won't cause me problems. With time the muscle should be as strong as it was.

Normally the long biceps tendon is attached to the labrum inside the shoulder capsule. Since last year I had a massive labral tear repaired and that I somehow re-tore part of it, instead of attempting to repair a 2nd time my surgeon just cut the tendon and instead attached it to the head of the humerus (tenodesis). This way it will never again pull on my labrum and the tear won't cause me problems. With time the muscle should be as strong as it was.

Oh, that's really cool (about the procedure), I never knew they could do that.

Will this cause your short biceps tendon to be under more stress during shoulder flexion and cause slight adduction?

Oh, that's really cool (about the procedure), I never knew they could do that.

Will this cause your short biceps tendon to be under more stress during shoulder flexion and cause slight adduction?

It shouldn't. I think the alignment stays the same, but you do lose a bit of stability which is a little tricky in my case since my joints are hyperlax - I'll have to compensate but it beats a 60% or so success rate on the 2nd try! Many surgeons do a tenodesis right away with tears like mine today.

It shouldn't. I think the alignment stays the same, but you do lose a bit of stability which is a little tricky in my case since my joints are hyperlax - I'll have to compensate but it beats a 60% or so success rate on the 2nd try! Many surgeons do a tenodesis right away with tears like mine today.

Hope you have a speedy recovery :)

Mith! What did you do?!
Was arm wrestling a friend. I was in an awkward position so when I pushed back it caused a lot of torque on my humerus and I heard a loud pop and my right arm went dead on the table. I'm in a cast and sling right now, but I can't move my right arm at all and I need to sleep sitting up. Sort of sucks with med school and all that...

Follow-up appointment on Tuesday to see when I can return to school.

Was arm wrestling a friend. I was in an awkward position so when I pushed back it caused a lot of torque on my humerus and I heard a loud pop and my right arm went dead on the table. I'm in a cast and sling right now, but I can't move my right arm at all and I need to sleep sitting up. Sort of sucks with med school and all that...

Ouch! Mithril! That's crazy man. :(

I'm so thankful this week is over (aside from the weekend). I feel utterly exhausted.... At least I know my code works for one activity of daily living and I can analyze is properly tomorrow and run stats. Just in time for proposal on Monday!

Yikes!! I can't believe you got that from arm wrestling! Welcome to the sling world... though I'll say you do get used to sleeping sitting up/inclined. I'm gonna guess you're right-handed? :(

Yeah, I'm right-handed. :( And apparently a spiral fracture of the humerus is a pretty common injury from arm wrestling according to my orthopedist.

http://www.discussbodybuilding.com/Humerus-fracture-recovery-m137944.aspx

Still, looking at anywhere from 4-8 weeks in a sling, sigh. Good thing I don't have exams till May. I need advice on how to sleep sitting up/inclined.

That's happened to me too.. but due to a completely different event

Archived