Premed 101 Forums

Alberta Resident Status

Well, if you were a grad student in a lab in Alberta, that serves as pretty good evidence of you being in AB...lol.

haha don't laugh, I'm confused because the conditions that consider you Alberta resident status are:

-living in Alberta for 12 months

-being a student in Alberta for 2 years.

...so I'm not sure how you could be a student in Alberta for a year but not live there.

I guess however you could be there for 9 months and go home for the summer...

haha don't laugh, I'm confused because the conditions that consider you Alberta resident status are:

-living in Alberta for 12 months

-being a student in Alberta for 2 years.

...so I'm not sure how you could be a student in Alberta for a year but not live there.

I guess however you could be there for 9 months and go home for the summer...

Hm, sounds different from what I had seen when I last looked at it (a good 2 years ago, if not more), I don't recall any sort of distinction between the student vs. non-student status, it was 12 months either way, IIRC.

Sounds like you should ask them directly to clarify.

I don't know about Alberta but I know to get Quebec residency, you have to have lived in Quebec for 12 months as a PART TIME student or less......meaning that if you are a full time student and lived in Quebec for 4 years, that doesn't count.

So maybe in Alberta it's that if you are a full time student, you have to have lived in Alberta for 2 years, but if you are just there working, then it's 12 months? Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on your permanent residence.

If you pay vehicle insurance in xprovince, pay taxes in x province, etc. you are resident of your x province. Just look at the province on your driver's license or license plate on your vehicle and that will tell you whether you are a resident of the province or a student studying that province.

The above is unofficial but is correct as far as I am aware.

It depends on your permanent residence.

If you pay vehicle insurance in xprovince, pay taxes in x province, etc. you are resident of your x province. Just look at the province on your driver's license or license plate on your vehicle and that will tell you whether you are a resident of the province or a student studying that province.

The above is unofficial but is correct as far as I am aware.

That's completely incorrect for admissions purposes, sorry. Every school has different standards.

Archived