Premed 101 Forums

U of O - French required?

Just wondering if anyone has any comments/experience regarding:

Whether University of Ottawa unofficially or officially prefers candidates with ability to speak French, in terms of residency programs...?

Not that I'm aware of. Check the CaRMS site for further reference.

There is no prefrence for French speaking applicants. It may give you a very small plus....but isn't going to be the thing that gets you in (likewise it won't be the thing that keeps you out). Alot of residents don't speak French at all.

Of course if you want to do family medicine at Montfort, then you would need to speak French. I believe this year they have started an internal medicine program at Montfort as well. And I have heard talk that they would like to start an obsgyn program - but not sure that is gonna happen anytime soon.

Almost all of the residents speaks English.. Since most of the patient in Ottawa hospital speaks both of the languages. Also, there are so many French classes offered by the school and Ottawa hospital. You can always learn a bit of French if you are really a keener. Knowing French has a bit more advantage in the entry level to the medical program rather than to the residency program.

Hope that helps

Sara Kj

Meds2010, U of O

Archived