Premed 101 Forums

Do you think the GPA cutoff will increase next year?

Do you think the GPA cutoff will increase?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think the GPA cutoff will increase?

• No, it will stay the same (3.75).
    • Yes, it will increase for the 2009 cycle.
    • No, it will decrease.

As we all know, the cutoff for Western jumped up 0.05 last year. Do you guys think it will go up again this year? The reason why I'm asking is that even though my best year is well above it, my second best year is exactly 3.75, so I'm trying to decide whether or not I should do another year of undergrad...in case it jumps up another 0.05 again. My worst fear is that it will jump up to 3.80 and so my 2nd best year will no longer meet the cutoffs. So what do you all predict is going to happen this year, and any suggestions on what I should do?

I think it really depends on the GPAs of the applicants. Based on conversations I was having in the interview waiting rooms, it seemed a fair number were there on a conditional basis (i.e. only one year qualifies and 4th year counts). So based on that I would say no it won't go up? Maybe they'll change the MCAT, raise the Physics to a 10 or something.

I would be shocked if they went up again, given that 3.70 was a very stable cut-off that just changed this year. Since they tend to move in 0.05 increments, going from 3.70 -> 3.80 in a span of two years would be gigantic, even compared to other schools' changes.

I don't think the 30 MCAT cutoff will be increased, since the MCAT is graded based on the distribution of people who took the exam. Therefore, the same number of people will get 30 or greater for every administration of the exam.

You know i have never look actually, but has the number of people applying been increasing each year? If there is more then there I guess wouldn't be the same number applying.

I guess also with the ability to retake the test to death is also possible the mean mcat score is also going up :)

You know i have never look actually, but has the number of people applying been increasing each year? If there is more then there I guess wouldn't be the same number applying.

I guess also with the ability to retake the test to death is also possible the mean mcat score is also going up :)

I've been watching for couple years now, and yes, an increase in OMSAS applications each year. Can't remember how much or many, b/c I wiped my computer a couple times since then and deleted the OMSAS pdfs. :rolleyes:

I say that because due to the financial crisis and just due to the law of med school applications, the number of applications will increase more for meds.

The financial crisis has at least made people more mindful of job security. Obviously, we won't see a drastic increase in applications right away because you can't just apply to meds and hope to be competitive in the short run (you need prereqs, need MCAT knowledge to get a good score, you need clinical volunteering which you may not have if you got into commerce, etc), but all variables are flexible in the long run.

And no, I don't believe that the financial crisis led to an increase in applications. To those that believe it consider that the "official date" for all of this was somewhere in early october, whereas OMSAS applications were due the 1st of october. In addition, you can't say hey I am going to apply to meds and do so right away - See reasons above.

Guest mk08

In an email:

Hello ******,

The GPA and MCAT minimums are based on the quality of the applicant pool so there is no way to predict what the minimum will be.

If the minimum is 3.8 and your best year is 3.78 we would not be able to consider your application.

MK

IM SHHHHCAAAAARRRREEDDDDD cause one of my years will be 3.78 @!#!@

And how is Queens able to squeeze out nearly twice as many people to interview with a similar GPA and MCAT cutoff?

In an email:

Hello ******,

The GPA and MCAT minimums are based on the quality of the applicant pool so there is no way to predict what the minimum will be.

If the minimum is 3.8 and your best year is 3.78 we would not be able to consider your application.

MK

IM SHHHHCAAAAARRRREEDDDDD cause one of my years will be 3.78 @!#!@

And how is Queens able to squeeze out nearly twice as many people to interview with a similar GPA and MCAT cutoff?

lol that's great how you actually emailed them about it. I'm scared too, but as other people said it was steady at 3.70 for many many years before the sudden increase, so it seems more probable that it'll remain at 3.75 for a little while before it increases again. But anything is possible with med school admissions!... and if for some reason the applicant pool quality does increase, I hope they raise the MCAT instead of the GPA(perhaps the PS like someone else mentioned)!

I think Queen's interviewed more people because their cutoffs are slightly more flexible. They look at either the overall GPA or the last two years GPA, and it's probably easier to meet the 3.75 requirements when two years are averaged together rather than each year being above the cutoff. And not only does Queen's interview more people, they also don't give out conditional offers. I wonder if Western sets a maximum number of conditional offers when determining the cutoffs... it'd be a little risky to just assume that everyone's going to meet the cutoffs with their current year.

Sorry I know this more geared towards Queens rather than Western, But Im going into 3rd year at Western next year and finished with only like 3.68 in my second year...so in order to qualify for Queens 2 year GPA (and assuming I will have to use my 3rd and 4th year GPA to be competitive and meet cutoffs) will I have to wait till I finish 4th year before applying?......thank god for Western conditional offers otherwise lol

The cutoffs are averages at Queen's, as opposed to discrete like at Western.

and as someone mentioned Queens will take the average of your two last years, which is more flexible in many ways than westerns rigid 2 years must be over 3.75 policy.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that the GPA requirements would go up in 0.05 increments just for simplicity sake. But I don't think it will go up since there is so much discrepancy in grades between specific classes, programs and schools. I wouldn't want to deny a student that challenged themselves academically and ended up with a 3.75 meanwhile accepting students that coasted through easy programs with a 3.9.

If anything is going up, it's the MCAT requirement. As has previously been mentioned, more opportunities to write the MCAT means a better chance of getting a high score.

My 9 in physical just isn't going to cut it for much longer so if Dal doesn't pan out (waitlisted at Western), I will have to re-write.

I believe someone was wondering whether a 5th year was a good idea. I have to say it is a fantastic idea. I did it, took courses I wanted to take rather than ones mandated by my curriculum, and my GPA has sky-rocketed. Unfortunately it doesn't matter for this application session, but at least I now know that my grades will never be the limiting factor in my application.

Archived