Premed 101 Forums

dr. regret?

I'm pretty unwavering in my drive and decision to do medicine, but has anyone encountered many doctors who say they regret their decision?

I have one friend in med school who recently uttered "I don't think anyone should want to do this", a comment that I attributed to burnout and reasoned would subside once she was an established MD.

Yet today I went to see my doctor, and when I asked her if she enjoyed her time in med school, she replied that given her time back, she wouldn't do it again. Which was shocking because she's a great doctor, really thorough and caring, and seems really happy. She's my major role model, but apparently she feels that the work, the hours, the lifestyle and the bureaucracy just aren't worth it.

Thoughts?

________

Chevrolet C/K specifications

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty unwavering in my drive and decision to do medicine, but has anyone encountered many doctors who say they regret their decision?

I have one friend in med school who recently uttered "I don't think anyone should want to do this", a comment that I attributed to burnout and reasoned would subside once she was an established MD.

Yet today I went to see my doctor, and when I asked her if she enjoyed her time in med school, she replied that given her time back, she wouldn't do it again. Which was shocking because she's a great doctor, really thorough and caring, and seems really happy. She's my major role model, but apparently she feels that the work, the hours, the lifestyle and the bureaucracy just aren't worth it.

Thoughts?

maybe she is toooo caring to want the same for others lol

This is a really good point. I think a lot of people go into medicine just because they don't really know what other options there are available in life. They're like "Well, I'm smart, I have a high GPA, I like science, I like people....being a doctor sounds like a pretty stable job and pays decently....sounds good to me!"

But in reality, there is so much more to it that we don't realize (and I'm not going to even pretend that I understand what it's like since I'm not there yet....I've just heard a lot of stories from people that are currently in med school or residency....like working 31 hour shifts with no breaks etc.). I wish people had more exposure to career information so that they don't pick medicine for the "wrong" reasons (and we could argue what those are, just like we could argue what the "right" reasons are). But at the end of the day, I think premeds should be better exposed to what being a doctor actually entails so that we don't get so many people in 4th year med being like "Sh!t....I didn't know it was going to be this hard....."

Guest Shim

You got to be sure to be at peace with yourself before starting medical school. The problem is most people urge to do it because they got the stats, and the system works that way.

If you got no social pressure, you feel patient and devoted to your work, you really enjoy the profession, you have a good self-esteem and you feel like you're not missing anything important to you, there is NO reason why medical school wouldn't worth it.

Maybe your doctor would have enjoyed some aspects of her life she couldn't do because of the profession. That's why I say it's important to know yourself before you do it.

Fearing the work load is irrational if you really know who you are and what you want.

Working the 36 hour shift and 2 weekends a month sounds super fun and it looks amazing when Zach Braff does it. And when he gets yelled at it's kinda funny. And he never really does much paper work. And his hair is always so stellar!

the tough part is the drive home

I'd just sleep in the call rooms. You might as well live in the hospital if you have a rough week. I'm a hobo though so any shelter would do =). I used to stay 12 hours at the consulting gig because I found it pointless to go home to enjoy 4 hours of consciousness then go to sleep only to waste another hour getting to work.

Heh my GP (since birth) tells me not to do medicine, he said all I'd be stuck with is patients that don't listen, tons of paperwork/bureaucracy, and long ass hours. He said I should do something bigger/more global in business and integration of industries and services. My profs said the exact same thing.

I think it depends on your motivation. Many doctors regret going to medical school. Like all other jobs, there are good aspects and bad ones and many people are unsatisfied with it.

You probably already considered the good aspects of medicine. Here's what I would ask myself before choosing medical school (it's just a paste from the previoulsy posted blog, but still) : Even while hopelessly sleep deprived, even when everyone around you seems to only be able to talk about all that’s wrong with doctors, even when the attending is yelling at you and you’ve never felt less competent, even when a patient dies and maybe you could have prevented it but didn’t, and even when you have to miss a good friend’s wedding and your parent’s anniversary or your child’s birthday because you’re scheduled to work, even then is that what you want to be doing with your life? If not, you probably won’t enjoy it, because all these things are bound to happen (IMO). If you say yes and you think you'll like the profession in spite of that, then I think it's worth a try.

Thoughts?

I didn't bother reading other people's crap on here, so I'll just post my opinion/ thoughts.

If you want to be an MD, you have to know you want it and that's that. There are no alternatives, and that's my perspective on it. You can't decide one day that you're going to change your mind just because your grades drop in school - you got to stick with it or else you'll never make it. It takes quite a lot of determination/ motivation and much much more. More importantly, you have to love it.

Medicine is either a hate it or love it type of thing.

Also, you can't have the thought of, "Am I going to regret this later on?" Because if you do, chances are, you will and are wasting time.

Edit: Read Julie's post, pretty much nailed it on the head.

Also, you can't have the thought of, "Am I going to regret this later on?" Because if you do, chances are, you will and are wasting time.

I disagree. If you never even consider the fact that there are negatives and that there IS a chance you might be disappointed, you are probably gonna end up being one of those people who tell everyone not to go into medicine. An overly idealistic approach sets one up for major disappointment. I think every premed must ask himself or herself that question.

If the idea of practicing medicine appeals to you for any number of reasons (these vary person to person), I think it can be rewarding, fulfilling, and a choice you will never regret. There's one HUGE disclaimer, though:

You have to find the right specialty!!

I was discussing this at a mentorship dinner the other night (where an attending takes out med students of varying years for us to share and discuss their experiences). One of the things I've noticed is that different specialties often have different personality types associated with them - and I think that's the key to finding happiness and balance in your life as a doctor. You have to find what works with your personality.

For example, the best/happiest nephrologists I've met are very patient people who enjoy numbers (getting them, changing them, making decisions based on them). Anesthesiologists are laid back and often have significant interests outside of medicine (e.g. marathoners, musicians, 'hands-on' parents). Family docs generally enjoy being permanent fixtures in their patients' lives, and the close relationship with their patients is rewarding enough for them that they don't mind the endless hours of paperwork compared to certain other specialties. Pathologists don't rely on patient contact as the source of their fulfillment at work, etc.

These are generalizations, of course, and there is always a range of personalities in each specialty. However, the people who are happiest in their jobs often fit quite a specific profile in each specialty. So, if you hate paperwork and want to be home at 5 o'clock sharp without any patients to worry about, Internal or Family probably aren't going to make you very happy, but there are plenty of other specialties that will.

Canadian med schools are pretty much all pass/fail, so grades aren't going to matter either, no?

p.s. Thanks for the great post Mbene. Man do I ever wish I could sit in on a mentorship dinner or two BEFORE I have to (hopefully) choose between a 3 year or 4 year program.

So, if you hate paperwork and want to be home at 5 o'clock sharp without any patients to worry about, Internal or Family probably aren't going to make you very happy, but there are plenty of other specialties that will.

Cue cosmetic dermatology....

Lol.... I'm not even going to see patients.... I plan on developing an inexpensive miracle acne cure which I will market Canada wide via cheesy infomercials and b-list Canadian celebrities.

Jokes aside, thanks for the great post mbene....

While one may be ignorant going into medicine expecting an easy workload and lots of perks..... there's also something to be said about the "you must enjoy 100 hour work weeks and neglecting your family and friends or else" philosophy.

Be prepared to work hard, but as mbene pointed out.... choose an area of medicine that suits your life and your goals..... I've met many physicians in very different areas that are very happy and active outside of medicine as well.....

lol ok so what's the deal

how are people differentiated when applying for residencies

Somewhere in the UofT forum in a thread about why UofT is changing from H/P/F to P/F there is a link to a presentation with a super monotone voice explaining the switch and it takes a look of what residency directors ranked most important...

Interview generally the highest if I recall correctly....

Then things like demonstrating interest/competency in the area, done by taking relevant clerkship electives, and doing research in that area.

Then things like grades/reference letters contribute as well.

yeah i actually posted extensively in that thread lol, because i still don't understand how that's enough to differentiate people. you have hundreds of applicants applying for a few spots in a given program at a certain university, how the hell do you even pick who to interview if all the factors are qualitative?

btw i still didn't get an answer in that thread about this lol

lol ok so what's the deal

how are people differentiated when applying for residencies

thats the million dollar question.

candidates are differentiated based on: doing electives at the school and in the program you're interested in, extracurriculars, research, publications, reference letters, personal statements. a big factor is if the staff/residents like you because they have to work with you for the next 2-5 years. you can be the best candidate on paper, but chances are, if they dont like you then you wont get that residency.

i've also heard from a physician that references can be quite influential. if the residency committee has a letter from a colleague, someone they know and trust, it's likely to carry more weight than someone they don't know.

this is all hear-say ofcourse.

how the hell do you even pick who to interview if all the factors are qualitative?

I'm sure they try to make it semi-objective.... but it's basically a job interview.... While it's still going to have an element of the chance and randomness, it still comes down to selling your resume like lots of other jobs.....

However, as I'm not even enrolled in a medical school yet.... I can't really speak with too much authority or expertise on the issue.

Archived