Premed 101 Forums

dr. regret?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that's so illogical. med school admissions seems black and white compared to what you described

Again, what do I know....

I was just under the impression that the carms and med school admissions processes weren't too comparable with carms being much more subjective....

But I should leave this for someone who knows/has gone through the process themselves to comment.

I disagree. If you never even consider the fact that there are negatives and that there IS a chance you might be disappointed, you are probably gonna end up being one of those people who tell everyone not to go into medicine. An overly idealistic approach sets one up for major disappointment. I think every premed must ask himself or herself that question.

I agree that you have to consider the negatives, but it is not an 'overly idealistic' approach. No, sorry.

To the OP, when people tell you they wouldn't choose medicine again, or they don't think that medicine is worth it, you really need to ask them to qualify why. Then judge for yourself whether the things that don`t work so well for them, will be important or manageable for you.

Often it isn't the subject of medicine specifically they don't like but rather all the crap that goes along with it. All the things that prevent you from actually doing your job etc.

And it is one thing to cerebrally be aware of the sacrifices you will make along the way in medicine. But you really don`t know what it is like and how you will feel until you are actually there, sleep deprived and missing out on life. And some people just don`t manage well on little sleep and irregular schedules....and you don`t know that til you try it.

I have just finished medical school, and I feel alot differently now than I did going in. And I was pretty informed on my way in.

The nice thing about medicine though...is that there are so many different areas, there is bound to be a place for you somewhere.

i've also heard from a physician that references can be quite influential. if the residency committee has a letter from a colleague, someone they know and trust, it's likely to carry more weight than someone they don't know.

I've heard the same thing. It's also supposed to play a bigger role the smaller the specialty is. For instance, in medical genetics (as an example), there is only a few hundred in the country. Therefore, everyone pretty much knows everyone. The bigger programs like family or internal med, are less influenced by refs because there are so many of them in the country, the chances that most of the selection committee knows them is much smaller.

Like most jobs, who you know carries lots of weight sometimes.

so basically where you go to med school is pretty important

Not exactly.

You will do away electives at the places you really want to match to, so you have an opportunity to impress the program and make contacts at that time.

If you want to match at your home school, you have an advantage in the sense that it is just easier to get known. BUT in most cases it would be hard to predict what specialty/location you will want to match to, so it would be hard to pick your med school solely based on where you think you may want to do residency.

again, it comes down to a similar question. how do directors choose who can do away electives in their program?

it just seems like a fundamental problem when you are evaluating thousands of applicants purely on qualitative measures.

To steer this thread slightly off course: do you guys think that, considering that interviews are, arguably, the most crucial component of the CARMS application process, schools who weigh interviews heavily are doing the right thing when it comes to med school admissions? Therefore admitting people who are obviously strong at interviews, which makes it more likely that they'd perform well on CARMS interviews and have more luck in the matching process?

There is no selection process for away electives that I know of.. usually one applies to the school's electives coordinator on a first-come first-served basis.

Often programs only interview a fraction of residency applications, so other factors are important in getting to the interview stage itself. I think that med schools weighting interviews heavily is more a function of them wanting to select the most suitable candidates rather than to have a better match rate..

again, it comes down to a similar question. how do directors choose who can do away electives in their program?

it just seems like a fundamental problem when you are evaluating thousands of applicants purely on qualitative measures.

Directors don't choose who can do away electives in their program.

You just apply through the electives office and if there is space they will take you (seems pretty much first come first serve - so the earlier you apply the more likely you will get an elective). Of course, there are a few who get electives by contacting the department directly, but it is rather frowned upon.

It is true that carms does seem more subjective than med school applications. And you go to the interviews pretty much unsure of what they might be looking for etc. The thing is...in the end, they just want someone they can be happy working with for the next 5 years. It is not so much about academics - if you made it through med school, chances are they figure they can train you to be whatever kind of doc you are applying to become. Whereas applying to med school, they want to be sure you can handle the workload and also interact well with your peers, pts, colleagues etc.

To steer this thread slightly off course: do you guys think that, considering that interviews are, arguably, the most crucial component of the CARMS application process, schools who weigh interviews heavily are doing the right thing when it comes to med school admissions? Therefore admitting people who are obviously strong at interviews, which makes it more likely that they'd perform well on CARMS interviews and have more luck in the matching process?

Doing an elective with the program you're applying to is really important, just as the interview is; the main reason is that they want to get to know you. I've had more than one program director tell me that, other than competence, the most important factor in picking their new residents is whether or not you seem like the kind of person they want to work alongside. If you won't fit in with the people in that program/their goals for the program, they're setting themselves up for years of grief if they choose you. For example, if it's a high intensity, research-driven program and you're a laid-back person with no research interests and two toddlers to raise, you might not be a good fit. But some programs specifically look for more relaxed people with interests outside of medicine, and in that case, they'll be more likely to take you over a "my life revolves around medicine and I would do it 24/7 if I didn't have to eat or sleep" type of person.

so if i understand correctly, basically to get a certain residency spot, just do an away elective there lol and you're set.

so what about programs that aren't so popular or aren't in big cities. how would people ever fill those spots? i'm sure some programs don't even get any attention so people wouldn't think to do electives there. i don't understand why some quantitative measure isn't used. it's used for literally everything else, why not carms too?

but that could be because applicants are self-selecting, such that if they don't have the academic credentials, they won't apply to the most competitive specialty.

but if there aren't any academic credentials to begin with, how does this work?

i seem to be repeating the same question over and over again. am i the only one who doesn't get how this would work lol

lol, poor n00b is getting all confused.

I'm no expert, but from what I've gathered, most med schools in Canada are on a pass/fail system....so they can't separate out the residency applicants academically since at the end of the day, all everyone has on their transcripts is a bunch of P's.

So basically they evaluate you on the actual person you are ie. based on your EC's and references. Because in reality, if you're already in med school, you're obviously smart. So they just want to pick people with the personality to match that residency position.

haha sorry n00b but marks don't matter anymore once you get into med school. You just have to pass. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So what's the deal with like ultra competitive "lifestyle" specialties like derm, rads, etc? Those are usually highly sought after and in the US, board scores are one way to differentiate applications.

In Canada, people just get picked based on personality? I mean....seriously?

Archived