Premed 101 Forums

writing MCAT in a differnt location

globy321

Has anyone gone out of town to write the MCAT? I'm trying to get a seat in London but all are taken. I'm thinking in taking the test in Toronto which is 200km from London.

Last available date for the MCAT is Sep 12. Does anyone know when do they add new dates with available seats to write the MCAT?

I was living in Kingston but had to write the MCAT in Ottawa, which I think is about 200 km away. I actually preferred writing in this location. I arrived the day before my test and stayed in a hotel the night before the MCAT. Gave me a chance to get away from distractions and just relax and focus before the exam.

I think having to write the MCAT in a different location is a fairly common scenario since spots fill up so quickly.

I wrote in Calgary and I lived about 250 km away at the time. I just booked the noon start and drove out at like 9 am to make sure I wouldn't be late in case something happened. The drive home with an excruciating headache was brutal, but other than that, it wasn't too bad. And yes, I had the worst headache of my life after the MCAT...under any other circumstances, this would've been cause for suspicion of a stroke. That day, it was just because I wrote this med school entrance test...lol.:P

That happened to me back in 2006 with the old school day-long written test. I'm from an hour SOUTH of London and had to write in Toronto. So I drove the ~4 hours to Toronto the day before and stayed over. Drove as far back as Guelph that night ... that was far enough. But I had my University house to stay at... so that was good.

It was a COMPLETE ****-show as they had overbooked students or something for writing the MCAT at the Royal York Hotel and we were SUPER late and homeless were playing a saxaphone outside of our building and played for hours during our exam... SO distracting.

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!

haha... so yah, good luck with that.

I definitely recommend staying over REALLY close to your exam. I stayed at the Royal York, which makes me sound like I'm made of money, but instead I had gotten a great student rate and it wasn't any more than any regular downtown Toronto hotel. Worth the extra ~$30. Got up, had breakfast and walked downstairs... no traffic to contend with.... TO can be a NIGHTMARE.

I was also trying to find a date in London two weeks ago when i booked, but everything was full.

I'm lucky enough to have relatives in Toronto so I just managed to find a time at one of the 50 (it seems) Prometric testing sites in Toronto and booked it. I'm thankful I managed to get a date in August (the 25th) because I was not about to let frosh-week be my last week of studying.

Archived