Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance materials

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why can't they just issue a check based solely on when you were in Canada?

That was only about half of my last 5 years. The rest was spent in random vagabondage. They will still clear me (in 4 weeks), but will have to leave a note like your "check other addresses recommended" thing, but for 30+ countries.

I already sat unemployed for a month this year because I was waiting for this same branch to do my record check before I could work with at risk youth. Apparently that's only valid for 3 months though, and they can't just do an update from the time since I had my last one. They're going to do it all over again from the start.

Bah. I really hope the people at the U of A office are more reasonable about this than I am building it up in my head to be. Find out tomorrow I guess. Till then I'm keeping my spot on U of C's waitlist, that's for sure.

I actually worked (for free) almost every day that month helping one buddy build his dream house and another one dig poop out of his bathroom and then renovate the whole thing after his sewer system exploded. I don't think I've ever actually just "sat around for a month". There are plenty of other reasons to be worried about having me as a roomate though. I'm just not so silly as to reveal them on an internet forum. ;)

Guest rpuff

Went to Calgary Police Services downtown with admissions letter in hand and begged.

Picking it up on Friday now, win. Depends on who you get, the girl I had was young and pretty understanding.

Just so Edmontonians know....I went in to EPS headquarters today and they are processing my check by tomorrow, the lady I talked to knew we needed them before the first and gladly calmed my fears of the two week wait. For calgarias maybe it's worth making the trip and talking to the people actually processing the request, they may be the only ones aware of modified protocol. Good Luck! ..See you in the fall :)

Just so Edmontonians know....I went in to EPS headquarters today and they are processing my check by tomorrow, the lady I talked to knew we needed them before the first and gladly calmed my fears of the two week wait. For calgarias maybe it's worth making the trip and talking to the people actually processing the request, they may be the only ones aware of modified protocol. Good Luck! ..See you in the fall :)

Thanks for the tip, I will look into it when I go to CPS tomorrow.

Jochi heads up... I went to CPS today and the lady said she has received many requests and they will try but she printed a receipt with the CPS logo. She said if there is a problem refer them to our office, "I have no problem explaining the process." She was bewildered because less than a week is relatively unheard of except apparently in Edmonton.

U of A has indicated a receipt is fine though although if you dont pass the check the offer will be rescinded (obviously)

My mom got mine yesterday and is just now fed-exing it to me.

I was told a reciept was OK too, but think I share the impression that it certainly wasn't a "Don't worry about it - you'll be fine, you're one of us now" type of response from the office. More an "OK, we'll let you get away with it, but don't mess anything else up"... I said I was a little nervous about turning down offers from other schools at this point, and nothing was said in response to put my mind at ease.

That said I don't see this ending up in anyone getting sent away if they are doing their best to meet the requirements, but I could see people losing their offer if they just "didn't worry about it".

Went to Calgary Police Services downtown with admissions letter in hand and begged.

Picking it up on Friday now, win. Depends on who you get, the girl I had was young and pretty understanding.

LOL, I think I had the same girl today....because as soon as she saw my letter, she was like, "oh, you are one of those guys who need that done like right away, right!?" LOL I told her that the last person who saw her thought she was cute, heheh (I'm assuming that was the case with you, rpuff, else you wouldn't have shared those details about her :P ). She was quite flattered.

Anyway, they told me it'll be ready on Friday. Unfortunately, I'm at work that day, and taking another day off is not an option (sometimes it sucks to work for "essential services" :rolleyes: ), so I'll be coming to get it on Monday June 1st as early as I can and so hopefully it'll be at U of A on June 2nd.

Guest rpuff

qq, I'M A GIRL!!!

sentence was meant to be read: she was young and thus more sympathetic to the fact that i needed it done, I wasn't commenting on her looks lol

Archived