Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance materials

I'm screwed. I called the office and no exceptions

I'm a Calgary permanent resident and I've called countless police stations, the central security clearance unit and the RCMP. It takes a minimum of two weeks to get one done here because we're such a big city and unless I have a plane ticket that shows I'm going to be out of the country before I can get it done then they won't accelerate it. I even tried Airdrie and Okotoks but I'm an urban resident and it takes them 3 weeks even.

FML why!?!!!!!! Apparently in Edmonton you can get one done in a couple days!

Why don't you e-mail them, too, the more the better. There's no reason why they couldn't just accept a receipt confirming you ordered one by June 1st - my paramedic school had no problem with that.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm screwed. I called the office and no exceptions

I'm a Calgary permanent resident and I've called countless police stations, the central security clearance unit and the RCMP. It takes a minimum of two weeks to get one done here because we're such a big city and unless I have a plane ticket that shows I'm going to be out of the country before I can get it done then they won't accelerate it. I even tried Airdrie and Okotoks but I'm an urban resident and it takes them 3 weeks even.

FML why!?!!!!!! Apparently in Edmonton you can get one done in a couple days!

i'm driving out to St.Albert today to get one from their RCMP office...apparently it only takes 2 days...and the one in Sherwood PArk takes 1 week...but every single police department and the RCMP in Edmonton say its not possible before June 1st...which is frustrating and surely the Admissions Office must know this!?

i'm driving out to St.Albert today to get one from their RCMP office...apparently it only takes 2 days...and the one in Sherwood PArk takes 1 week...but every single police department and the RCMP in Edmonton say its not possible before June 1st...which is bull**** and surely the Admissions Office must know this!?

Did they tell you it's ok to go there even if you don't live there? Because I called some RCMP detachments around Calgary (I figured, to hell with it, I guess I'll have to take a day off work to do this if I can't get it done through my job :rolleyes: ), and they said that since I reside in Calgary, I have to go through Calgary Police Service.:confused: Because if that's the case, then I couldn't get it done through work (most likely, unless they've got some loopholes), either, which means there's no way I could possibly get it done by June 1st.

That was the initial problem I was having when I called various RCMP detachments around Edmonton but I actually spoke to someone at the St Albert location (vs. a recorded message at most other places that say they won't do criminal checks for Edmonton residents) and they said it would be no problem! So i'm keeping my fingers crossed....this whole situation seems really silly because obviously the majority of people are going to have the same issue...and im sure the admissions office will be bombarded with call/emails if they havent already!

That was the initial problem I was having when I called various RCMP detachments around Edmonton but I actually spoke to someone at the St Albert location (vs. a recorded message at most other places that say they won't do criminal checks for Edmonton residents) and they said it would be no problem! So i'm keeping my fingers crossed....this whole situation seems really silly because obviously the majority of people are going to have the same issue...and im sure the admissions office will be bombarded with call/emails if they havent already!

Yeah, my work told me they couldn't do it for me, either.

I called them and they told me to e-mail them and they'll look into it.

Just did and the lady was really nice and she said email it to me, and I will send to the Dean. I think we should be fine if from Calgary. Has anyone called Okotoks or Airdrie?

I called Airdrie and Chestermere, they both said you gotta reside in their jurisdiction for them to do it.

i sent u of a the contact at the calgary police service. i think we will be fine ...

I just spoke to someone there and he said that we will get a receipt stating we requested the criminal record check. He said we should put a note on it with a direct contact to the police station (the phone number for the one in Calgary).

I really doubt its going to be a big deal. Everyone from Calgary is going to have to do this, so they'll just have to wait.

Besides, we don't even have to send in our transcripts technically until June 15th! Thats also a determinant if we are fully accepted or not.

OK, they e-mailed me and said they'll take just the receipt for now and remove the condition from my offer once the record check makes it in. PHEW!

Now, on a different topic - for the deposit, can we pay by credit card or does it need to be a check/money order?

LOL, I ended up having to take a day off work Friday, but I've got a 4-hour drive, so I won't even be in town til noon and I have SO much crap to do (meeting up with a banker about a LOC, as well).:eek:

The U of A stopped accepting credit cards last year...only check or money order...

My best friend got in to U of A as well, and he is in Thailand until mid-August! He left Monday without knowing he even needed a record check...what will he do?

I just went to the RCMP in St. Albert. The lady told me they guarantee it will be done in *2 days* if you go through their office. So if you are from Edmonton or at least near it, it's worth the trip. Also, she said she physically spoke with the Admissions office today, and told them their requirement for June 1 submission is unreasonable, and that they will have problems with students trying to get it on time. She also said this is the first time they have ever requested this criminal record check at the time of admission, so she thinks that they blindly made the requirement without understanding what the process entails, which she said they don't. So, I guess do your best to get it in by June 1, but if you make an effort I don't think you'll be rejected for getting it in the following week :P.

She said "if you have a forum or something, tell them all to come here". So:

RCMP St. Albert

96 Bellevue Dr.

St. Albert, AB T8N 7A4

Hours: M-F 0800-1830h; SATURDAY 0800-1230h

Lucky you guys. My RCMP said 4 weeks, minimum. More for me. They also said I may need to contact the consulates of all the countries I have been to in the last five years that aren't covered by Interpol. I've been in over 30 countries in the last 5 years... Fakk.

I declined my offer to another good school based on the fact I thought it was possible to accept U of A's offer. I almost want to contact them and see if I can't still accept now... :(

I'll be calling first thing tomorrow morning anyways. My mom still hasn't got my package in Sask, so I might not even see the thing before June 1. Bah.

Lucky you guys. My RCMP said 4 weeks, minimum. More for me. They also said I may need to contact the consulates of all the countries I have been to in the last five years that aren't covered by Interpol. I've been in over 30 countries in the last 5 years... Fakk.

That sounds weird. I got my record check from Calgary Police last fall without a problem, even though I had lived in Calgary for only 3 weeks when I applied for it. The only thing they put on there was a stamp saying "criminal record check at previous adress recommended." I did live in Lethbridge for 2 years prior, but before that I was in the US. Why can't they just issue a check based solely on when you were in Canada? It doesn't make sense to me at all.

Archived