Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance materials

Hey guys, when you receive your envelope, can you post what it contains? I am out of town till the 23rd, so I'm gonna have a bit of a tight deadline and I wanna make sure I get everything ready so I can send things back to U of A as soon as I get back home. I'm assuming it'll just entail signing papers and sending $1,000, but I'd appreciate if someone posted the specifics.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just go visit them in the office. Last year Marlene photocopied the materials she sent in the package for me to sign on the spot, since I was out of the country for the acceptance & deposit deadline.

I'm not in Edmonton, otherwise I would.

Although if I end up getting sent to U of A Emerg with a patient transfer this week...why not? LOL.:P

I got my package in the mail this afternoon and it contains the following:

- 2009 Shadowing program: physician and student guidelines

- something about shadowing a family physician before school starts

- the official acceptance letter (which details the 1000$ deposit)

- instructions for criminal check

- confirmation of admission form

I got my package in the mail this afternoon and it contains the following:

- 2009 Shadowing program: physician and student guidelines

- something about shadowing a family physician before school starts

- the official acceptance letter (which details the 1000$ deposit)

- instructions for criminal check

- confirmation of admission form

Is the criminal record check due by June 1st, too, or no? It took me like 3 weeks to get mine in Calgary last time, lol.

Yah from my own experiences it has taken me a while to get the criminal check done.

The sheet about the criminal check says (exactly):

- a current criminal check is to be obtained from your local RCMP or city police department. You must attend in person and present a copy of your offer letter

- The Faculty of Medicine is not responsible for any fees applied in obtaining a criminal record check

- the original copy of the criminal record check is to be returned to the Admissions office. Photocopies, faxes, or electronic versions will not be accepted.

- The criminal record check, Confirmation of Admission form, and the $1000 deposit must be received in the Admission Office by the deadline stated on the offer letter

yah its says Monday June 1st, 2009 on my letter...I assume its the same for everyone who got accepted right off the bat

Darnit, there's no way I'm gonna make the deadline with the criminal record check. I have an old one from November, though, I'm gonna have to e-mail them and see if it's ok to send that one for now. Thanks for your help.

No problem. I just called the Edmonton City Police and they said it would take 2-3 weeks to get one. The cop also told me that sometimes the RCMP does them much faster. Its kindof strange we have to do the criminal check ourselves, surely the Admissions office knows that its not an immediate process!?

Weird, I'm in Calgary. Haven't received anything...

Didn't receive any mail today though actually.

[edit] nevermind. Thats because I screwed myself over and forgot to update my address... so now its being sent to Ontario. Perfect... Does anyone know if UofA will send a copy of the package to your correct address?

Is anyone going to try to contact the admin office to ask what we are supposed to do? The police officer I went to see today said that perhaps I could just hand in the front sheet of the application that has the number on it and proof that it's been submitted. As she too said that it'll be 2-4 weeks, and since I leave the province this Friday for 2.5 weeks, I was going to hand it in this week.... hmmm.....

They MUST know that it's impossible to do what they're asking.

Please post if you contact them, otherwise I'll try later tomorrow afternoon.

I contacted them, explaining that rural RCMP is saying a week minimum and city police is 2-3 weeks. We'll see what they say.

contacted the admissions office??? have they replied yet? b/c I called to tell them the same thing and the lady i spoke too (Diane I think) told me that I should be able to get a criminal record check no problem/in time and that I should go in person (even though I had just spoken to the guy at the Edmonton RCMP and Edmonton City Police and they said it would take 2-3 weeks..the RCMP guy even told me they wouldn't be able to do one unless I was a government employee)...so i dunno...

contacted the admissions office??? have they replied yet?

No, I just e-mailed them late this afternoon.

I guess my situation is a bit different because I am not able to go to the RCMP/police office on a weekday until June 1st, and they are closed on weekends. If I were off on a weekday, I'd definitely just go to a rural office and get it done in a week, but it's not possible for me.

SO they said you couldn't use your November one Jochi? .

Jesus, people, relax, I just told you I emailed them late this afternoon...lol. I'm sure they'll respond tomorrow, and I promise to post what they say here as soon as I get something from them!:P

Jesus, people, relax, I just told you I emailed them late this afternoon...lol.

Ahh, sorry. I can't actually read and the guy who does it for me had to leave early.... You think that's something I should be worried about too? For med skool adn stuuf?

:o:D

Guest rpuff

I'm screwed. I called the office and no exceptions

I'm a Calgary permanent resident and I've called countless police stations, the central security clearance unit and the RCMP. It takes a minimum of two weeks to get one done here because we're such a big city and unless I have a plane ticket that shows I'm going to be out of the country before I can get it done then they won't accelerate it. I even tried Airdrie and Okotoks but I'm an urban resident and it takes them 3 weeks even.

FML why!?!!!!!! Apparently in Edmonton you can get one done in a couple days!

Archived