Premed 101 Forums

Advice needed on my current situation...

Hey everybody -

I am a pharmacy student entering the 4th year of pharmacy school. I did two years of undergrad before entering pharmacy school. My overall OMSAS GPA is about 3.6 and my August 2006 MCAT scores are 11(PS)-11(VR)-12(BS)-Q.

I wanted your opinion in how competitive I am in terms of medical schools in Ontario. Would they consider that pharmacy is a professional undergraduate program, and give a bit more compensation in terms of the lower GPA? What are my estimated chances of entering medical school based on recent statistics.

Any input would be much appreciated!

non-trad? Pharmacy is still an undergraduate degree. Also I doubt it's any harder than other programs. the word 'professional' doesn't mean it's more difficult, just that this is all you need to get a job (same with eng. and nursing)

if anything there might be a red flag about the pharmacy degree. I have heard (quote 'heard' so nothing set in stone) that some schools frown upon pharm students switching to med.

But I guess to answer your question, 3.6 is a little on the lower end of the competitive spectrum, but certainly not out of a chance (see all the stats posts by Jochi). I do believe, however, that the notion that they'll consider pharmacy to be more challenging than other degrees and thus compensate your GPA is ridiculous

I also doubt that the degree difficulty is considered much. All undergrads are considered pretty much equal - some of the more difficult program have had problems with that for ages.

For some of the med schools in Ontario you would need to explore a break down of your grades to match the schools specific policies - Westerns best two years, Queens last two years in your case, Ottawas is last three, and Toronto will potentially drop some of them. Hard to be very specific without that.

How did you find pharmacy? It is an interesting degree.

Archived