Premed 101 Forums

Stupid Analogy for premeds

So, my fiance is always making the dorkiest analogies about everything.

Really groan-worthy cr@p most of the time, but this one I just had to share.

So, you know how people are always asking what the best course of action is to compensate for a underwhelming undergrad gpa? Grad work, ECs, etc, and forum members are almost always recommending additional undergrad years to boost gpa.

Well, Hubby busts out with this golden nugget of insight that just about had me spewing coffee all over

"So, let me get this right. Someone with an amazing undergrad gpa is like the really hot girl at the party that everyone wants to talk to, even if she's rumoured to be a total b!tch, and someone with an awful undergrad gpa, no matter what amazing things they add to it, is hideous but really really charming and generally gets ignored?"

My hunny's a corporate whore who never went to university, his take on things is always...er...interesting.

However, it seems so true. Amazing candidates get treated like garbage if they don't have absolutely incredible grades, and everyone knows some 4.0 wacko who they shudder to imagine as a doctor who gets a ton of interviews.

Guest Shim

The thing is, there's no correlation between grades and kindness.

In any system, you will lose good candidates. Interviews for high GPA is fair and is the most accurate procedure for medicine candidates.

So, my fiance is always making the dorkiest analogies about everything.

Really groan-worthy cr@p most of the time, but this one I just had to share.

So, you know how people are always asking what the best course of action is to compensate for a underwhelming undergrad gpa? Grad work, ECs, etc, and forum members are almost always recommending additional undergrad years to boost gpa.

Well, Hubby busts out with this golden nugget of insight that just about had me spewing coffee all over

"So, let me get this right. Someone with an amazing undergrad gpa is like the really hot girl at the party that everyone wants to talk to, even if she's rumoured to be a total b!tch, and someone with an awful undergrad gpa, no matter what amazing things they add to it, is hideous but really really charming and generally gets ignored?"

My hunny's a corporate whore who never went to university, his take on things is always...er...interesting.

However, it seems so true. Amazing candidates get treated like garbage if they don't have absolutely incredible grades, and everyone knows some 4.0 wacko who they shudder to imagine as a doctor who gets a ton of interviews.

lol malkynn

i need to get in your circle of friends.

^

LOLOLOLOL

Med students are not an attractive bunch by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm not certain about other schoosl, but we had a CBL session back in September that used BMI data from the year ahead of us, and it made us realize that, out of two years of med students at U of O, we have VERY few classmates who are overweight. Way lower than the national average.

So at our school, there does seem to be a certain correlation between appearance and acceptance.

I'm not certain about other schoosl, but we had a CBL session back in September that used BMI data from the year ahead of us, and it made us realize that, out of two years of med students at U of O, we have VERY few classmates who are overweight. Way lower than the national average.

So at our school, there does seem to be a certain correlation between appearance and acceptance.

The confounding factor is that health students are more focused on their health and being overweight is unhealthy.

^

LOLOLOLOL

Med students are not an attractive bunch by any stretch of the imagination.

You my friend have not seen what Malkynn or Jochi look like ;). Theres at least 5 more on this forum that I can't seem to remember right now.

And real med students always look way hotter than the stereotypical reclusive nerd image that I always have stuck in my head.

just because there may be better looking med students, I doubt it's because they had any subconscious effect of impression on the interviewers.

I'd put my money on it down being a cycle-of-confidence thing. As a generalization, better looking people have less problems socially in school and are generally more confident about themselves -> thus succeeding in life

• 4 weeks later...
just because there may be better looking med students, I doubt it's because they had any subconscious effect of impression on the interviewers.

I'd put my money on it down being a cycle-of-confidence thing. As a generalization, better looking people have less problems socially in school and are generally more confident about themselves -> thus succeeding in life

I think this is true... people are generally nicer towards people who are better looking. And generally think that they are nicer people.

Everyone's standards of "nice looking" however, are different. I think as long as you're not too ugly, you can do okay :)

Archived