Premed 101 Forums

GPA

Guest jeffbeene

Guest jeffbeene

I know that the GPA cutoff stated on the UT website was ~3.60. But, does anyone actually get offered an interview with this kind of mark? I'm right about there (after the 4 course drop), and would like to know if it's worth applying to UT. Do they take a stellar MCAT into consideration?

Thanks.

JB

Guest thelaze

U of T doesn't actually consider the MCAT beyond the applicant making the cutoffs (9's and an N, I think).

However, someone with a great autobio sketch and a kickass essay who thinks they could get across in an interview really well why they would make a great physician should definitely apply.

Guest Lakers4life

Not sure about the GPA, but the usual avergare of the entering class is aruond 3.85 and higher, so you would likely need to be very outstanding to get consdeiration at 3.60

Guest jeffbeene

So do you get mathematically eliminated if you are under a gpa cutoff (But are over 3.60), or will they at least read your bio/essays?

thanks

JB

Guest Lakers4life

Hey,

Sadly, yes the computer will kick you under 3.60 unless you are a grad sutdent [3.0 I believe].

No one knows what the acutal cutoff is for interviews. The listed 3.60 is too low to explain why the class average is always very close to 3.90. All that is known is that graduate students get more flexibility with their grades and can be on the lower end and still make it in.

A 3rd/4th yr applicant would not be likely to receive an interview at 3.60 unless they were outstanding otherwise. Since I don't know what the exact number is, I can't speculate, but 3.80-3.85 would seem reasonable to me.

Guest also in limbo

not sure what my gpa was according to toronto, but my overall gpa upon applying was about 84% (so around 3.75?). i was offered an interview and waitlisted this year. hope that gives some hope to those without the 4.0 gpas!

Guest thelaze

I've been accepted with a 3.77 GPA. No grad school. Good essay and interview.

I believe the average entering GPA over the last two years has hovered between 3.82-3.84.

Guest Jazzey

Does anyone know what the average GPA of grad students who enter the program is? Is it still around the 3.82-3.84 mark? And does anyone know how the final GPA is calculated for grad students? Is it split 50/50 with your undergrad GPA?

Thanks!

Guest Lakers4life

Just goes to show you how hard it is to guage the GPA cutoff. I would say that anything over 3.70 and you shouldn't exclude yourself.

The averages have been b/w 3.84-3.87 I believe over the past 4 years, but that is only the average so half the class would be below that level.

Guest Leester17

I was accepted as well with one of my MCAT scores only an 8, a reasonable GPA, but I guess a good sketch, essay, and interview!

Hope that helps!

Guest jeffbeene

hey, thanks to everyone who replied so far. Any other sucess stories out there with 'reasonable' GPA/ other stats? I'm at around a 3.63 with a strong mcat, EC's...etc, degree is finished also.

Also, does the OMSAS computer auto calculate your UofT GPA, or do you manually eliminate courses?

Thanks,

JB.

Guest Chieka

Jeff, OMSAS will not calculate your U of T GPA - you have to do that yourself.

As to your other question, I suppose that I too am a success story. I had borderline MCATs scores, not to fancy GPA, but I got in on the first round. True, I'm a grad student, but my Master's program is only one year long, so transcripts didn't play much a role in my app. And if they did, they likely played a -ve role, if you catch my drift (it has been a rough year :b ). So bottom line? Apply! Work really hard on your essay, and when you get the interview, go-on-wichyobaaaad self. :hat I see absolutely no reason to apply!

All the best!

C.

Guest idreamofmeds

I am a similar situation. I have a GPA of 3.64 in both my first and second year, but I'm confident I'll pull off decent MCAT scores. So I'm hoping that with my EC's and a great essay I might be able to pull something off. I will be applying for my first time this fall, and I was wondering what the UofT essay entails (I haven't seen an application form yet). Thanks!

Archived