Premed 101 Forums

What do you eat during med?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a deliciously unhealthy recipe that I ate a little too much while I was doing my master's. I can't eat them anymore because I have celiac disease, but they are good, easy, portable, and re-heatable.

Chicken Roll-Ups

-a couple of tubes of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

-a block of cream cheese

-some canned chicken breast (you could use beans if you're a vegetarian)

-some grated cheddar or other cheese

-some chopped onion

Mix everything except the crescent rolls together in a bowl. Open up the crescent roll tubes. Put a spoonful of filling on each crescent roll, then roll up. You might need to fold the ends over a little bit so the filling stays in. Bake according to the directions on the tube. You can eat them cold or nuke them, and you could also experiment with other fillings. Enjoy!

I can't see my diet changing during meds from what it is now. I spend a total of about 10 minutes a day cooking.

Breakfast: 1x whole wheat wrap /w 1x egg + 3x egg whites

Morning: Casein protein shake /w berries

Lunch: Mixed fruits

Afternoon: Another casein protein shake /w berries

Dinner: Mixed green salad with chicken & walnuts or a wrap with chicken & rice

Night: Cottage cheese /w berries

Plain, relatively cheap and very healthy bodybuilding diet. Just remember two things, 1. you can put anything into a wrap and 2. your body will thank you for salads.

I eat out tons. Probably too much. Nothing fancy, but there are tons of little places within a walking distance to grab a quick bite at a decent price in TO. The other times I go down to grocery store and pick up an easy to prepare or pre-prepared meal.

With this said, I love cooking. I use to cook way more back in the day. These days during chunks of the school year getting a chance to cook a decent and well prepared meal is kinda a luxurious type of activity. However, you totally should try it out! Take some lessons or just experiment with some recipes etc. You might get hooked! :)

Here is one of my favorite places: http://www.epicurious.com/

I'm obsessed with my slow cooker. If you're interested, here's a great blog written by a Mom who used her slow cooker every day for a year (kind of like julie/julia). Shes hilarious and the best part, gluten free!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

OMG Janny. You just saved my life. lol :D Guess what I'm going to be doing for the next year and a bit? I'm off to buy a slow cooker. lol

• 1 month later...

Its better to eat and drink as long as you feel comfortable because you need energy for labor. No caffeine though. Water, Gatorade, Juice, Clear liquids. Don't eat anything too heavy. Maybe crackers and cheese, Cereal, soup, sandwich, because remember sometimes you can get sick and throw it back up and I think the last thing you want in labor is a tummy ache as well. So eat things that You know don't make your stomach upset, are nutritious and light.

Quesadillas are really easy. Just throw some onions, peppers, a tomato or salsa and black beans (or chicken if you eat meat) in a pan, add a bit of oil (a few teaspoons) and cook until tasty, add hot sauce to taste, then throw on a tortilla in a pan (the same pan if you just remove the stuffing first), add grated cheese and then another tortilla. It's pretty good, really quick and relatively healthy if you don't add too much cheese.

Soups are great because they can be made in advance (on weekends) and they stay good. Creams of (insert vegetable here) are really easy if you're not used to cooking. You just have to cook all the veggies any way you like (microwave, boil, steam...), then blend it all (you need a relatively decent blender) and add milk & seasonings to taste. It's good if you grate a bit of Parmesan cheese over it as you're about to serve it.

When I want a sandwich in a hurry, I like a pita with hummus, pieces of canned artichokes and cheddar cheese, thrown in the toaster oven for a few minutes and then rolled into a wrap. It may sound a bit odd but it's really good.

I also like the PC frozen pasta meals. There's different kinds, they come in a bag with the pasta, veggies and meat of whatever kind. All you have to do is throw in a pan and cook. It's surprisingly tasty! They have asparagus, shrimp, scallops, etc. Ready in 10-15 minutes, so as fast as KD. They're a bit salty, but no more than KD I don't think.

Amy's makes really good frozen vegetarian dishes. They can be found in the organic section of the supermarket. They're usually pretty healthy, although a quick read of the label is good if you're concerned about that. I like pretty much everything I've tasted from them, but their burritos, pizzas & canned soups are what I buy most often.

Shrimp salad is really good too. I just make a normal vegetable salad and add freshly cooked shrimp. To cook them, just throw them in a pot of water on the stovetop on high and wait for it to boil over (well, take it off the stove top just before it does). When I do this they're perfect every time.

When I want a breakfast to go I often just have the yogurt drinks you can buy. Can't get much easier than that.

Hope somebody will find some of this usefull!

I found this useful!! :)

This thread is gold! lol.

I cook a week's worth of food in one day, then eat from that the rest of the week. My meals strictly consist of brown rice, bean stew, broccoli, and sometimes scrambled eggs. I maintain a very strict vegetarian diet. My breakfast consist of 2 boiled eggs and a fruit (usually a banana).

I made this on Sunday and I still have a serving left for lunch today.

A time-saving modification:

Don't make the marinara sauce separately: I just fried the meatballs in a large dutch oven (in batches, without overcrowding the pan so you get a nice fond) and then added two cans of crushed tomatoes on top. It works just as well and I couldn't taste the difference between making it the other way. Throw some red pepper flakes in the oil before adding the tomatoes, if you like your sauce spicy.

is medschool that time consuming that there isnt even an hr to spare to make a proper meal?

No, as long as you have time management skills there will be plenty of time. Although things do seem to get pretty hefty coming up to and during the assessment weeks. Also, its going to largely depend on how much time you are willing to devote to your studies vs. personal life vs. social life.

There are a lot of uncooked things that you can eat. Raw fruits, berries and vegetables and nuts and seeds are easy and healthy.

Every medical student should learn how to cook healthy foods to be a good example to patients and to keep himself or herself healthy. Get a simple cook book out of the library. There are cookbooks written especially for students with directions for cooking for one person.

Please stay away for mac and cheese. mac is an low in food value and that cheese it comes with is not real cheese. Beware of eating a lot of gluten and dairy foods. many people are sensitive to these foods.

An easy meal is to cook rice and lentils in a rice cooker. Small orange lentils will cook at the same rate as rice so they can be cooked together. Brown rice is better than white rice. Have it with raw vegetables and/or some vegetables cooked for just a few minutes in a bit of water. Drink the water that you used to cook the vegetables so that you don't lose the vitamins that were lost into the water during cooking.

Avocado mixed with salsa sauce makes a great snack on corn chips.

Humus, peanut butter or homemade bean dip go well with corn chips or whole grain bread and some fruit for a bag lunch. Bean dip can be made by blending a cup of canned cooked white or black beans with a tablespoon of olive oil and some spices such as cumin, curry, garlic powder or oregano. Be creative.

Hard boiled eggs are easy to cook. Put 2 or more eggs into a small pot with just enough water to cover the eggs. Let the water come to a boil but leave the eggs in the hot water for 15 minutes to continue to cook in the hot water. Take one to school for today's lunch and put one in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch. If you put an elastic band around the hard boiled egg(s) in the fridge you will not mix it(them) up with the raw eggs.

Limit your coffee and alcohol intake.

All female students must remember to take a folic acid supplement. (any multivitamin will include it.)

Taking care of your own health is more important than becoming a doctor.

There are a lot of uncooked things that you can eat. Raw fruits, berries and vegetables and nuts and seeds are easy and healthy.

Every medical student should learn how to cook healthy foods to be a good example to patients and to keep himself or herself healthy. Get a simple cook book out of the library. There are cookbooks written especially for students with directions for cooking for one person.

Please stay away for mac and cheese. Macaroni is low in food value. Beware of eating too much gluten and dairy foods. Many people are sensitive to gluten found in wheat, oats and barley and to dairy products.

An easy meal is to cook rice and lentils in a rice cooker. Small orange lentils will cook at the same rate as rice so they can be cooked together. Brown rice is better than white rice. Have it with raw vegetables and/or some vegetables cooked for just a few minutes in a bit of water. Drink the water that you used to cook the vegetables so that you don't lose the vitamins that were lost into the water during cooking.

Avocado mixed with salsa sauce makes a great snack on corn chips.

Humus, peanut butter or homemade bean dip go well with corn chips or whole grain bread and some fruit for a bag lunch. Bean dip can be made by blending a cup of canned cooked white or black beans with a tablespoon of olive oil and some spices such as cumin, curry, garlic powder or oregano. Be creative.

Hard boiled eggs are easy to cook. Put 2 or more eggs into a small pot with just enough water to cover the eggs. Let the water come to a boil and then turn off the element, but leave the eggs in the hot water for 15 minutes to continue to cook in the hot water. Take one to school for today's lunch and put one in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch. If you put an elastic band around the hard boiled egg(s) in the fridge you will not mix it(them) up with the raw eggs.

Limit your coffee and alcohol intake.

All female students must remember to take a folic acid supplement. (any multivitamin will include it.)

Taking care of your own health is more important than becoming a doctor.

is medschool that time consuming that there isnt even an hr to spare to make a proper meal?

No, it's just that when you are stressed, it can be a hassle to have to plan meals, go grocery shopping, cook them, then worry about bringing them with you wherever you go, making sure the food doesn't leak into your bag, finding a microwave to warm them up, etc. So during exam time, cooking easily takes a back seat.

Archived