Premed 101 Forums

What do you eat during med?

So after all the excitment, I realized now that i'll be leaving home, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO COOK! I'm wondering what "quick" meals everyone enjoys during the stressful times of med. I'm afraid mac and cheese will get boring after a while...:D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, never, NEVER pass a free lunch. Every so often there will be talks given during lunch hour, and half of the time the talk has a "free lunch/snack if you RSVP" deal thing going, in order to attract people to come to the talks. Always sign up and go to them. And no, you don't have to feel guilty, the different groups that organize these talks have budgets set aside for just that purpose, and if you don't go, other people still will.

Sometimes, leftover free food from talks (that you forgot to sign up for) will be brought to the med student lounge or classroom. It's every man for themselves at that point. Grow a thick skin and be the first to grab as much as you can. If you don't others will.

It's your survival afterall. Food is food. Cold pizza still taste good!

Secondly, I found it convenient to just buy a slow cooker, and toss random stuff into it to make a stew that I can put on rice or noodles. That usually last me a whole week. Cooking noodles and rice is pretty straightforward. Buy pre-made pasta sauce in bottles. Frozen meat balls if you want, and just heat and serve.

The rest is just fruits and veggies, mostly salad, so no cooking involved.

Those packaged condensed curry blocks (Japanese ones) from Asian food markets are a god-send at making something easy and delicious. Just throw some meat/chicken, onions, carrots, and water into a pot. Bring to boil over low heat, then add curry blocks and you're done.

And yeah... cook on weekends, enough for a whole week, rinse and repeat.

Other survival tips include lots of canned soups/peas/chili, and um... if you buy a small freezer you can freeze months worth of home cooking in individual servings.

Lots of milk and cereal in the morning. Oh and granola bars.

Secondly, I found it convenient to just buy a slow cooker, and toss random stuff into it to make a stew that I can put on rice or noodles. That usually last me a whole week. Cooking noodles and rice is pretty straightforward. Buy pre-made pasta sauce in bottles. Frozen meat balls if you want, and just heat and serve.

That's great advice, slow cookers definitely ARE a lifesaver when you're busy.

i cant cook. made it 3 yrs so far just fine lol.

the microwave is my friend. as are frozen care packages from mom.

Wow...but doesn't that food get boring after a while?

Seriously, cooking isn't that bad at all. Cooking NICE food on the other hand..thats a different story. But cooking by itself can be picked up in like a couple of days (true story).

Our school has an Interest in Nutrition Group that puts on semi-monthly events called 'community kitchens' where basic cooking and grocery shopping skills are taught. If this doesn't already exist in your school, you can always start one ;)

Sweet & Sour Meatballs

Equal amt of ketchup and ginger ale in pot brought to heat, say 3 or 4 cups of each

Make small meat balls, about 1 lb minced meat, salt, pepper, one egg, bread crumbs optional

Roll meat balls in your hand, make them small so that they will be ready quickly, drop them gently into pot…ready to eat in 5-10 minutes, yummy, soak extra sauce from plate in bread. It takes about 5 minutes to prepare and less than 10 minutes in the pot. Refrigerate what you don't eat andyou can microwave future portions.

My quick, easy, cheap meals include the following:

- smoothies with whatever I got (milk, yogur, frozen fruit, tofu)

- stir fry with any and all veggies and tofu, can be taken wrapped in a tortilla shell the next day for a great lunch.

- rice: i always cook up a pot of brown rice sundays for the week

- beans/lentils: can go in salad, can go on rice, can go with stir fry (fibre & protein!)

- salads with any and all veggies (nuts and dried fruit if I am feeling fancy)

- pasta: i buy bulk sauce and freeze it in ziplocs that are ready to use, and and I buy bulk pasta, then just throw in any veggies I have

- grilled cheese: add a salad, or a veggie and you've got a great meal!

- cereal: buy it bulk, can be great as ANY meal with fresh fruit on top

- porridge: same as above

- crackers and cheese: can't go wrong (less processed than mac and cheese)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I am of course a vegetarian, so you can add meat to any of the above and make it a balanced meal!

My quick, easy, cheap meals include the following:

- smoothies with whatever I got (milk, yogur, frozen fruit, tofu)

- stir fry with any and all veggies and tofu, can be taken wrapped in a tortilla shell the next day for a great lunch.

- rice: i always cook up a pot of brown rice sundays for the week

- beans/lentils: can go in salad, can go on rice, can go with stir fry (fibre & protein!)

- salads with any and all veggies (nuts and dried fruit if I am feeling fancy)

- pasta: i buy bulk sauce and freeze it in ziplocs that are ready to use, and and I buy bulk pasta, then just throw in any veggies I have

- grilled cheese: add a salad, or a veggie and you've got a great meal!

- cereal: buy it bulk, can be great as ANY meal with fresh fruit on top

- porridge: same as above

- crackers and cheese: can't go wrong (less processed than mac and cheese)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I am of course a vegetarian, so you can add meat to any of the above and make it a balanced meal!

Yum! I'm inviting myself over for dinner :P

yup that is an outstanding combination. I have a variety of tomato soups ready on standby for this exact reason.

I hate tomato soup, so maybe I've tried this combo, but it was a long, long time ago.

I have a passion for tuna melts, too. I actually just tore out a "10 grown-up grilled cheese sandwiches" from some women's magazine (Chatelaine or something) a few days ago, I'm gonna get my partner at work to make me a new one every week, lol.

Quesadillas are really easy. Just throw some onions, peppers, a tomato or salsa and black beans (or chicken if you eat meat) in a pan, add a bit of oil (a few teaspoons) and cook until tasty, add hot sauce to taste, then throw on a tortilla in a pan (the same pan if you just remove the stuffing first), add grated cheese and then another tortilla. It's pretty good, really quick and relatively healthy if you don't add too much cheese.

Soups are great because they can be made in advance (on weekends) and they stay good. Creams of (insert vegetable here) are really easy if you're not used to cooking. You just have to cook all the veggies any way you like (microwave, boil, steam...), then blend it all (you need a relatively decent blender) and add milk & seasonings to taste. It's good if you grate a bit of Parmesan cheese over it as you're about to serve it.

When I want a sandwich in a hurry, I like a pita with hummus, pieces of canned artichokes and cheddar cheese, thrown in the toaster oven for a few minutes and then rolled into a wrap. It may sound a bit odd but it's really good.

I also like the PC frozen pasta meals. There's different kinds, they come in a bag with the pasta, veggies and meat of whatever kind. All you have to do is throw in a pan and cook. It's surprisingly tasty! They have asparagus, shrimp, scallops, etc. Ready in 10-15 minutes, so as fast as KD. They're a bit salty, but no more than KD I don't think.

Amy's makes really good frozen vegetarian dishes. They can be found in the organic section of the supermarket. They're usually pretty healthy, although a quick read of the label is good if you're concerned about that. I like pretty much everything I've tasted from them, but their burritos, pizzas & canned soups are what I buy most often.

Shrimp salad is really good too. I just make a normal vegetable salad and add freshly cooked shrimp. To cook them, just throw them in a pot of water on the stovetop on high and wait for it to boil over (well, take it off the stove top just before it does). When I do this they're perfect every time.

When I want a breakfast to go I often just have the yogurt drinks you can buy. Can't get much easier than that.

Hope somebody will find some of this usefull!

My favourite quick + unhealthy meal to make is philadelphia cheesesteak sandwiches. Just cut up onions, green peppers, about a tsp of garlic and about 1/2 pound of ribeye steak and then fry it all together with a healthy serving of cheese mixed in. I prefer Gouda cheese. :)

Archived