Premed 101 Forums

Grad School Marks

How important are grad marks? I know for Ottawa, in order to have a Grad review you need to have obtained an 'A' for every grad level course.

I am in a research based masters and I am asking because I just received a B+ for one of my courses. My other marks are 3 A's and an A+. I want to know if that B+ will have any other negative effects on my application.

Thanks

How important are grad marks? I know for Ottawa, in order to have a Grad review you need to have obtained an 'A' for every grad level course.

I am in a research based masters and I am asking because I just received a B+ for one of my courses. My other marks are 3 A's and an A+. I want to know if that B+ will have any other negative effects on my application.

Thanks

Most schools won't consider them, its all UG grades. Also Ottawa doesn't have a grad stream anymore (just got cancelled).

i've heard UofT places quite a bit of emphasis on them (A- to be competitive - right off their website). From my discussions over the telephone, they are "quite important". They also will have some weighting in Queen's review of grad students who don't meet the undergrad gpa cut-off as they review your whole file if you hit the mcat cut off. I think UofT cares more though but thats my take

Thanks for the info, but is that an A- average from all your courses or an A- in every course? Because I do have an A- average just not an A- in every course.

I am not too worried about this because my undergrad GPA is above cut offs for queens and is ok for ottawa, but relatively low for UofT (Btw I go to UfT). I am just pissed...

i've heard UofT places quite a bit of emphasis on them (A- to be competitive - right off their website). From my discussions over the telephone, they are "quite important". They also will have some weighting in Queen's review of grad students who don't meet the undergrad gpa cut-off as they review your whole file if you hit the mcat cut off. I think UofT cares more though but thats my take

Thanks for the info, but is that an A- average from all your courses or an A- in every course? Because I do have an A- average just not an A- in every course.

I am not too worried about this because my undergrad GPA is above cut offs for queens and is ok for ottawa, but relatively low for UofT (Btw I go to UfT). I am just pissed...

What happened in the course? Pretty strange for a prof to do that, and I am sure you put the effort into it!

I dont wanna be an ass, and i know that grad school marks dont mean anything...

but a b+ is pretty bad...(u wont even be able to get ogs or nserc with 1 b+)

i think they want a 4.0 in gradschool...

u should have applied queens

Where are you getting your info? I know people with grades lower than a B+ who were awarded NSERCs. I also know of grad students who had less than 4.0s in grad school and were admitted to med schools.

I had a B in a grad course lol. But then marks don't mean much in grad school, still got a NSERC CGS.

You are an ass and a perfect example of why this site needs an idiot filter. Let me know if you want me to explain this further to you as someone like yourself probably needs all the help you can get. You have no clue what your talking about. How do you know grad school marks don't mean anything? You even looked at UofT's website? - you know the part where they mention grad school marks are important. Perhaps you're a medical school admissions officer and know better but from the two schools I've personally talked to (Queens and UofT) they are important, more so if you don't mean the undergrad cut off. If you figure out how to do a search on this forum, there is more info available but i gather it is easier for people like you to rip others since the internet makes it easy to do that.

To the OP, it is my understanding it is the average that needs to be a A-. You can always call and double check. Not sure if you are new to the forum but while it's a great place for information, when you can, double check what people tell you. So grab a phone and just call - likely quicker than posting. You will also find some people are only on this site to discourage you from applying to medschool. Just check up on a certain poster's other threads/replies if you wonder if they are credibile or not............

Thanks for the helpful info. I am not totally down on myself now:P

Oh and btw for the person who said I would not get any scholarships, I have an OGS :P For scholarships and such grad school marks mean much less, where as grad productivity is worth more in the decision process.

In my experience grad school marks don't mean anything.

I did a research based Master's and had to take 3 courses over two years. I would lose my funding if I got a mark below an A-. All the professors knew of this stipulation, and wouldn't dare give a mark below an A-; or they'd have to deal with my supervisor, who would be angry at them for jeopardizing my funding.

Some medical schools might look at my grad school marks, but they probably shouldn't.

I don't think they should. The grading schemes are too subjective, and not well standardized across schools. I don't know of anyone in my grad program who got less than an A on anything - it was effectively pass/fail, with an 'A' being a pass. I do know of people who got A's in classes they did the work for less than half the time though (i.e whenever they showed up). WOuld suck for someone who's grad instructors actually marked students to have to compete with someone from my program.

if they do take them into account, they should take class average into account too.

the only thing that matters is what the adcoms do. Our opinions don't mean jack - you can already see a biased from undergrads and from grads on this site. So if you want to know if grad marks count or are important, check out the schools' website. The only real source.

From U of A's website:

For applicants in a graduate program, you are subject to the same course requirements as applicants with Bachelor degrees with no course exemptions. The overall cumulative GPA is calculated using all transferable post-secondary work completed (with the deletion of the lowest year GPA) along with your graduate courses. Applicants who have obtained a Masters or Ph.D. by Thesis may be asked to provide the name and address of the Chair of their Defense Committee so that an evaluation of their Thesis may be obtained. The English prerequisite is required for all MD applicants.

http://www.med.ualberta.ca/Education/UGME/admissions/dofm_require.cfm

i was suggesting what dr.s did...

by grad courses being useless..i ment that u can get a 4.0 without doing anything...

should they include them? i beleive so, and y not (it is only a .5 course), i had been in some undergrad seminar courses that were exactly the same.and averages were high...u cannot undermine 1 degree...esp a msc...if u did that then they should standarize all undergrad schools, majors, courses and there averages (something like th us does..to a degree)..

and i just remeber reading something that graduate courses below a- is not acceptable...i dont know what school it was...or a forum...so yea...

and ps..please dont repond to my reply...i really honestly dont care...

i say, don't stress. you can't really go back and change it (from my understanding this generally looks worse to most schools), so just try to learn from it, and explain it when you have to. i'm doing my masters at u of t, and in my department, they DEFINITELY give out b's and b+ just like undergrad (in fact, a- or b+ is considered the average) whereas a friend of mine doing a masters in english says that everyone gets an A in her program unless they fail a course outright, so every program is different.

i've contacted every school in ontario's admissions office, and those schools that said that grad marks are actually looked at at all (queens, u of t, northern... ottawa was a little more vague) said that they consult them to give you the benefit of the doubt (ie: bad marks in undergrad? let's check out the masters to see if there's improvement) but they aren't considered in the same way as undergrad by a longshot... if it's helpful, i'd be happy to send you my email conversations with them. i agree with the poster that said that grad school is more about productivity than marks...

Thanks for the information everyone. I just wanted to gain more information on the topic. I think what i really wanted to get out of this was that having a B+, isn't like a flag that says you won't get in to med school (even though this is not what i expect). My undergrad GPA does meet the cutoffs for a lot of schools.

It would be helpful if people who got in without A's across the board post here. Grad marks are a very messed up system. I am in a program that requires me to take 4-5 courses compared to other programs that only require 2-3 courses to be taken (both being research based Masters programs)...so I hope the adcoms take these factors into consideration when the review grad apps, but who knows...

Like the post above I am not worrying about it too much, I am sure there are ways to recover...(ie. a lot of grad productivity)

Archived